Help I am a little tall

• 1 posts
    August 30, 2007 9:34 PM BST
    Hi Lexie,

I am over 6 feet tall and have been going out for about 5 yrs.

I never wear flats; I wouldn't be seen dead without my heels! I think the secret is to wear sensible day or night shoes and dress appropriately for the occasion.

I am now confident enough to wander around shopping malls in daylight and even try clothes on before I buy. Sure, I get read often and I was terrified when I first went out. BUT, as you gain confidence it is a great experience and I usually get treated just as a woman because that is how I behave.

Don't be afraid. Enjoy yourself. Life is too short to worryb about what other people might think.

Lots of Love,

Carol
    • 4 posts
    July 25, 2006 5:53 AM BST
    Hey girls I have a quick question about passing. I am going to be going out and the problem I have is that i am 6"4 and I think that will draw too much attention to me just because I am tall for a man and WAY tall for a woman. So any advice I would welcome.

Hugs Lexie
    • 4 posts
    July 27, 2006 5:32 AM BST
    WOW THANKS ALOT Wendy

I think I will tack that advice and run with it and get over my fear of being read and stop careing what other ppl think and just be my self

BIG hug

Lexie
  • August 3, 2006 7:47 AM BST
    I´m 186 tall...count it in inches if you like. I pass 99%, but with a transsexual past it is easier, because years of hormones just MAKE you a woman. And I agree, there are many tall girls around, especially in my country.
    You get looks, but not because you are read...only because you are tall.

Laura
    • 871 posts
    August 31, 2007 12:46 PM BST
    i believe that if i wear what i feel comfortable in I will be more natural and hence have a better chance of passing. i am a little tall too and always wear heals. good luck lexie xx
    • 1195 posts
    August 31, 2007 5:05 PM BST
    I'm not tall by any means, but I have always admired tall women.
    Some years ago (30+) I was in Las Vegas, gambling naturally. I guess it must have been around 1 AM - I was going up to my hotel room and in going to the elevators I passed the performers going home. My, they tall and beautiful. A picture that remains in my memory.........inspiring
    • 166 posts
    September 2, 2007 1:57 AM BST
    Thanks Wendy ... Girls as tall as I am ...need all the help they can get !!? xx"K"

and ducking ceiling fans when weareing heels
    • 259 posts
    September 2, 2007 3:43 AM BST
    Khriss, I love tall. Tall is beautiful! My brother is 6'3", so I'm used to being around tall people. Like your pic!
    • 40 posts
    September 16, 2007 8:04 PM BST
    Hi
    I am also 6 feet tall but I dont attract attention when I go out, even when I go out shopping in daylight. What is important is that you dress and make up appropraitely for the occaision. Dont over do it. If like me you are also folicularly challenged, make sure that your wig is natural looking and the style isnt OTT. Cheap "tranny wigs" can be great fun at TG events but there a dead givaway in the high street. I go for the mono type that can be combed in any direction and shows my own scalp at the parting.

Nevertheless I dont believe that I would ever pass close scrutiny, so I do what I can to avoid it.
    • 1 posts
    October 3, 2007 9:36 AM BST
    you are very pretty have a great day
    • 448 posts
    October 3, 2007 8:48 PM BST
    I'm only 5'6, slim with very small hands and feet. So I suppose I'm lucky, have the physical attributes for passing. My friend is even smaller. Even so, we get noticed. We have been travelling around London a lot recently and we have had to endure the odd remark, the occassional snigger, but no trouble. Because we don't care, we're just two girls going out and having a good time. People can see we don't care so why should they. Height has little to with it. Be brazen, be yourself and don't try to hide. People pick up on fear and uncertainty. It's all about attitude, if you are confident with who you are others will let you be. You'll simply be treated as the tall attractive woman I'm sure you are. I'm going now though, I think I'm intimidated by all these very tall women.
  • December 2, 2007 3:41 PM GMT
    Hi !

TV french is speaking

I'm 5'6, and I'm very thin with a bit of woman hips (thanks god, it's great )
    I love wearing heels, but I have a little problem... my tall is perfect without heels, but with heels, how tall do you think a woman should be ? 5'7 ? 5'8 ?
    I'd like to find shoes with perfetc heels to be more "natural"... I know that the tall is not the most important, and that we have only to feel well with our tall, but I'd like to know what you thnik about it.

