shaving

Tags : None
  • Hi im new here and Im closeted cd and wanting to go out in girl mode. I've shaved part of my legs with hair removal cream and i used moisturizer lotion were i shaved and i still got red bumps everywear. I need some addvise on how to shave and not get the red bumps.
    Lindsey Lipstick
    Lindsey Lipstick
      July 31, 2006 1:22 AM BST
  • Hi Lindsey: Sounds like you have sensitive skin. I have been
    shaving mine for years and you will find it gets easier the more you do it. You might want to try the "sensitive skin" razors, they don't get quite as close to the skin's surface. Creams work, but not for everyone. Sometmes a razor is just better. I have also been told the "VEET" brand of cream depliatory is very good and doesn't seem to have too many reactions with it's use. Hope this helps,
    remember to tell the special people in your life, just how much you care....
      August 13, 2006 1:01 PM BST
  • Thanks for the reply. I have never heard of sensitive skin razors, I'll have to look for one of those. I tried one kind of hair removal cream and all I got were the bumps, i guess i should have tried veet instead. I so wish I could put a on a pair of pantyhose with smooth legs.
    Lindsey
    Lindsey Lipstick
      August 16, 2006 4:29 AM BST
  • I found that VEET hair removal products to be very good at removing hair. It has left my legs smooth and sexy. Given the choice I would hairless all the time.
      January 16, 2007 5:47 AM GMT
  • I shave my legs all year round and found that they very quickly get used to it and there is no rash or bumps. I tend to do them when in a hot bath as well as this really helps and nowadays just use a leg razor and sensitive skin soap.

If you don't keep them hairfree all the time then this might not be the best method for you, it's just a matter of finding the one that suits you best.

Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      January 16, 2007 2:03 PM GMT
  • Hi... remember, there are also the "epilators", like electric shavers, but they pull the hairs out instead of cutting them. (My wife and I refer to ours as the "yankee".) The first time you use it it may be painful, but it is very mild once you are used to it. The advantage of it is that you get very smooth, and the hair does not grow back fast. There is never stubble, because new growth is fine hair. I only have to use it about once a month now, because regrowth has been inhibited. Also, if I let it go a while, people can look at my "man legs", and just think I have thin leg hair.
    The epilator is also great for removing hair from the back of the hand and the wrist, and for thinning arm hair. I also clear the back of my neck with it, although that is a little more painful for me.
    Karin... ..keep smiling!
      January 16, 2007 6:46 PM GMT
  • Hi, like Karin I've also found an epilator preferable to shaving, leaves skin so much smoother for longer & doesn't seem to attract as much attention as 2 day old stubble, used to get smart arse comments at work during summer when wearing shorts & tee shirts about forgetting to shave, no-one to seems to notice now if I let legs & arms grow for a week or more. must admit it's a bit "ouch" on chest & stomach but also worth the result
    Terri Ryan
      January 17, 2007 10:09 AM GMT
  • I tried an epilator for a while but apart from being painful it still failed to get most of the hair out and took a long time. You never know until you try though.
    Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      January 29, 2007 12:18 PM GMT
  • Im glad I read this thread now being a slave to shaving, I decided to try going the way of an epilator and aside from the mild discomfort it seems to really be working and so far at least it seems to be lasting a hell of a lot longer than shaving or creams
      January 30, 2007 6:25 PM GMT
  • Great! Creams are pretty useless as our hair tends to be tougher than GG's. Hair removed by epilation should take at least a couple of weeks to grow back. Glad that you've found a solution.
      January 30, 2007 8:02 PM GMT
  • This site has some good articles on basic Girlculture that women learn growing up. There's even an article on using makeup and how to dress starting with sixth grade into high school. It makes for a gradual learning curve for a t girl as well.

This article is on pubic shaving and addresses some of the complaints that our members have asked about in forum posts in the past.

http://free-beauty-tips.g[...]ir.html
    "A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      March 27, 2007 12:59 AM BST
    Great link Wendy. Its gone into favs already! Tinaxxx
      March 28, 2007 11:43 AM BST
    Hi all,

I prefer just to shave. On my legs it lasts for a good week or so and on my arms a touch longer. My chest does'nt need it apart from, literally, a couple of stray hairs.

But I am blessed by not having an abundance of body hair and certainly not as badly masculine as some.

I do prefer to use female razors and shaving gels as these seem kinder to my skin. And also - oddly - give a far closer, smoother shave.

But, as has been said, it depends on your skin type I guess - and the coarseness of the hair!

Much love

Rae xx
    www.raekelcou.com
      December 31, 2007 1:43 AM GMT
  • Body hair has been a pain for me, so I am in the middle of getting everything lasered, but it is a slow process.

