Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » General Forum » Do transgender women feel masculine or male at times?

Do transgender women feel masculine or male at times?

Tags : None
  • Transgender Q & A from Quora.com (I'm putting this in the forum as opposed to posting the link in the home page because sometimes you need to sign into your Google account and not everyone has a Google account.)

Do transgender women feel masculine or male at times?

Can you answer this question?
    Answer
    2 ANSWERS

Katie Anne Holton, Trans and loving it since 2009.
    1.5k Views · Most Viewed Writer in LGBTQI with 720+ answers
    This is one of those transgender questions that is easy to answer when you remove transgender from the question.

"Do women feel masculine or male at times?"
    Sure. A woman hanging out with the guys, farting and scratching her crotch might feel more masculine in that moment.

However, feeling masculine is not the same thing as feeling male. Male is a gender identity. Masculine is a way of describing behaviors and feelings that are typically associated with men.
    Men feel male. Women don't.

Written Jan 29 · View Upvotes
    Upvote31
    Comment

Anonymous
    Transgender women used to live as a male.  Most transgender women were forced to grow up male.  They learned how to be male.  They were male in some way.  They were born anatomically male.  Testosterone and such.  Masculinized their body and effected their female brains/body.
    So I it makes sense that at times they will feel or experience male feelings.  It is a part of them.  They lived it for maybe decades.  You cannot deny it.  Although you are a woman you have been effected by the above stated situations and conditions.

I have days where I feel masculine.  I notice the male past/ behaviors wanting to be present.  In stead of fighting it, I acknowledge it.  I say oh I feel like the old self.  I am aware and adjust.  Then I move on being mindful of myself.

I know of trans a women who loves to go out and chop wood as a way to deal with the masculine male feelings.  They wear combat boots and sling an axe.

I know a cis gender woman who has a flat top and is large.  She looks like she can bend me in half.  She acts very macho and I feel safe around her.  So she is more butch than me.  I guess the masculine and male stuff is not just what trans women had in their life at one time.  It is some thing cis women have too.

Updated Feb 15 ·

From https://www.quora.com/Transgender-Do-transgender-women-feel-masculine-or-male-at-times
      August 1, 2016 10:20 PM BST
  • 1 146

Hi Lisa,

For a late in life Transitioner like myself,there will inevitably be something of the past that remains with you.As the anonymous replier says this is something that cannot be denied.-denial is a major feature of a Transgendererd persons existence. Personally there was a point in time when I could only go forward with my life by not denying that I am a Transexual.Its undeniable that as a M2F Transexual there I will have been  both Psychological and Physiological imprinted ,whether its testosterone, or the male heirachy taunts "go rattle his cage" or society expectations  men work and do wars , women have babies..I found that the mindfull approach is useful for dealing with this situation. Yeah I can chop wood , etc  but  its just to get fuel for the burner not as a male expression.Sometimes I think there is a bit of "Theatrical excess movement " in the Male Mode.

So to the Question "Do transgender women feel masculine or male at times?"

Answer: I feel the effect of past memories,and and cannot deny some of my physical features as more male, but nearly all of the time I am looking forward as Donna and feeling that way.Its okay to have a sense of being able to look back , but knowing you can control your own life to go forward in the direction you feel is right.

<p>Donna_V</p>
      August 2, 2016 9:18 AM BST
  • Thanks for sharing, Donna.

I tend to believe there is a transgender scale/spectrum of how each individual feels. That person may need to chop wood and wear combat boots to deal with some male/masculine remnant feelings but another person like yourself doesn't need to and loves just looking forward, as you should, Donna! I love what you said, you can chop wood but it's just for the burner!

I don't know if transgender women sometimes feel inadequate, but it's safe to say from my experience as a cis woman, I've not felt woman enough. I'm probably not alone ("hashtag ciswomen problems" if we were on Twitter!) I've never felt male--just like the first answer, transgender women ALSO never truly feel male in the fullest sense (only cis men truly feel male to the fullest extent)...but I've not felt feminine enough, especially when our society is so steeped in gender stereotypes.

