Seeking employment and your Resume/CV

• 68 posts
    May 26, 2015 3:57 PM BST

I've been an active member in advocacy in the disability sector starting out as a client reresentative for a Non-Profit Organisation that assisted with work placement/modification for disabled clients. I've also been President of a prominent Advocacy organisation and am stilla current member of the board of another National one in Australia )that deals with Deafness). These days I've had to withdraw from this involvement as I need to spend the personal time to complete my Honours Research and hopefully a PhD *In Haptics technology).

One thing I've noticed in my own sector and my involvement with the Gender Centre in Sydney Australia is that many job seekers find it difficult to look at their challenges and know  how to present them to a potential employee. There is often a lot of debate in employment conferences that cater to disability about whether to disclose or not *probably a similar issue for TG related things also). I also tend to find that people in both  groups tend to overplay their *problems* and that it becomes all-consuming during things such as interviews etc.|

So a little bit of advice from me....

Preparing your Resume/CV

People often come to the bit where they are required to describe their |Skills and generally just list stuff they've learnt at school or University, their formal qualifications etc. This is where its time to get creative and is of particular bbenefit to people like ourselves. Think over your life and what your very unique journeys have given you |some of th ekey words and phrases I like and have seen include :

- Creative Problem Solving

- Boundless working environment (ie you don't mind working with diverse groups)

- Tenacious personality

- Zest to achieve

- Not challenge adverse (You don't mind a challenge in life and your work).

- Goal focusses (not easily distracted)

And in general....

If you go into your interview beleiving that your TG or disability is going to be a problem/issue it usually becomes one. Interviewers are more interested in the fact that you can deal with it and its not going to become a major issue in your work environment.