Like Rae, I use a womans razor and used to use a gel but now just use Dove soap and I have never had redness, bumps or itching, anywhere and it lasts about a week but I tend to shave twice a week in order to keep it all invisible anyhow. I know I have sensitive skin too so if it works for me........

As for the laser, I am nearly finished on my face, (I had a REALLY bad shadow), and will be starting on my chest next month. Personally I think a more permanent solution is the way to go, if you can afford it.

Nikki
      December 31, 2007 8:16 AM GMT
  • I'm quite fortunate in that my body hair is very fine and fair. So I only have to shave every six weeks or so and even then it's not urgent. I use a Gillette Fusion razor and always adopt the same process. I shave late, sponge my body down, and always use shaving gel. After that I have a warm shower just to cool the skin down a bit. I then use double bass cream all over my body ( I recommend it, makes your skin feel so soft ). I put a little talcum powder on any inflammed spots. I know I'm going to feel a little sore which is why I shave late. I just let the cream dry off a bit, put on my silky pyjamas and go to bed. When I wake up in the morning the soreness has gone.
    Porscha
      December 31, 2007 9:34 AM GMT
  • Double bass cream? What’s that, Porscha?
    xx
      December 31, 2007 11:35 AM GMT

• double bass ? i thought that was a big violin !

vikki x
      December 31, 2007 2:01 PM GMT
  • No No Vikki, double bass is when you catch two fish on one hook. You're not smearing slimy fish oil all over your body are you Porscha, LOL.
      December 31, 2007 2:15 PM GMT
  • Actually it's Double Base and you can buy it over the counter at the chemist, Lucy. It is about £12 a tub. Use it after showering, its lovely. How did you know I can play the violin, Vikki. I didn't know anyone knew about the slimy fish oil thing. That's just between me and very close friends.
    Porscha
      December 31, 2007 5:43 PM GMT
  • I have started using a Braun epilator for my legs and find it not to be painful. I have read there is the possibility of ingrown hairs so I will keep an eye on that. Also on Anne's comment about teeth. Baking soda does work pretty good, you can even buy toothpaste with baking soda. As for oil pulling, the only real benefit is that it helps clean between the teeth and massages the gums. The detox part is totally bunk simply because for the time involved you will swallow some of the oil so if it really did pull toxins out of your body you are just putting them back in. Besides, who wants to swish oil between there teeth for a half hour or more. It is easy enough to find info online about this. As for nearly everything, eating healthy will provide the best overall benefit for your entire body, inside and out.
      January 30, 2008 1:25 PM GMT
  • The last time my legs were shaved someone did it for me!
    You can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant.
      January 30, 2008 1:46 PM GMT
  • no messing around, go for the wax , it hurts like hell on the top of your leg but it is much faster than the epilator (i think epilation seems to appeal to pp that enjoy the pain a bit to much)

if it brings to much of a tear to your eye thou though of ripping the little buggers from your skin, then i found that if i wash with hot water first, then exfoliate the area i am going to shave and use conditioner as a shaving cream has worked for me the best. the more i shave the less irritation i get as well.

hope this has helped.
    samantha
      February 7, 2008 7:35 AM GMT
  • The cream you want isn't Double Bass or even Double Base. It's called Diprobase, and is readily available from pharmacies. I came across it when our health visitor recommended it for my daughter's nappy rash! (Sorry, but it's true.) I recognised it at once because I made the same mistake about the name! It is excellent post-shaving, and actually you can mix it with water and use it as a shaving cream as well. The big plus is that it is made for people with very dry and sensitive skin, so no perfume, colours or anything that will upset the balance of sore or itchy skin. Wonderful stuff, very soothing! Hope that helps. Love, Lizzie
      March 7, 2008 10:56 PM GMT
  • Lensey, I have to shave every day still. I use the Gilette Mach 3 rasors simply because they work soooooo well. I use them for underarms , legs arms as wellas my face ! Bic makes a sensitive skin razor, but I think in time you willagree that even they're more expensive ,the Gilettes are worth it! Ellen Shaver
    Liberalism , a desease - E Shaver
      September 5, 2008 6:59 PM BST
  • I'm one of the fortunate ones, I have very little body hair and what I have is very fine and doesn't show.
    My fiance who happens to be a TV, however, is relatively hairy. As Bob he used to attend a salon every six weeks to get waxed. This was fairly costly. For less than the price of one session we purchased an epilator. This came with an ice pack to cool the skin. After the first session which caused B a little pain we found that the pain was negligible if the skin was pulled tight. B does his own front while I do the back and bits that cannot be reached. The time taken is less than travel to/from the salon and the waxing. As for the bum crack I shave this every other week for B.
    If I do have the odd hair show on my wrists I just run the epilator over them.
    Alina
    Life is proceeding at a lovely pace
      September 7, 2008 10:19 PM BST