An Incident in Debenhams, Oxford Street

• October 16, 2008 8:31 AM BST
    For me Tuesday afternoon started in a typical way when I'm heading into London. I got to the local bus stop having seen two buses pass the stop and then the next one running late. That late bus meant I missed the coach I wanted to get.
    The first real incident occurred as I got onto the Oxford Espress and used my "Key" (electronic ticket). The driver said "You have 8 journeys left love." As I moved to a seat the next passenger a very nice looking lady bought her ticket and the driver said "That will be £15 for a period return mate."
    If it hadn't been for missing the bus I'd not have been party to the next incident. I got off the coach as usual at the Marble Arch stop and took a walk along Oxford Street before heading to Camden for the Spectrum London meeting. I often pop into Debenhams after getting off the coach because I know exactly where their toilets are and they are general not too busy and are kept clean. Tuesday afternoon was no exception and up to the loo I popped. As I entered the ladies a person caught my attention as she looked at her reflection in the large mirror. Although dressed in a mini skirt the person looked very male. After I'd done what I needed to do I left the confines of a closet and washed my hands. I noted that this person had now moved to the opposite row of hand basins and was having a wet shave. As I moved to the hand dryer two female security officers came into the ladies, went up to this person and said "You can't do that in here. Will you please leave these facilities?" "I have every right to use these facilities," boomed back a very deep masculine voice. "I'm sorry sir but these facilities are for ladies," one of the security officers said. The next part of the conversation hit me, the person about to be evicted was looking in my direction and said "What about that one then?" pointing at me. "That lady is a very regular customer in this shop and has every right to be here," was the security officers reply. As her partner bundled the person out of the loo the security officer came up to me and apologised for the incident. I thanked her and then asked what had caused them to come in at that particular time. "We had a complaint that a man, carrying a large bag, followed a lady customer into here and then he disappeared into a cubicle. The customer was not very happy about this and so reported it to us." As I sat having a panini a few minutes later I thought "I hope this person was not getting ready to come to the Spectrum meeting." Who would be most embarrassed?

Alina
    A mature woman
    http://www.trans-oxon.org.uk
    • 181 posts
    October 17, 2008 1:13 AM BST
    Well....., I could look at what you said Alinia and say two things. First, looking at you're picture you certainly "Look" the part of a lady , ie your'e demeanor is very convincing to me at least. In the conversations we have had , I would be honored to have you with me at any time too! The "other: female should be denounced as any Real lady would never out another person in my humble opinion. It goes back to some comments I made the other day on Walking. I think they are in the General forum section.Im sorry, shaving is not something a Lady would do in a public rest room. Meanwhile Alinia, you rock girl! Ellen
  • October 29, 2008 6:48 PM GMT
    I've met a few TVs who have admitted to using the shops in Oxford Street to get changed in. What fascinates me is how they find the room to change. One admitted to looking into the sanitary disposal bin to work out what it was for and was baffled by the operation of it. Another admitted to being in a cubicle for 45 minutes when there was a fairly long queue.
    • 404 posts
    October 30, 2008 2:38 PM GMT
    Once again,truth turns out to be stranger than fiction.................

It's people like that who give us a bad name!

Ciao,
    Lynn H.
    • 1980 posts
    October 16, 2008 5:00 PM BST
    Hi Alina-
    What a difficult situation. And shame on the other person for trying to drag you into it, I suppose it shows the difference between someone who knows how to behave in public and one who doesn't. And it sounds like the security staff were well trained and knew their business and how to treat a valued customer.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 2017 posts
    October 17, 2008 12:44 PM BST
    Interesting to say the least Alina and I am very impressed by the actions of the security staff, they seemed unusually professional. Well done to them.

But for this girl do drag you into the situation, that is not the behaviour of a lady and she has no right to do that. She obviously has got a lot to learn.

It certainly holds up what I always say, it's not about passing, it's about being accepted and if you act like a lady you will be treated as one.

Nikki
    • 734 posts
    October 19, 2008 12:13 AM BST
    Hi Alina,

I read your post on Thursday when you made it. I refrained from replying for so long because I just found the detail incredible to believe! It just defies explanation.

On the one hand it highlights what an uphill battle we have and how difficult some people can make that journey, on the other how much congenial acceptance is there waiting for us.

For the latter, the professionalism, courtesy and intelligence of the security officers shined out and I was so pleased at how they - quite rightly - recognised you as the lady you are.

For the former, what? I remain, to use the Liverpudlian vernacular, gobsmacked! I was left breathless by the description of 'the guy' having a wet shave at the sink. Unforgiveable. But, if I read it right, a guy [presumably dressed as a guy] walked into the ladies and into a stall. So I assume 'he' used the conveniences as a place to change. I remain speechless.

I think Debenhams were right every step of the way.

Much love to you.

Rae xx
    • 1652 posts
    October 19, 2008 12:39 AM BST
    I was just about to post on this when I read Rae’s comment above, which just about says everything I felt.
    I mean, I don’t mean to be judgmental, BUT…
    I’ve always said that one should use the “restrooms” appropriate to one’s presented gender. Shaving one’s face means one is not presenting as female. Sure, some unfortunate women do need to shave their face, would they do it in Debenhams? I doubt it. I also got the impression that the guy walked into the ladies in order to change into female clothes (and then have a shave). Unacceptable behaviour. Women have rights too.
    You can’t walk into the ladies dressed as a guy, nor should you openly be doing “guy things” in there; it is the LADIES for christ’s sake!
    Having a shave in a department store seems to me quite a ridiculous thing to do anyway, even in the gents, but if he must, obviously he should have done it in the gents. And if he needs somewhere to change (Debenhams, really is that the best place he could find?..) then he should either use the gents and take his chances on the way out, or find disabled, unisex facilities. I know it can be difficult for some trannies who want to go out and can’t change at home, but come on, that’s all just a bit daft isn’t it?
    Then there’s the, “What about that one then…?” comment. Grrrr. It’s sad that when people feel hard done by they just want to take other people down with them; if I can’t have it why should they? Perhaps because some people have done enough to deserve it.
    One has to earn respect, and one should respect others. One does not have the right to do as one bloody well pleases.
    Clearly, Alina is a woman, and behaves as such.
    This guy’s behaviour does not help anyone’s cause, especially his own.
    xx