To Hormone or not to Hormone?

• January 7, 2002 1:38 AM GMT
    Hi Patty,

If you've had kidney problems the one possible route is hormone patches. You'll probably need a script for them so a visit to the doc is essential. I do have a friend who got them from a gynecoligist instead of her GP.
    As for diminished penile response, time will tell. It takes about 12 months before changes are irreversable. Plenty of time to find out if you're suited to the whole deal!

Love and Peace in '02

Irene
    • 246 posts
    September 23, 2002 2:18 AM BST
    i cant answer... i takin nuthin. i know nuthin. i wish i did/
  • October 4, 2002 8:32 AM BST
    Yes Rikki

I have been doing some checking and it turned out that many companies inside Europe send the stuff from outside EU. However I found one company in Spain, whick also packs the drugs there. Contradictionary this company wants to have US dollars instead of euros.
    I wouldn´t be acting here on my own if we had a more modern health care system without long governmental waiting lists... I´m far too independent and stubborn for just to wait forever.

hugs

Laura
  • September 23, 2002 2:07 AM BST
    Has anyone used Suma (as a phytoprogesterone) or Red Clover (as a phytoestrogen)? I'm considering adding these two to my lineup, especially the Red Clover, but I'm still hunting for more information.

I think I've decided against Saw Palmetto (as a phytoantiandrogen), for now, but the issue is not dead. It seems to have a lot going for it, and I'd love to add an herbal testosterone blocker to my daily routine, but if there's a chance that it will work against the phytoestrogens and/or phytoprogesterones, I'd rather pass on it. The Finasteride will have to do, for the moment. There just aren't many herbal choices in this category, and Finasteride and Spironolactone are very expensive.

Regarding other popular feminizing (or feminizing-related) herbals, I've found insufficient information for taking any of the following:

Evening Primrose Oil
    Licorice Root
    Dong Quai
    Coenzyme Q10
    Blue Green Algae

Some of those are found in women's multi-vitamins in small doses (mine contains 25 mg of Dong Quai per tablet), but I'm not going out of my way to make them part of my routine. If any of you have any good sources to suggest that taking any of these will actually work, please let me know. Also, if you have first hand experience that suggests any of these work, I'd like to know that, too.
  • November 25, 2002 10:30 AM GMT
    Well, this androgen blocker called Aldactone seems to function. I´m surprised how it has slowed down my facial hair growth. If it continues this way I can stop shaving for good...

hugs

Laura
    • 10 posts
    February 12, 2002 7:51 PM GMT
    I am taking a full dose of hormones. Estradiol 3ea. daily 2mg tablets and Progesterone 100mg capsules. I went on them for a while, went off for a while and could not stand the months I was off of them. It was all I thought about. I could feel my body returning to being a male and it made me nauseated. Just thinking about looking male again was horrible. So I ordered more and started again, and finally got them today

So here I go again, and I guess this time I am going to keep going until I can't go back. I am tired of fighting my own mind and coming to terms to make society happy. I have been alive to long and been through to much shit not to be myself or to be happy. I spend more time helping everybody else to make sure they are happy. I am the most nonselfish person you could ever meet. And the most unhappy inside. Until the other day, I finally decided to just go through with it. This hormone on and off thing has been going on for almost 2 years. You'll know in time what you want. As your body changes, your mind changes, as you change. It is scary at first, but after  awhile looking in the mirror, the reflection of your true self emerges over the months. Its exciting. And to go off them is depressing. I am on for good now. No going back.

I must add at this date after receiving many emails I am a TS. I am going to a therapist and now I am going to an Endocronologist. Only a TS should be on HRT (hormone replacement therapy) I have a mind of a woman, It is wired and mapped that way. A tru CD/V has a mind mapped like a male and to take hormones will cause very trauatic side effects.
    Hormomes are very dangerous. If your desire is to take them YOU MUST SEE a thereapist and see what is going on in your mind. Please so not just take them and take your chances.  
  • September 9, 2002 6:40 PM BST
    The only thing I've learned for certain while doing my research is that using herbals is an inexact science. They work differently for each user, and there aren't enough studies to know exact dosages for the intended results (feminization, preventing cancer, whatever). The main thing I've tried to do is avoid taking anything harmful or any amounts that would be harmful. From everything I've found, Black Cohosh is THE main ingredient for herbal feminization, and I'm probably using the maximum limit.
  • September 15, 2002 7:33 PM BST
    Hi All,

One thing I have read and noticed with Saw Palmetto is the increased ejaculate. Your loving spoonful may increase! The DHT blocking effect should help stop development of additional body hair. The ones where you look in the mirror and scream, damn near dislocate a shoulder trying to pluck them tooD

• October 4, 2002 2:23 AM BST
    This is quickly turning into my favorite topic of discussion.

