Peragues

Tags : None
  • These are rather fiddly and are part of my family's heritage from Latvia. They are also served in Russia (known as Perishki's) but with different filling. Traditionally our family only serves these at special occasions (like Christmas). They are served as an appetizer but are also nice served as an aside with soup (Borsht maybe).

Ingredients :

1 x packet dry yeast plus ingredients for making a sweet yeast (see packet instructions a they vary)

1 x egg (beaten)

2 x Onions (finely chopped)

500g Bacon (finely chopped, rinds removed)

1 teaspoon Paprika and Oregano

|satl and pepper to taste

Preparation : Filling

1. Place onion, bacon, paprika, oregano and salt/pepper in a pot on medium and sautee lightly. Cook for approximately 10 minutes stirring well or until onion/bacon is mildly cooked.

2. Let cool

Preperation : Yeast

1. Create your yeast according to the instructions on your packet. Mine generally is :

Melt 100g Butter in 1/2 cup milk and 1/4 cup water and place 1/4 cup sugar and pinch of salt in warm milk. Let milk cool once all ingredients are dissolved.

Place 3 cups of flour in  a large mixing bowl

Add 1-2 eggs into centre of bowl, add milk mixture and stir well. Slowly add 4th cup of flour.

2. Knead thoroughly and place in a covered bowl to let it rise (about 45 mins)

Making Them :

1. Preheat your oven to Medium-High

2. Grease a baking tray (or use a non-stick baking mat)

3. Break of a small amount of yeast and roll into a ball (about the size of a squash ball/golf ball).

4. Flatten out the yeast into a rough circle making it as thin as possible, particularly at the outer edges.

5. Place 2 teaspoons (roughly depending on size of perague you are making and consistency of your yeast) and place in the middle of your yeast circle.

6. Fold yeast over in half and pinch the open sides together (making sure they are well joined).

7. Place on baking sideways (not seam up) tray and bend the two corners in slightly on the flat side

8. Baske with egg

9. Cook for approximately 10 minutes (depends on your oven) or until yeast goes a light-medium golden colour.

10. Serve immediately

(this makes a large batch. If you need to keep any immediately put in freezer and reheat as required)

This post was edited by Shirley Arriey at May 10, 2015 7:40 PM BST
      May 10, 2015 4:53 PM BST
  • Does peroshkis ring a bell?  Whatever, I shall try themShirley!

May 10, 2015 6:43 PM BST
  • Yes I mentioned Peroshki's in my post...

But they are typically served with Mashed Potato in the middle (very dry!!)

May 10, 2015 6:55 PM BST
  • Up for anything, young lady.  Thanks.

May 10, 2015 7:22 PM BST
  • Just realised my spelling was miles off :)

Yes it was supposed to say Piroshki's......

It's a fairly basic recipe so you can always experiment with whatever filling you like (lightly curried lamb mince turned out nice too for a more Indian type flavour).

May 10, 2015 7:39 PM BST
  • Add cheese and onions and butter for moisture...

<p>Traci</p>
      May 10, 2015 8:04 PM BST
  • https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=piroshki&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=3tFPVdLyB-fD7gb2m4OIBA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=643

These look great, a bit like Spanish empanadas perhaps?

Please post more recipes, Shirley!

xx

May 10, 2015 10:50 PM BST
  • Ok will post more when I get a chance :)

May 10, 2015 11:04 PM BST