Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Welcome new members » Who Am I? - An Intro to |shirley Arriey

Who Am I? - An Intro to |shirley Arriey

Tags : None
  • Hi All

I didn't put much in my "About Me" section on my profile. I've probably got enough material to write my own book L) and as I contribute to the forums/blogs/community I hope you get a better feel for who I am but for the time being here's a little more flesh to sink your teeth into...

I'm Deafblind (Profoundly Deaf and Legally Blind) which had a late start from the age of about 10 with a gradual deterioriation over the years so I have a fairly good grasp of English and speak fairly well (albeit now with a Deaf accent).  I now know Australian Sing Language (Auslan) but don't have enough vision to receive it properly so I use Deafblind Fingerspelling as my main communication method.

I've been crossdressing since I was 11-12. I think at the time it emerged as I transitioned from a very sporty 10 year old (BMX, Tennis, swimming were my main ones) to someone who had insufficient depth perception to undertake these sports and therefore became a much more soft spoken and more in touch with my inner self type of person. It was an interesting change for me as I'd normally had a much better relationship with my Dad but as time progressed I became closer to my Mum (although we weren't ostracised from each other).

We lived in very small towns in Australia so my capacity to dress was hidden as often everyone knew everyone else (population less than 100) but it was always there when I had the chance. Later in life and as my freedom grew so did Shirley. I still kept it fairly seperate as I've been an active member in the Deafblind Community and in a few positions of responsibility. Due to my disability and these days, the fact that I use a dog for mobility, I am also not one of those people that are easily forgotten in a crowd

My general belief and understanding is that I see no reason why Males should be restricted to being masculine and vice versa. I dislike the early age onset of society distinguishing very drastically between what is the norm for the two gender roles and I often wonder what would happen if you isolated a group and reversed the socially taught role models (if you've ever watched a movie called "The Experiment" you might understand what i mean).

Shirley is part :

- Buck the system

- A creative outlet

- A break from the roles and responsibilities of my every day life where there are no responsibilities and I have an opportunity to be carefree.

- A performer but not a mockery, more a study in the ability to replicate and reproduce the feminity and to cherish what feminity is all about.

I have a zest for life and a desire to live and enjoy it. Flambouyant and Carefree are probably the two key personality traits that get expressed. Mix that in with a terrible flirt and a wicked sense of humour and you've got me a T(G). I don't and won't fit the regular moulds (much to my psych's dimary) because I'm proud to be who I am and don't feel a need to fit into someone else's box. I live for the now and not for tomorrow (though I keep it in mind and yes I've done plenty of soul searching) nor in the past. I'm 50/50 male/female and we'll leave it that, it's what I like and i enjoy the ability to express either way (though I'm not intersexed either).

I'm not strong with the religious stuff either but if there's one thing I think you should beleive in more than anythig else, it's yourself. That is a very powerful faith to have and something I try to possess and keep hold of (along with my humour).

Take care and I hope to get to know the rest of you to a much better extent as time goes by.

This post was edited by Shirley Arriey at May 8, 2015 3:36 AM BST
      May 7, 2015 5:32 PM BST