Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Great Transgender Shopping » Shopping for girls in Eastern Ontario

Shopping for girls in Eastern Ontario

Tags : None
  • Hi everyone,

This is mostly aimed for those of us in Canada, but feel free to chime in.

Where have the other Canucks on here found are good stores to go to that are trans-friendly?

Value Village is often mentioned, and I went to the one on Bank St. here in Ottawa in drab and didn't have any issues selecting some skirts and blouses to try on. I was able to try them on without incident and bought two skirts and a blouse.

I've heard the Pennington's 14+ in Brockville is trans friendly, most of the staff being gay / lesbian.

Where else have people found to be friendly for shopping in Eastern Ontario?

CJ.
      February 2, 2009 4:04 AM GMT
    Hi CJ-

I'm not an Otawattan....is that how you say it? But we have do have Value Village here in the USofA and I love them. Fwiw, most places I have been, whether enfemme or endrabbe and bought girl clothes, most people, at least the staff, don't seem to give a rip one way or another. Happy shopping.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    "Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." -Oscar Wilde
      February 2, 2009 4:22 AM GMT
  • HI CJ,

I have shopped at Value Village and the BArgin Shop and like you said had not problems.

I have also shopped at Wal-Mart, before I figured out my sizes. I usually pick up what clothes I want to try one. If know is around I will duck in a the fitting room in the ladies section. Or i take what I want to try on over the men"s ware. I pick up a couple of men"s items put them over the other clothes and go into the mens fitting rooms. One has seemed to noticed or cared.

I have not tired Pennington's +14 or Addition Elle, both do have good web sites

I hope this helps, Happy shopping

Maria
      February 2, 2009 3:43 PM GMT
  • Hi Girls,

I am in Southern Ontario and shop enfemme at both Value Village and Walmart with no issues. I have not tried anything on in Walmart but would just do what otehrs have done, if enfemme use the ladies, and in drab, use the mens. i will have to try Penningtons as well, I have heard they are very friendly there. For shoes I almost always buy at Payless, they carry a good selection that changes often and nevr any issues. I can normally find my size with no issues at all.

Hugs Brenda
      March 15, 2009 10:49 PM GMT
  • My only option has been ebay...

Finding decent stuff online has been rather hit or miss. It complicates and limits things being tall, and on the plus size. It took a few mis-sized purchases before I began to narrow down the proper size. I do a general search for a size, and then look for any specific measurements that may indicate that the manufacturer's size is different than the typical measurements for the size I've seen.

I have only recently gone into a brick and mortar store (two trips to Walmart, nowhere else so far), unfortunately they don't cater to plus sizes. I did find a few items on one trip.

Walking through the womens dept checking out things was a huge milestone for myself. Started with ducking in and out of the section when no one was around, until I created a cover story "shopping for a GF", if anyone asked, and I was able to relax. Didn't get any weird looks or stares, so it helped the relaxation process... until I went to the cashier... but it went well.
      October 3, 2009 3:10 AM BST
  • I wish I was there..... I want to shop in Canada. <3
      August 14, 2012 4:49 AM BST