Randy:
    Regarding getting your isoflavones from Red Clover vs. Soy, here's an article that does a good job of explaining it: Red Clover: Better than Soy. For those in a hurry, here's a short quote that sums it up:

"Why red clover? Soy contains a variety of isoflavones, including two potent ones called genistein and daidzein. But red clover, in comparison, has two additional ones called formononetin and biochanin. Red clover also contains flavonoid compounds called coumestans, which some studies suggest have six times more estrogen like activity than most isoflavones."

Laura:
    I don't blame you for being angry. They should've shipped your order in a regular box, especially if the package is headed for the "EU."

Kris:
    As you can see in my picture, I wear my hair long. A while back, my DNA turned against me and I noticed that I was starting the dreaded process known as "male pattern baldness." I intend to keep my hair, so, before the situation got bad, I saw a doctor and got a prescription for Propecia, which is 1 mg of Finasteride per day (to be taken for life, or until something better comes along). It works for me, as I haven't lost any hair since I started using it. Unlike Spironolactone, Finasteride isn't supposed to be a general antiandrogen, but it is still a testosterone blocker, and some patients have reported feminizing side effects (such as breast puffiness). Unfortunately, both drugs are very expensive.

I have never discussed my desire to feminize with a doctor (of any kind), and, against advice from a couple of friends (and common sense), I started taking herbals before seeing a doctor. I just want to get a sense of what herbals can do before I make a commitment to prescription hormones. Someday, I might get prescriptions for Estradiol, Medroxyprogesterone Acetate, and Spironolactone (or similar drugs), but those are a bit too powerful for my current social situation. If female family members are any indication of how I'd look on a full-blown hormone regimen (very much the hour-glass figures), I doubt that I'd ever be able to hide my figure again, so I'd have to be ready to live as a woman. Most of the things I've read and heard indicate that a male can usually expect to achieve breast size of one cup-size below that of closely related female family members, with an all-out hormonal assault. As much as that appeals to me, the timing is not yet right, so maybe the herbals will help prepare me until I'm ready for the real thing (or should I say, "the synthetic thing"?).

Rikki:
    Hi.
  • November 25, 2002 1:56 AM GMT
    On a more philosophical note, for those who might be new to feminizing herbs and haven't read through this whole topic, I'm taking these herbs only because I'm considering prescription hormones in the future, and these herbs are mainly training hormones for me, for lack of a better term. By researching these herbs, I've learned a lot about hormones in general, so I think it's worth the experience, for the short term. I really don't expect much in the way of physical changes, and, in my case, even if I do notice some minor feminization, I won't really know which herbs (or even the Propecia) had more to do with it.

Based on everything I've learned so far, I wouldn't recommend using herbs unless you're considering the possibility of embarking on real hormone therapy in the relatively near future. Psychologically, knowing that I'm taking feminizing herbs does help me to think more realistically about my future plans. Even though I'm aware of the psychology involved, the act of taking the herbs on a daily basis still makes hormone therapy seem more like a realistic plan than a daydream.  

It's not a game, and herbs aren't candy, but I've found them to be a good way of educating myself, as I knew very little about hormones only a few months ago. I'm not fooling myself into thinking that herbs alone will take me where I want to go, but I disagree with those who suggest that feminizing herbs are a complete waste of time, effort, and money. Some of us have to work our way up to the idea of starting serious hormone therapy, and I think this is a good first step. I'd be interested in hearing some other opinions about this.
  • December 16, 2002 11:14 AM GMT
    Randy, how long have you been using Red Clover?
  • December 16, 2001 8:21 AM GMT
    I would recommend thinking twice before taking the so-called natural hormones.  These phytoestrogens (and other plant-derived hormone mimics) are very mild.  Some people have had their bodies react to these substances by boosting testosterone output.  Not what you would want!

