• November 25, 2010 4:37 PM GMT
    I'm able to receive messages in "My messages" which of course I reply to.
    But there's no record of my replies being sent.
    I don't want any of the girls who've PM'd me thinking I'm ignorant.
    Can you please help?
    • 105 posts
    November 25, 2010 5:36 PM GMT
    Hi Janis,

I've run into this problem in the past, and generally find that the problem lies in the 250-character limit for messages. Whereas a message sent from someone's profile will throw up an error if you exceed the 250 characters, a too-lengthy reply to a message doesn't give an error - it just doesn't send the reply.

I normally get around this by going to my correspondent's profile, copying the message title into a new message subject and sending from there.

Hugs,

Judith.
  • November 25, 2010 5:47 PM GMT
    Thanks Mellie,
    I've tried your suggestions but no joy.
    I'll just wait for the new much vaunted mega-mega GS site.

"Megga-Megga-Punk-Maaaaaaaaaan" - Bow Wow Wow.
  • November 25, 2010 6:05 PM GMT
    Hi Judith,
    Is there a 250 (Twitter like) limit on replies to messages?
    I'm sure I've received and sent messages with more than 250 characters.
    The reason I started this thread was that I got a lovely PM from an Irish girl called Penny (Hi Penny) and I've no record of the sending of my reply to her .
    • 12 posts
    November 25, 2010 10:01 PM GMT
    It works - nice one Melody

Any idea why I can't add friends by pressing the add to frinds button?

Lucy x
    • 12 posts
    November 25, 2010 10:02 PM GMT
    It works - nice one Melody

Any idea why I can't add friends by pressing the add to friends button?

Lucy x
    • 12 posts
    November 25, 2010 10:56 PM GMT
    Hi Melody,

Thanks and Oops! A couple of people might think I'm hounding them!

Sorry girls!

Lucy x
  • November 26, 2010 9:38 AM GMT
    Hi Janis,

Sadly I didn't receive your message but thanks for trying and also for the lovely comment in this forum.

Hugs

Penny
  • November 26, 2010 9:51 AM GMT
    I just said that I loved your profile pics.
    And that you looked so feminine and completely passable.
  • November 26, 2010 12:41 PM GMT
    Success!
    Using the "Melody Method" I was able to send my PM to Penny.
    • 1017 posts
    November 25, 2010 5:15 PM GMT
    Hi Janis,

Sounds like you've come down with "PM Rot." Your messages don't show up in "Sent" because they weren't, they have gone off into the great pink void. I've been having the same since I joined the old TW and have reported it to tech support several times, as have others.

Since we are so close to the new site going live, I doubt any effort will go into solving it.

Here's a work around that {usually} works:

After sending a PM immediately check the Sent Folder to see if it is there. If it is great, if not use your browser's Back button a couple of times til you get back to where you composed the PM. Send it again. Repeat the above.

Rae, who also suffers from PM Rot, has dubbed this the "Melody Method."

I've found I get better results going the the recipient's Profile and click on the pink "Messages" button (not the Send This Member a Message box that's actually on the profile page.)

As I said above, this usually works eventually, it has taken as many as 12 tries to send a PM, and I gave up after 20 tries once trying to reply to Judith.

Best,
    Mellie
    • 734 posts
    November 25, 2010 7:09 PM GMT
    Haha, Melody, I do indeed recall the 'Melody Method'. It - usually - does work, Janis, so please don't give up trying ...
    Rae x
    • 1017 posts
    November 25, 2010 10:17 PM GMT
    Hi Lucy,

Welcome to TGS. I'm glad it worked for you.

When you press the "Add to Friends" button, you are basically sending the potential friend a request to be their friend. They have to "Approve" your request before you become their friend.

Best,
    Mellie
    • 2127 posts
    December 7, 2010 1:48 PM GMT
    Hopefully, there will shortly be no need for the Melody Method, although it's been a great work-around. Thanks Melody.

Hopefully, you'll find that internal mail on our new site is much, much better.

Hugs, Katie x