Thanks girls !
  • December 2, 2007 3:43 PM GMT
    Hi !

TV french is speaking

I'm 5'6, and I'm very thin with a bit of woman hips (thanks god, it's great )
    I love wearing heels, but I have a little problem... my tall is perfect without heels, but with heels, how tall do you think a woman should be ? 5'7 ? 5'8 ?
    I'd like to find shoes with perfetc heels to be more "natural"... I know that the tall is not the most important, and that we have only to feel well with our tall, but I'd like to know what you thnik about it.

Thanks girls !
    • 448 posts
    December 2, 2007 5:04 PM GMT
    Hi Jessica

I'm quite lucky I guess, being only 5'6 myself and small of stature, I have many of the attributes considered necessary to pass as female. I have small hand's and feet and fit very easily into a size 12 and size 10 for a night out. It certainly makes shopping easy. That's not to say I'm not a little jealous of taller girls. There is no perfect height. I imagine most men wouldn't choose to be 5'2 just as most women wouldn't want to be 6'2. I think if there is a problem it has more to do with build. If you are of stocky build, or naturally quite muscular, then that may be a problem. But really it is about poise, how you carry yourself, and giving free expression to your femininity. If you are entirely comfortable with yourself then other's will feel comfortable around you. In answer to your question though, I would say about 5'9, but then I would wouldn't I. I'm not sure I know what the perfect heel is, but if you find it, please let me know, hon x
  • September 27, 2009 8:15 AM BST
    Thanks a lot ladies.
    Great posts and Wendy thanks for the links

Much encouraged

Stephenie
  • October 21, 2009 12:43 AM BST
    I am lucky i guess as i am 5ft9 and so can just about get away with either. But as a rule I absolutely agree with Samantha, if you want to pass in a day 2 day situation it's prob best to wear flat shoes (can get nice ballet shoe pumps) or a very small kitten heel. Keep the stilettos for a TG/CD venue where you can totally pull it off! I always wear flats, or ugg boots in day 2 day if i want to pass and i keep my heels for the evening when it's is darker or for CD events.
    But hey at the end of the day, you should be you! Get out there and strutt it!

xxx
    • 1912 posts
    October 21, 2009 1:38 AM BST
    I just got back in the door from going out to dinner and stopping by the grocery store while wearing my 3" heel boots. I regularly wear heels when appropriate never giving my height a thought. I'm tall so what, not like I can change it. It is amazing how many taller women you notice when you are looking for them. One time I got stopped by a nice young black couple and the gal asked if I had played basketball for some college. The point is I looked comfortable and confident with my height and that took nothing away from me looking like a woman. Maybe more than the height of the heel, the style is more likely the thing to be concerned about. Wearing glittery 4" high spiked heels would draw attention whether worn by a short woman or tall tranny.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 18 posts
    October 21, 2009 1:01 PM BST
    Hi I am 6ft 4" tall and I have been told by my wife I am not allowed to wear heals as she is only 4ft 11" , as for getting strange looks or being read we have both always gotten strange looks because of the height difference. Just be yourself if anybody looks at you funny they are just jealous that is what I tell my self anyway.
  • October 21, 2009 6:11 PM BST
    Wow Suzie, that IS a big difference. 6'4 and 4'11...

I'm 5'10.. and that's quite tall in Malaysia... most other girls are about 5'4. Not that it gets me read (i wouldn't know), but it does make me stand out in the crowd, which I don't really like.
    • 1195 posts
    October 22, 2009 6:02 PM BST
    Height is in the eye of the beholder-
    I remember heading for the elevators(early one morning) in MGM's hotel in Las Vegas - the "show girls" were passing by on their way home (I assume) - they were not only gorgeous but very tall -that was one time- another-
    I was standing tin the parking lot at LaGuardia Airport in NYC when the LA Lakers (a basketball team) walked by - like I was standing in a grove of walking trees - wow
    I've always considered myself kind of short 5'7" - height never bothered my since I didn't have any I always admired it.
    No big deal!

PS Just think of all the tops of heads you can look at.
    PPS I learned early to stand back when talking to a friend - he was 7'4"

hugs
    Gracie
    • 1 posts
    October 27, 2009 10:46 PM GMT
    Lexie

I'm 6'5" so a similar height to you. I would not recommend flats because heels do help you walk in a more feminine way and will make your legs look longer. Passing is all about misdirection away from things that don't look right to things that do, so make sure that you have some shape with breasts compatible with your size and a flared skirt. The difference between 6'4" and 6'8" is nothing - both are extremely tall for a girl so heels won't make a difference. Be confident, dress to look good - not to blend in, you are not going to blend in just by dressing blandly, and try not to stand in doorways or near short people!