From what I understand, it's about 50/50 whether you will see any physical changes whatsoever.  The mental/emotional changes can be comforting, but if this is the case then maybe getting the real thing is what you need.

After 40 years of denial and delusion, thinking that I could play the male role and eventually find happiness, I am about to start HRT and move down the path.  I am TS, so to me it's simply necessary.  But each person has to make her own decision.

If it's that important, are you going to take half-measures?  Besides, with the phytoestrogens you are not saving any money!  They cost as much or more than the real thing.  Something to think about.

Elissa
  • February 9, 2002 2:23 PM GMT
    Hi Girls,

Just a little update on the herbal supplements. I'm about 3 months along with the regimen I've been using, mostly black cohosh with B-complex and saw palmetto. The only changes I've noticed is a slight re-distribution of body fat in the hip and chest area. Handy as I can no longer step into some of my clothes. I've got a silver dress that I've had for 2-3 years and have always stepped in and pulleed it up. Well last night I tried it on for the first time in many months and don't you know, it won't go over my butt! Over the head and wriggle it down. The lesson I've learnt from this is to keep accurate body measurements and record them every month.

Love to all,

Irene
  • July 13, 2002 9:35 PM BST
    so you sayin that the place with the manchester head office sells placebos (good group by the way) cos if they do, they not being true to themselves and should burn in the fires of hell. (gothic sentiment is not my strongpoint, but the look? mmmm maybe?) anyway, is the only option electrolysis??? and prescription hormones or what. loads of people are confused, and lots find it hard to pay for stuff. maybe there is a solution somewhere we can all embrace, and make our own, and then again maybe the system is simply in place to take our momey, all of it if they can, and then tell us that we are outcast after theyve taken it all away. i love to rant when i in the right frame of mind (sober). i'll stop this monologue for now...
    • 90 posts
    September 9, 2002 3:02 PM BST
    Stevie

Many Many thanks for responding in such detail. Your help is much appreciated.

I am trying:
    Black Cohosh     8 x 40mg
    Wild Yam           2 x 405mg
    Agnus Castus     2 x 400mg
    Saw Palmetto     2 x 400mg
    Vitamin E        400iu
    Primrose Oil     2 x 500mg

My Black Cohosh dosage is way way under yours and this might be a problem for all UK users as the standard strength available from our best known high street chain (Holland and Barrett) is 40mg.
    50 a day - WOW!

Thanks again
    Annie

• September 15, 2002 10:25 AM BST
    Yes, herbals are very confusing, much more so than prescription hormones. I think it's much easier to understand the latter, though. If I were taking those, my daily dosage might look something like this, depending on a doctor's advice:

Estrogen:
    Estradiol = 8 mg

Progesterone/Progestin:
    Natural Progesterone USP = 400 mg
    or
    Dydrogesterone = 20 mg
    or
    Medroxyprogesterone Acetate = 10 mg

Anti-androgens:
    Spironolactone = 200 mg
    and
    Finasteride = 1 mg

It really depends on what's available in your country, and whether those drugs are sold over-the-counter or by prescription only. Anyway, every time I think I've got a handle on herbals, I read something new that takes me right back to being confused. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/fashionlab/Images/Smileys/Laugh01.gif
    • 195 posts
    October 3, 2002 11:43 PM BST

Blah! Woof! Am I mad with our crazy customs. They just rejected my spironolactone and sent it bact to Thailand. They said drugs will be let in only from inside EU. Now I must find a company who´s packing the stuff inside this union.

Try here - It's a UK company but I don't know where they ship from  -  http://www.inhousepharmacy.co.uk/bcp-hormones/spironolactone.html
  • November 25, 2002 1:10 AM GMT
    Research Update

In my continuing research, I'm finding more and more confirmation that Saw Palmetto, Mexican Wild Yam Root, and Don Quai are probably useless as feminizing herbs. Also, while Licorice is supposed to have some level of effectiveness as a phytoestrogen (and as a phytoantiandrogen), the amounts needed to do anything useful appear to be toxic and way too dangerous to play with, especially when Black Cohosh is already a better option. Regarding Wild Yam, I've been using it, but I'll probably drop it when my current supply runs out. I don't think taking it in reasonable doses can hurt, but if the body can't synthesize diosgenin from Wild Yam into progesterone, then there's no reason to give the body (mainly the liver) another herb to handle. Also, it's not necessary to spend the money on it. Individual herbs are inexpensive, but when you take several together, the costs add up. I've already mentioned that I would not be taking Don Quai if it weren't part of my multi-vitamin.