Could there be such a scale/spectrum that runs from cisgender to transgender? Where some people fit into some gray area? Do gender fluid and gender queer folks fit into this scale? I've never felt male, but what if I was one step away from being born a trans man? It's all about hormones in the mother's womb (among other mysterious factors), and it seems like I was born with and developed throughout life more testosterone than other cis women. I don't desire to be a mother and get pregnant, for instance. Never! I don't have a high pitched voice. I develop muscles--albeit feminine looking muscles--quite easily.

I can pretend to be more feminine: smile more, open my eyes more and raise my eyebrows, move and bend my wrists more, giggle, walk more girly, make a high pitched voice...but it is just not me. It's SO not me. When I see a group of guys, I can easily approach them and start shooting the breeze, talk about the latest superhero movie, crack dirty jokes. When I see a group of girls, suddenly I feel inadequate, deathly shy, and I'm studying how they talk and laugh and carry on. They're talking about designer shoes and makeup--I could care less! So I'm stuck somewhere in the middle: I don't feel like a man, but I'm not outwardly that feminine either. I think that's why I was super attracted to my husband. He's not a macho man, he's an artist, he's sensitive, he can definitely express his feminine side (vents to me about his work, cries during sad movies) even though he's cis. I think we both have androgynous personalities (I know I have one from taking two separate online BSRI surveys). I'm highly masculine (risk taker, go-getter, etc) and feminine (more compassionate and empathetic) when it comes to personality.

The funny thing is, you can be a cisgender or transgender woman, yet have a masculine side to your personality...it still doesn't mean you're a man! I think the moral of the story here is that everyone in the world is different and special, and their own unique blend of who they are. The challenge is to discover yourself and do what feels right to you, develop a sense of confidence*, and live your true authentic self no matter what society says and no matter what the social stereotypes are.

*still a work in progress for me when it comes to being around a bunch of chicks. Haha!
      August 2, 2016 9:00 PM BST
  • 1 146

Hi Lisa,

Guess we we are all works in Progress ;-),-I often think its a shame that some people and parts of society dont get this and would prefer to stop progressing and remain in the past.For me being Transgendered as a Transexual is declaring that I dont want to progress along a path determined by other peoples expectations of me  as male.The biggest thing in a transgendered person is getting that space and time to develop and express yourself  to counteract what for me was the false imposition of birth Gender.Must get on today I got of work to do , garden harvest of plums,gooseberries and beans to process ,House work and making a water feature  sculpture [Art Commision]. 

<p>Donna_V</p>
      August 3, 2016 8:21 AM BST
  • As far as the gray area goes, I know sometimes I've questioned myself being bigender. I'm either one extreme or the other in that case. I guess I would put it as, I mentioned how there was one guy I was willing to be a girl for. Well, that girl side of me was pretty much house-wife material. (Ugh....) Whereas my male side is all masculine and would want his girl to be feminine. I often questioned if me being bigender was actually a split personality, but it wasn't. (At least, I wasn't diagnosed as such).

I agree with Donna that we're all works in progress. I keep working towards being "man enough" but I'm not sure when or if I'll actually get there.

The only case I can think of as far as me wanting to be "woman enough" is with sibling rivalry and breast size way back before I came out as trans. Always wanting to look absolutely perfect like the people I saw online. Of course, coming out as a transman, I realized that bigger breasts are the last thing I want lol.

August 3, 2016 11:29 AM BST
  • Beautifully and succinctly stated, Donna. It is a shame that some people go through life without looking inward, they have blinders on...or they live in denial, or they don't deal with their insecurities and therefore put others down or bully others. Change of subject ---> Oooh, I want what's in your garden!

Kris, you are still so young in the scheme of things, I like what Donna said about getting that space and time to develop and express yourself to counteract that false imposition of birth gender. We are definitely all works in progress no matter what gender we are. Because you FEEL you are a man, THAT should be enough to make you feel "man enough." Whoa! That's my philosophical musing for today! Or did I sound more like Yoda?! Basically, fulfilling stereotypes don't make the man or woman. You are enough because you are a man. I should be enough because I am a woman. In the end we're all human, and that is enough. Okay, now my head's hurting ;)
      August 5, 2016 9:14 PM BST