Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Transgender Movies » The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

Tags : None
  • Here's an obvious one to get the ball rolling...

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert  ;D
    Released 1994 - Starring: Hugo Weaving, Guy Pearce, Terence Stamp

Two drag queens and a transsexual land a cabaret gig in Alice Springs, out in the middle of the Australian desert.

This rollicking comedy follows their adventures through what is essentially cowboy country aboard their lavender motor home, dubbed "Priscilla."

It turns out that their Alice Springs contract was arranged by the ex-wife of Anthony (the transsexual now known as Bernadette and energetically portrayed by Stamp), and that they have a son.

Note also the appearance of Guy Pearce, destined for very different roles later in "L.A. Confidential" and "Memento." There's some action, a few tense moments, and lots of laughs in this offbeat film from Down Under.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm!
      October 30, 2001 10:37 AM GMT
  • That is a very good flick...caught it late one night on bravo....Was Inspired to paint my first," tranny" painting.......abstract of the four characters in the flick!
      December 24, 2001 11:29 PM GMT
  • I bought a new video machine over the weekend, and since I already had the video "Priscilla", I watched it AGAIN
    ;Dlast night for the umpteenth time. It certainly is a classic!
      June 25, 2002 8:24 PM BST
  • Katie,

Just wanted to point out that the role of Bernadette was played by Terrance Stamp [ who also played the chancellor in Star Wars I]

,but the role you refer to as the parent is played by Hugo Weaving [ Agent Smith from the Matrix Series]

Anthony was a queen whilst Bernadette was the TS.

It was a top flick, although the outback of Oz is friendlier than portrayed..... you may get a strange look or two.
    Fiona.
    To love what one has is to be resigned to never get what one wants. Natalie Clifford Barney.
      June 13, 2003 4:18 PM BST
  • It is with great pleasure that I am watching "Priscilla" right now! Of course, when my friend gets back I'll have to change the channel and put on something more masculine like an American football game. I hate that.

Let's not forget that Hugo Weaving was also in the "Lord of the Rings" films.

I love this movie.
    You can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant.
      October 23, 2005 6:38 PM BST
  • Perhaps we should buy the place and make it a tranny vacation destination.
      June 1, 2007 4:41 PM BST