Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » General Forum » Why do people hate the T word?

Why do people hate the T word?

Tags : None
  • This really isn't about understanding men, or dating, or anything other than day to day living. I'm just trying to understand why, so many people, when they hear the word "trans" are so fearful and hateful. I know there really isn't an answer to the question but of late I'm starting to have more and more negative reactions when I say trans. Even to people in the LGBT spectrum. I just don't get it.

No realy need to answer. I just needed to get that off my chest so my boobs would start growing again. :)

May 15, 2017 10:29 PM BST
  • Don't worry about it, must be hundreds of words  beginging with trans, transport, transiant, transpose, transit.   lots of people don't like the word tranny in our community,   does'nt bother me, I think among ourselves it's an all encompassing word, often used by outsiders in a degotary way.

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      May 17, 2017 8:53 PM BST
  • Word doesn't bother me much. I just hate how so many people bail when they here me type/say, I'm transgender. It goes from, "Oh you're so interesting." to "Uhm, I didn't know" and never hear from that person that claimed they loved you 15 minutes earlier in the conversation!
      May 18, 2017 12:06 AM BST
  • I think it about categories.  If you were lesbian or gay, they could put you into a certain category and I think that people are more comfortable with those aspects of the LGBT spectrum.  They probably even get Bi, especially since Catpain Jack on Dr Who.  But  Trans?  There is not a lot of information out there about it in general media.  You still get Trump and his minions doing the whole "Men only wear dresses so that they can sneak into womens bathrooms" junk.  For many men the idea of wanting to not be a man is beyond them, since women are seen as less than what they are now.  

So yeah.  Thats my idea on the subject, for what its worth.

Alice

May 19, 2017 9:04 PM BST
  • ...and don't forget that people fear that which they do not understand.  When Caitlyn Jenner becomes our community spokesperson and Time magazine's "Woman of the Year" and 99.9% of the world population are still struggling with even beginning to grasp our world, their instinct is to reject or strike out against both Jenner and anybody like her, meaning us!  "Straight" guys will not give an inch in attempting to understand out of fear that possibly they might have had less than binary gender thoughts in their lives and to sympathize with us might only expose them.  It quickly becomes a mob mentality of negativity while most take the "safe side" of public opinion which only grows in numbers as people see those around them speak out against our community.  Sorta like the blind leading the blind here...

To help swing the pendulum, it's going to take some really prominent, brave souls who identify within the binary to speak in favor of our efforts.  Also it will take some very respected people in public opinion to come out as trans without it becoming a literal freak show played out in tabloids and television like Jenner did.  That, as much as anything, really strengthened the negativity of the opposition.  While I have nothing against Jenner transitioning, the manner she did and the acclaim and attention she got set us back with the masses.  Heck, all she did was toss money at her body without truly understanding the world of women.  She probably is a cross dresser who just acted rashly despite what she says today.  I do not see any signs of womanhood in her the way she thinks and handles herself. So until the "freak element" gets less pubicity and is replaced by normal, productive, prominent trans folks, most people will continue to push back against ourselves.

It sucks, but that's reality...

Traci xoxo

<p>Traci</p>
      May 20, 2017 2:33 AM BST
  • Brilliant and thoughtful piece Traci.     Then there are the semi-friends, I have quite a few, that will be complimentary, engage in coversation, but when they are with friends in the pub, ignore me completely, next time they engage me, it's always my friends don't understand, erm you don't want to be seen fraternising/associating with a weirdo? which then goes on to I don't think your a weirdo, it's just my friends don't understand, erm ar'nt a couple of your friends gay? Ah yes but that is different.   Ignorance is bliss.

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      May 20, 2017 1:38 PM BST
  • Crissie...yes, that is the reality of hanging around the "regular" crowd.  "Geez, you're talking with a trans girl?  You must be weird" mentality!  I find more and more that my true circle of friends lies in the world of music and art.  There, I am not judged by what I was or am, but rather can I play music well or mingle and socialize "properly" in those circles.  It helps to be able to blend in regarding appearance, but I am constantly aware of the larger community I represent and am careful not to do things that might disgrace us.  Long gone are the days of trying to pole dance at drag shows!  LOL

Back to your point, I'm certain that some people look down upon me when my back is turned.  I've learned to hold my head high, maintain a positive and compassionate stance, and act like I belong on this planet as much as anyone else.  I tend to migrate around other fun and positive people and this helps tons!  I'll admit to wishing at times I had superpowers of hearing so I could hear what they might say when I leave their space though...(smile)

While it might seem hard to believe, things have ogtten a lot better for us thatn it was say in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.  Lots of "interesting" stories from those days to tell...another time maybe!

Traci xoxo

<p>Traci</p>
      May 20, 2017 2:28 PM BST