Purses

• 15 posts
    June 26, 2016 6:44 PM BST

As I get closer to going out in public, one thing scares me. THE PURSE. As a guy, I put what I need (money, ID, keys, etc.) in my pockets. Girls put these things and more in their purses. That is scary, having everything you need to function in a bag you carry. Now I know why women are afraid of purse snatchers.

Have any of you had a phobia about purses, and how did you get over it?

• June 26, 2016 7:40 PM BST

Kathi, I know only to well, having had my bag snatched, car keys, house keys, purse, with all my debit and credit cards, driving licence £40 in cash. a couple of documents/letters with my address on them. mobile phone. A few items of make up.

Do I still carry a bag? yes, its something you have to come to terms with, now I just carry the card I will be using a small amount of cash and no, personal details, a label stuck in my bag with my mobile number on it, so the police can contact me if my bag goes missing again.

Use a shoulder bag and make sure its crossed over you body not just hung over one shoulder.

• June 27, 2016 5:37 PM BST
    Cristine, you took the words right out of my mouth. I wear a purse that crosses over my body 99% of the time.

Kathi, as the resident GG, I must say, you will get used to it. It will become second nature to carry a purse. I'm a very clumsy and forgetful person, that's why I carry a shoulder cross body purse, so I never put it down and forget it. Therefore I carry it on me while grocery shopping, etc. I see women who put their purse in the grocery cart and are looking around, walking away from their cart--someone could snatch their purse right out of there! Tips: 1. hang your purse in the same place in your house at all times, 2. get a good cross body purse, 3. if you carry a handbag, never let it out of your sight, 4. don't forget it on the roof of your car, like my mom did when I was little (my dad had to run back on the freeway to fetch it) 5. you don't have to carry a purse everywhere, I've seen the rare occasion of women not carrying one, especially for quick/small errands. Finally 6. chase down that purse snatcher, grab your purse, scream at him and give him a few whacks with your purse! I've never had my purse snatched in the 3 decades I've been carrying one (knock on wood!) but if it were snatched, that's what I'd do!

Here's me and my cross body purse at the wax museum...my mom lent me her nice Burberry purse for my vacation, otherwise, I use a very generic, utilitarian one! Sorry, the Celine Dion one came in sideways, it's this website, not me!
    This post was edited by Former Member at June 27, 2016 9:58 PM BST
    • 2017 posts
    July 23, 2016 5:52 PM BST

As the others have said, use an appropriate purse (handbag for us Europeans!) for where you are. A cross body bag is great for crowds and I have a couple that both zip and then buckle over which is pretty secure. I can always keep my hand on it too. Plus, make sure you have the zip at the front so it can't be tampered with behind you. 

My everyday bags are handbags so I will either carry them in my hand or over my shoulder and again, either my hand or arm is always in contact with it to prevent someone trying to unzip it. 

Occasionally, though, a clutch bag is ally you need although this will be for a more formal event and while they are generally without straps, (some have a small strap or chain strap hidden inside), you would normally only be using one at a particular event. They aren't for everyday use. 

Backpack style bags are a target for thieves and pickpockets so I don't often use one of those, although I have one which buckles, zips and has a alarm if the zip is tampered with!! 

A purse is great though as you will find out, since you have all you need there and no bulky uncomfortable items in your pockets. You will get used to it and will wonder how you ever managed without one.