Not that it's a big surprise, but if you're going to take only one herb for feminizing, Black Cohosh appears to be the best choice. The maximum non-toxic dosage for Black Cohosh still seems to be around 2000 mg per day. Black Cohosh and Red Clover continue to be referred to as two of the best feminizing herbs around.  Compared to Soy and Sage, Red Clover is usually considered a better source of isoflavones. If fact, I can't remember reading anything that recommends Soy over Red Clover (although Soy isn't bad).

I found some information that I previously hadn't been aware of, which suggests a possible conflict between Black Cohosh and Vitex. Among other things, Black Cohosh is supposed to suppress LH (leutenizing hormone) production, whereas Vitex stimulates LH production, which can in turn increase levels of progesterone secreted by the endocrine system. I don't yet know how accurate that information is, and, if so, how effective each herb is in what it does (regarding LH production). Even if there is a legitimate clash in that area, I don't know if that would have a negative impact on feminization. I'm still researching this, but if anyone else knows about this, please let me know. Aside from the LH thing, these two herbs seem to compliment each other.

More later...
  • February 18, 2003 3:05 AM GMT
    Annik, if you know for certain that you are ready to deal with the drastic changes that prescription hormones cause, I agree with you. However, they aren't right for everyone. Unfortunately, I'm not at a point in my life where I'm ready to have a body so feminine that I can't go back to being a guy. I still have to live as a man at work and until I resolve several lifestyle issues, I can't take the plunge. The herbal supplements I've been taking over the past six months have actually worked, but they haven't done so much to my body that I can't still pass as a guy.<br><br>For those in similar position to mine, herbs might be the only option for a while (or forever). Going in, I had my doubts about their effectiveness, but I've experienced noticeable results, emotionally and physically, although the physical changes took a while to manifest themselves. Herbs won't do anywhere near as much as real hormones, but that's what makes herbs an attractive option for some of us. I can say that I have definitely not wasted my money, and I've got a much better perspective regarding a possible decision to use prescription hormones in the future.
    • 530 posts
    October 31, 2001 1:06 AM GMT
    Two years ago,I realised the only option for me was to go 'all the way'.I fought my way through the 'system',and have now been on hormones for over eighteen months.If it is the right thing for you,you will know it.The effects are as much mental as physical.There is a serenity that comes from within,a wonderful sense of wellbeing.It is hard to describe,and I know others who have tried to explain it to me.
    If,on the other hand,you are not a true TS,apparently you soon find out,as your body will not like it.I have met two people who have been there,and stopped taking them after about two months.
    As for life 'without'? That is my goal.I transitioned at work,and am just waiting...
    Good luck to you,and anyone else thinking of taking the same path.
    Love, Sue.XX
  • December 16, 2001 8:16 AM GMT
    Hey hon, don't fret!  In Minneapolis there are many doctors and counselors you can turn to.  Do it right and do what you need to do for yourself.

Hugs,
    Elissa
  • June 17, 2002 9:10 PM BST
    Thank you! I try hard to keep my girlish figure and would love a job that let me show it off!!
    :-)
  • July 12, 2002 11:49 PM BST
    As to that question, herbals and breast pump, Maybe!
    Breast cream, would that be the stuff bought at a famous tranny chain store? If yes then no! The products they sell, are completely bogus. The hormone bubble bath makes me laugh the most. Stephanie Anne Loyld should be ashamed of herself..........

Irene
  • September 9, 2002 4:52 AM BST
    I've never found any information that suggests that Wild Yam is supposed to act as an androgen inhibitor. The only claims (for feminization purposes) are that it contains progesterone, which the body might convert into estrogen. However, I've also found statements like the one below, from http://www.healthwell.com:

"Contrary to popular claims, wild yam roots do not contain and are not converted into progesterone or dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) in the body. Pharmaceutical progesterone is made from wild yam using a chemical conversion process. This can lead to confusion—while wild yam can be a source of progesterone, it cannot be used without this pharmaceutical conversion, which cannot be duplicated by the body. Women who require progesterone should consult with their physician and not rely on wild yam supplements."

