Now I am worried

Tags : None
  •  

Theresa May has said she plans to introduce a “Great Repeal Bill” that will overturn the act that took the UK into the European Union.

The Prime Minister will tell the Conservative Party Conference that she will enshrine all European Union regulations that apply to Britain in domestic law when the country leaves the bloc.

She will tell Tories in Birmingham that a “Great Repeal Bill” will scrap the 1972 European Communities Act, which gives direct effect to all EU law, and at the same time convert Brussels regulations into domestic law.

This will give Parliament the power to unpick the laws it wants to keep, remove or amend at a later date, in a move that could be welcomed by MPs keen to have a say over the terms of Brexit.

The move is also designed to give certainty to businesses and protection for workers’ rights that are part of EU law, the Press Association reports.

May told The Sunday Times: “This marks the first stage in the UK becoming a sovereign and independent country once again.

“It will return power and authority to the elected institutions of our country. It means that the authority of EU law in Britain will end.”

Brexit Secretary David Davis will tell the conference: “To those who are trying to frighten British workers, saying ‘when we leave, employment rights will be eroded’, I say firmly and unequivocally, ‘no they won’t’.”

The Bill is expected to be brought forward in the next parliamentary session (2017-18) and will not pre-empt the two-year process of leaving the EU, which begins when the Government triggers Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty.

Davis will say: “It’s very simple. At the moment we leave, Britain must be back in control. And that means EU law must cease to apply.

“To ensure continuity, we will take a simple approach. EU law will be transposed into domestic law, wherever practical, on exit day.

“It will be for elected politicians here to make the changes to reflect the outcome of our negotiation and our exit.

“That is what people voted for: power and authority residing once again with the sovereign institutions of our own country.”

The repeal Bill will end the primacy of EU law, meaning rulings by the European Court of Justice will stop applying to the UK once the legislation takes effect.

It will include powers to make changes to the laws using secondary legislation as negotiations over the UK’s future relationship proceed, although more wide-ranging amendments or new laws may come forward in separate Bills.

It sounds like the rules on imigration and free passage are going to remain, they are rules, what concerns me will the Human rights act be altered which is an edict from Strasbourg, not Brussels and how it will be tailored to perhaps discriminate and or affect the rights of TG people, there obviously will be no right of appeal to the EU courts of any infringements of UK trans citizens after Brexit has been invoked.

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
    This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at October 2, 2016 1:15 PM BST
      October 2, 2016 1:10 PM BST
  • This sound a bit weird.  The majority of us (excluding myself and Scotland and Northern Ireland) have voted to remain.  Saying that you will be taking the rules that made people want to leave the EU and making them into national law.

And this from a woman who was voted to become the Prime Minister by your political party and not by the British voters even though they voted out because the EU had unelected leaders that aren't the EMP (European Member of Parliament) who were voted by the public is a bit unreal.  This means that we have to have an unelcted (by the public) PM for about 4  or 5 more years until a general election comes up.  I think the Americans have the right idea, flee to Canada.  Now where's my passport.......
      October 3, 2016 8:36 AM BST
  • Thankyou Suzy, not my political party, I have no allegiance to either of the main parties, the Labour party's impossible dream and the conservative party of expediency and profit for private companies.   When they sell, national assets to foreign countries,  especially the French, who upon Brexit being finalised will penalise us to the extreme.

My main concern will be the availability of treatment for trans people, under the EHRC it is illegal to blanket ban treatment, due to costs involved, with the selling off of the more lucrative aspects of medical care,   Will there be anything left to cover the costs involved regarding trans people.   A little ammendment to the law, ''where and when available due to cost'' will be all it takes, prioritising other ''more urgent procedures'' typically the general public will be more than happy that money will appear to be spent on more pressing and urgent aspects of health care.   I still maintain that the Brexit vote was won by a dissalusioned populance over the greed and avarice of Cameron and his cronies, his pomposity and his stupid belief that the phlebs would'nt win.

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      October 3, 2016 1:53 PM BST
  • The Brexit vote was won because we were told quite outreagous bullshite by both sides and the few things we were told like immigration and unelected leaders were the only couple reasons we voted out.  It's just a pity that we don't live in a p;erfect world.
      October 4, 2016 10:33 AM BST
  • Just look at the brexit 'negotiating' team.........a minister who buggers off after about 5 minutes etc.

I take abstract photos which generally are 'No title.' However, one now rejoices in the somewhat windy title:

"HMG searching for a coherent, intelligent and sustainable negotiating concept for brexit...."

It's a largely black pic with a simple flash of light down at the bottom.

(I tried uploading but there was a 'technical problem....)

Lynn

"It ain't what you do,it's the way that you do it............and that's what gets results!"
      October 23, 2017 3:01 PM BST