Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Coming Out » Children's responses

Children's responses

Tags : None
  • Ok I had an interesting day yesterday.

Was my birthday and it was raining so we cancelled going outside and decided to stay in.

Our son has known I dress "in ention" only for the last 6 months and the closest he's seen me to being dressed has been in a long night shirt. So "Shirley" ended up being invited for a tea party late afternoon lunch.

Both of us were nervous......

I did say he could laugh if he wanted to. Actually that response might have made it easier but I think he just didn't know what to expect. He's fairly forward thinnking and he's seen trailers for the Danish Girl and watched some of the recent Mardi Gras parade here in Sydney.

He kind of freaked on me though and said he wouldn't look at me until I changed.

I have a feeling that the issue at hand here was that he was primarily expecting that I would just be "Dad in a dress" but I think he saw a new person instead. Have not really had a chance to talk to him about it yet.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Luv

Shirls

March 21, 2016 12:16 AM GMT
  • hi, they are funny ceratures, i have girly days and dress ups with my daughter of 9 yo she calls me her girly man. Last time we did the make up etc she stood back and quickly said "DAD!, you look like aunty Wendy" being my sister. She then said quickly take your hair off then she was ok again. Since last tmie i have had many facial hair removals so they must be working hey!

Love Naomi

March 21, 2016 3:37 AM GMT
  • It is always tricky and unpredictable with children and I went through that phase myself. Only one of my daughters was ever upset by it and this had nothing to do with my appearance but more about the fact that she thought she was losing her Dad. She was 17 at the time and living independantly. However, once she realised that she wasn't, she got over it pretty quickly, (it took a few months). She is completely at ease with it now and has no issue with me at all. We chatted about it after she had gotten over it and she said, (withough prompting), 'you hav to do what makes you happy, it doesn't bother me anymore'. Once she felt that nothing was really changing, other than the packaging, she was fine. Since that time, she has seen me day to day, dressed for work and in the pool and you would never know that there was ever an issue. 

Children need to feel loved and to know you are there for them, in my experience, if it is handled well, they will deal with everything else in time. 

Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      March 21, 2016 1:44 PM GMT
  • Update, my daughter is fine she now says when we go shoping that i cant buy her anything uness i buy for myself too. She said she wants me to be happy and said she knows that i am happiest when dressed up i am still her dad.

They ar beautiful creatures hey!

April 20, 2016 8:07 AM BST
  • HI its nearly 12 month since i was last here and not much has changed except my wife going through denial and anger stages again so i stay in male mode all the time unfortunately my only time is with my daughter, having to go backwards and  take time is always hard but i hope that a positive outcome is to be had. well my daughter and i went on holidays for a week and we had one girly day and she did my makeup and said i look terrible, saw my facial response to the comment so she redid it and said 'now you re pretty!'

It was clasic and she was really concerned that she offended me, she then without any coxing said i need to talk like a woman so we spent some time on raising my voice once we got it right she said now we are ready to go out. i still have issue with that as i am still having electrolysis and have the welts so no outing this time but net time we will be there.\

Once again they do surprise you when you least expect it.

January 20, 2017 2:35 PM GMT