"The Danish Girl" by David Ebershoff

• 68 posts
    May 17, 2015 3:42 PM BST

This book represents my first ever exposure to Transgender related novels. Based around the true sotry of Einar Wegener, a Danish painter, and his wife. Supposedly made into  a film that I have no luck in locating.

The book centers around Einar's transformation into Lily which is set off by a simple request from his wife, also a painter, for Einar to pose for her so she could finish off a commissioned portrait. Its a very touching book although a little difficult to read (it is certainly not my normal fast paced action fiction). Based in  a time when Transgendered individuals were rarely heard of it is a bt heart-breaking after Lily undergoes one of the first ever SRS/GRS surgeries only to pass away shortly thereafter.

It's a much more mature and down to earth look at transexuality at a time when the psychology, concepts and conditions were only a murmur. Perhaps most remarkable at this time point is that Einar's wife doesn't leave him even if she does eventually make some rather serious decisions of her own (and draws some of her own lines in the sand). If there's a book that you must read about a real-life story then this is probably one of the key players that should be sitting in your library.

Available from Amazon in Paper back and you may also find it in some LGBT specific bookstores.