Confidence is everything, be yourself and forget about your height.

Suzie x
  • October 27, 2009 11:53 PM GMT
    When I met my partner Carrie, who is 6"1 or 6"2 she stood out like a sore thumb. Now she is read less than I am at 5"6 .....I have a very point blank way of talking that can get me read at times. The reason for Carrie's improved pass rate? When I met her it was obvious what the problem was; her posture and walk. She stooped to hide her height and shuffled when she walked, as though trying to hide her height and almost apologetically make for the darkened corner. I told her to straighten up a bit and walk proud and that she like many models is tall and beautiful ! I know that being quite little I have no idea how it feels to be a tall girl but I do know some of the most beautiful women on earth are tall. Also girls are getting taller these days in the west ....I often find myself way shorter than many young women, much more so than 20 years ago. So just think, some of those second looks you get might actually be someone admiring you.
  • October 28, 2009 12:06 PM GMT

Well girls just walk proud, Janes 6 foot 6 inch in heels and wig lol. Have size 9 shoe so I always wear heels not flats as they can make your feet look a bit big. Mind you have only been to tranny friendly spots, it comes in handy when your at the bar lol. apart from in naps the ceilings low. Tall girls i find really sexy, and small ones too lol. strut your stuff and wiggle that bum. janey. x
    • 2573 posts
    July 26, 2006 3:41 AM BST
    My friend has the same problem. 6'4" Yes, you are going to get noticed. You are likely to get read. This leaves you with five options:
    1. Stay home. Not much fun.

2. Go out somewhere remote. A bit more fun and pretty neat if you are an outdoors person.

3. Go to TG-friendly places where it won't matter a whole lot if you get read. You can have quite a bit of fun. Not a bad solution if you just want a night out. Some people find tall girls very attractive. Since the average T-girl is pretty tall compared to the average gg....you will not stand out quite so much in such a venue.

4. Go out anywhere dressed in clothes purchased from stores/websites for tall girls. You will certainly get noticed and will likely get read (most of us do). Both your appearance and your deportment will determine how much/how long you pass and, to some extent, how you are accepted.
    http://www.tallwomen.org/[...]es/usa/

5. Take the Ru Paul approach. Strut it, Baby! Make sure you are noticed but be Diva Glamourous. Ru Paul is 6'4" and who would not like to look that good? RuPaul is the first T girl to have her own Barbie-style doll.
    http://www.rupaul.com/gallery.html

Remember, you are in good company:
    http://www.tallwomen.org/famous/
    http://www.tallwomen.org/models/
    Use the tricks that tall girls use when they dress: For example, those cropped pants, that are the current fashion, make you look shorter. Dark colors make you appear smaller than light colors. I have found sites that have these hints, but can't find one just now. Try Googling around.
    • 1652 posts
    August 30, 2007 9:47 PM BST
    I’m a mere 5 foot ten and a bit, but that’s tall enough for me thank you very much. I avoid heels, as they don’t make me feel any more feminine, just, um, taller.
    I have a post-op friend, obviously full-time, who is 6’ 4” in bare feet (she says she’s “5 foot 16”), she usually wears 2 or 3 inch heels, which make her taller than, well, everyone really, but if she wants to wear heels who am I to criticise?
    I think if you’re going to go out, however you look, whatever size and shape you are, it is indeed best to not really care about being read. Just be yourself, and enjoy it.
    xx
    • 530 posts
    October 21, 2009 7:06 PM BST
    Can I sacrifice a couple of inches of wide for a couple more tall?
    I am just on the tall side for females at 169cm (just under 5'7"), but feel like I'm nearly that across!
    • 2017 posts
    October 22, 2009 11:54 AM BST
    I don't see being tall as being too bad an issue, easy for me to say I guess at 5' 8" but I have friends, both TS and GG, who are over 6' and they don't draw unwanted attention or stand out from the crowd. It comes down to how they present themselves. In town on a saturday you wouldn't look twice, but when they want to use their height to their advantage for an evening.......wow!
    They carry it off beautifully.

Nikki