Wild Yam supposedly has other non-feminizing health benefits, so it might be good to take, but I'll drop it if I can confirm from some more sources that the body really can't use it to help with estrogen production.

Regarding Coenzyme Q10, I've never found anything that suggests it helps to feminize the body. However, I did find this from http://www.health-n-energy.com:

"CoQ-10 is an enzyme found in all cells of the body. It occurs naturally, and is the co-factor in the electron transport chain between cells. If is lacking, the body's most important source of cellular energy is depleted, and many medical conditions are aggravated. It is most concentrated in the heart and liver, and is a vital component in the mitochondria, the body's metabolic factories. It is a powerful antioxidant, scavenging free radicals, sitting in the membranes with Vitamin E which it recycles to keep it most active. It has been shown that enhancing the body's CoQ-10 can:

Reduce many of the serious side effects of cholesterol and other prescription drugs such as adriamycin, beta blockers, and psychiatric drugs; Reduce the effects of aging; Aid in the recovery from a wide range of heart problems including angina pectoris, congestive heart failure and mitral valve prolapse; Reduce blood pressure and blood lipids at 60 mg day; Assist chronic fatigue sufferers when administered at 100 to 300 mg per day; Assist in weight loss by stimulating mitochrondria and thermogenic activity; Treat chronic gum disease; Building a strong immune system as a defense against all forms of disease; May normalize blood sugar levels; and<br>Help maintain a healthy brain."

For some information on Evening Primrose oil, check this link: http://www.hcrc.org/faqs/eveprim.html.

The research never ends...

• September 13, 2002 7:46 AM BST
    The more I read about hormones, the more confused I get. Some people suggest that when you increase your estrogen level,that will automatically drop your testerone levels by having shrinking influence on your testes and testerone production. And then some people say, a part of the estrogen may change into testerone. A frightening picture.
    Anyway, I´ll continue with Diane-35 (crypterone + estrogen), which is designed for girls having acne and too many masculine features during their puberty. And that´s where we are, aren´t we?

hugs

Laura
  • October 12, 2002 12:46 PM BST
    HI GIRLS, I'VE NOTICED SOMETHING NEW ABOUT MY HORMONE THERAPY.I'M GOING THRU PUBERTY A SECOND TIME,ONLY NOW AS A GIRL.   :I HAVE A LOT OF STRANGE FEELINGS & AWAKENINGS,THAT I'M NOT USED TO HAVING.ANY OTHER GIRLS OUT THERE HAVING SIMILAR FEELINGS???    LOVE ...PHYLISS
  • October 30, 2001 10:42 PM GMT
    Hi Girls,

I've recently started taking Black Cohosh, only on week 2, and was wondering if there was somebody else in a similar position.
    I haven't gone the synthetic route as yet, not sure if I want to go the whole way. The dosage I was using lowered my sex drive to the extent that I don't even notice I have a penis! Life without it wouldn't be so bad, I think?

Love

Irene

• February 4, 2002 8:15 PM GMT
    Hi Mae,

Hey, don't come at me with the labels. Can't a girl just be herself without folks always trying to put them in a box.
    I don't prescribe to any of the pyscho babble or terms bandied about by the world in general. Frankly that TG people seem happy to accept these rather narrow definitions I find saddening.

Other than the mood swings I'm fine thanks for asking,

Irene
  • June 16, 2002 9:28 PM BST
    Hi Lisa,

Sweet of you to say so hon. Loved that pic of you at your keyboard! You can work in my office anytime!

Love

Irene
  • July 11, 2002 11:37 PM BST

Does anyone have an idear what the most inexpensive way to enhance my breasts and still have male erections?Can I use a breast pump,breast cream and herbals?
    let me know when you have the answer...
  • August 16, 2002 8:57 PM BST

Yeah, they're what make you handy in a bar fight, rugby scrum etc.
  • October 3, 2002 11:52 AM BST
    Blah! Woof! Am I mad with our crazy customs. They just rejected my spironolactone and sent it bact to Thailand. They said drugs will be let in only from inside EU. Now I must find a company who´s packing the stuff inside this union.
    The problem was that the pills were too big, so they could feel them through the letter. And you can image their faces: Well, well what do we have, pills from Thailand...VEEERY suspicious. BLAAAH.

Laura
  • October 12, 2002 8:01 AM BST
    From 10/02/2002, 11:01 PM...

