Writing, again

Tags : None
  • I used to write ficiton, more than a decade ago. I did enjoy it but got out of because I lost my creativity, or so I felt. It was more than just writer's block. I just couldn't seem to come up with fun and interesting stories any longer. Everything just seemed so bland. After a time I did start writing again, non-fiction though, on computer programming. That went well for several years but then life became too busy to keep up with it and it fell by the road side.

I started the non-fiction again back last summer but with my wife's condition and her need constant care I had to put that on hold. One thing that my wife always wanted to see me do is get back into fiction, she really loved my work. I don't know what has caused it but my creative juices have started to work again. So, in her memory, I've started on a new novel! It is a high fantasy style novel similar to Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, those styles of books with world in danger, epic battles, etc. It's only been a few weeks and I'm not far in but the words are actually coming out and I really like that they flow again. Right now the biggest issue I face is the internet distracts me too much. :D

January 13, 2017 3:05 PM GMT
  • Hey Cynthia - I can relate to many of your writing thoughts - it has always been a sideline hobby of mine. Fiction when I was younger and still only dabble in it for my personal thoughts, but I have turned strongly to non-fiction and even have a few books in at Amazon ( unfortunately due to circumstances they have to 'man up' and be authored as my birth name and hence gender ). When I first went to print a hard copy of my first book, I put on my favorite outfit - I was as happy and proud as I ever could be - seretly I even have ideas for a great photo shoot for the books. Interestingly I too have found some creative juices once again in the area of fiction and have some ideas moving through my mind space along with other non-fiction ones. It is very true that it sort of comes in waves - once focused I can be at projects for quite a spell. All the best in your stories and writing - enjoy the adventure. : )
      January 13, 2017 7:11 PM GMT
  • I had 4 novels for young adults published under my birth name and gender. I also did some freelance articles for a while. The pay ended up sucking for the amount of time I had to put into it.

Thanks for the best wishes. I really appreciate it 

January 14, 2017 5:28 AM GMT
  • Hi, I would just like to offer some information about Amazon Kindle publishing where I perceive a need in the previous posts, but forgive me if it's already understood. See https://kdp.amazon.com/help/topic/A1QYLI5UKGX49A

http://publishingwithkindle.com/working-with-amazon-author-pen-names/

http://www.warriorforum.com/main-internet-marketing-discussion-forum/618209-how-add-multiple-pen-names-your-amazon-kindle-account.html

On Amazon, it isn't necessary to use your birth name as the author of a book. It is true that you must register your legal name with Amazon for legal purposes, such as getting paid and paying taxes, but Amazon allows pen names in their Kindle (KDP) page as the author of a book and it all gets linked together. Amazon also has an optional feature called Author Central where the pen name can be described, etc,; however, Author Central tends to get rather confusing, especially the first time you use it, as well as all further attempts. I have bungled my way through Amazon KDP and Author Central with two different pen names for two different genres, so it does work after a lot of hair pulling and unladylike cursing.

The monetary income does suck. As they say, don't quit your day job unless you're retired. Maybe a massive advertising campaign would help; I don't know. In lieu of a large remuneration, writing has other benefits: (1) enjoyable; (2) cathartic; (3) the thrill of someone reading your book; (4) the bigger thrill of an unsolicited positive review. 

April 21, 2017 3:38 AM BST
  • I have done my masters in English Literature recently and now taking training from providers of Custom Assignment Help UK. I want to become an academic writer. 

November 15, 2017 11:41 AM GMT