Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Make-Up Tips » Good and bad hair days

Good and bad hair days

Tags : None
  • Rather than detract from the latest makeup thread I thought it would be nice to talk about those good and bad hair days and maybe what products help with what.

I have really fine hair and it has been a challenge for me to keep volume in it throughout the day. Living along the southeast coast of the U.S, my hair faces wind, extreme humidity, and for a no better name, morning hair. Yesterday I had my hair done and the gal who has been taking care of my hair for over a year now commented on how much better it felt and looked. I've been growing it out for about 1 1/2 years now and through trial and error I have learned it is all about "products." My experience has been shampoos don't vary much beyond the ones designed for deep cleaning and more moderate ones. Conditioners possibly add some benefit even if it is only to make brushing later more manageable. But the products that have made the most difference in styling my hair are ones put in after I towel dry. First off, I gently towel dry then I use a plumping cream from Sunsilk called "daring Volume." Next for me I wrap my hair in a turban and go to work on my face. When I get back to my hair it is usually barely moist. While hanging my head down, I spread my hair in several places and spray Suave Professional Root Lifter Spray Gel directing it more towards the roots. I then work it through with my fingers. Probably the best hair tools a woman can have is an assortment of round brushes. Take my word for it, life is much better with a round brush, lol. I use a high wattage Ion blow dryer for drying my hair. While hanging my head down, I brush my hair wrapping it around the large round brush. I do this along the sides, back and top. A variety of angles ranging from horizontal to vertical will allow the hair to cross over other hair and help with creating volume. After drying the entire head, I then put my head upright and do the final styling which for me is curling the ends inwards. Depending on the weather report I will spray my hair using Fructis Style "Sleek & Shine Anti-humidity Hairspray." I have also found that for styling the next day, all it takes is working in a little water and quickly drying around the round brush again. And now for those really bad hair days I just put my hair in a ponytail and put on a baseball cap with the ponytail sticking out the back.

Oh how I wish I had lots of full volumous hair. But then again I know gals with very curly hair who would give anything to have mine, lol.

Hugs,
    Marsha
      January 20, 2009 7:15 PM GMT
  • Like make up, this has also taken a while to find the right combination for me, and has changed as my hair has grown longer.

Currently I use Treseme products as they seem to work well on my hair. After shampooing and conditioning, I wrap a towel around it. I never blow dry my hair, to do so would be to end up looking like Diana Ross! As it dries, I use some serum on the ends, (about the last 4 inches), and leave it alone. If I am going out, it will usually be worn up, since it doesn't like being straightened soon after being washed. When I do straighten it, I use either a heat defense spray or just a plain old water spray, they both work, and it takes me about 20 minutes to straighten it properly, layer by layer. Normally it gets less than that because I simply don't have the time.

Thank god for scrunchies and hair clips!

Nikki
    Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      January 20, 2009 7:54 PM GMT
  • 2 2627
    Marsha
    Good God Girl! WOW!!
    I think I'll keep it short for now.
    <p>Karen Brad</p>
      January 20, 2009 8:48 PM GMT
  • Karen, actually now that I'm getting the hang of it, if my hair cooperates I can have it done in 5-10 minutes. Just like makeup it takes time to learn the different techniques. Practice, practice, practice.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
      January 21, 2009 3:59 AM GMT
    Marsha Ann
    Conditioners do count a lot - both my wife and I have fine hair. Two seconds in the wind and it looks like a mess.
    hugs
    Gracie
    <p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      January 21, 2009 4:34 PM GMT