Some use Saw Palmetto as a phytoantiandrogen, but it's supposed to do what Finasteride does, so I don't take it. Most trannies who take it for feminization use two daily doses of 160 mg each. However, while taking Saw Palmetto is considered to be generally healthy for most genetic males, there is much debate over whether this herb helps or hinders feminization in genetic males. Then again, the same can be said for most herbals.

There aren't very many choices when it comes to herbal testosterone blockers. For now, I'm relying on the one prescription drug I take (which I already take for non-feminization purposes).
  • February 17, 2003 8:56 AM GMT
    Shelley

The substitute for spironolactone is cyproterone. So you could try that. But it costs some threes time more than spiro. A drug as Diane-35 contains estrogen and cyproterone, and it is a common starter of ts people, but on the long run it is not strong enough.

Thanks Annik for your trusting words. I am just a girl, who is interested in these things and have read everything I got into my hands about it. But I´m no doctor...

Laura

• June 14, 2002 4:47 PM BST
    This is the bet posting on hormones I have ever seen on any site!! Thank you so much!! Have a wonderful life!!
  • July 11, 2002 11:14 PM BST

Does anyone have an idear what the most inexpensive way to enhance my breasts and still have male erections?Can I use a breast pump,breast cream and herbals?
    if you fid out let me know.
  • August 16, 2002 3:04 AM BST
    "nasty aggressive hormones"  http://mywebpages.comcast.net/fashionlab/Images/Smileys/Laugh01.gif
  • September 8, 2002 8:39 PM BST
    Here's my daily dosage (I take half in the morning, half in the evening):

Black Cohosh Root = 2060 mg (four 515 mg capsules)
    Wild Yam = 1000 mg (two 500 mg capsules)
    Vitex Agnus-Castus = 800 mg (two 400 mg capsules)
    Pregnenolone = 30mg (1 capsule)
    Vitamin E = 100 I.U. (as part of a multi-vitamin; two 50 I.U. tablets)
    Finasteride (Propecia) = 1 mg (1 tablet; prescription only)

Here's a good site to use as a guideline. I've read a few other things that back up what this site says (regarding dosages and which herbs to use), but this is the best one that has everything in one place: Lisbeth's Rose Garden (thanks Rikki).

I use The Vitamin Shoppe to order most things. I'm using The Vitamin Shoppe brand for the Wild Yam and Pregnenolone, and the Nature's Way brand for the Vitex and Black Cohosh (all four are very inexpensive). Obviously, it's still way too early for me to recommend any brands, but after one weekend, everything's O.K.

Any good multi-vitamin should take care of the Vitamin E.

Propecia is expensive, but it's very easy for most males to get a prescription, in order to prevent (hopefully) baldness. The reason I list it here is because finasteride blocks testosterone. I'm taking it anyway, to keep my hair, so I hope it works with the herbal testosterone blockers/androgen inhibitors. I haven't found anything that indicates any danger from taking these together, but I'm always looking. Because of the Propecia, I'm not bothering to take Saw Palmetto (an herbal testosterone blocker), but Vitex, while also an herbal testosterone blocker, is supposed to have other feminizing effects, so I decided to include it. I've used Propecia for over a year, and I haven't noticed any negative side effects, but some males claim they have. Of course, you have to talk to a doctor, but you can get more information at Finasteride.com or by running a search for other websites (ther's plenty of good and bad info out there). The following information is from the Rx List website (the Internet drug index).

"Finasteride, a synthetic 4-azasteroid compound, is a specific inhibitor of steroid Type II 5a-reductase, an intracellular enzyme that converts the androgen testosterone into 5a-dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Finasteride is 4-azaandrost-1-ene-17-carboxamide,N-(1,1-dimethylethyl)-3-oxo-,(5a,17b)-. The empirical formula of finasteride is C23H36N2O2 and its molecular weight is 372.55. Finasteride is a white crystalline powder with a melting point near 250°C. It is freely soluble in chloroform and in lower alcohol solvents but is practically insoluble in water. Finasteride tablets for oral administration are film-coated tablets that contain 1 mg of finasteride and the following inactive ingredients: lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, pregelatinized starch, sodium starch glycolate, docusate sodium, magnesium stearate, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose 2910, hydroxypropyl cellulose, titanium dioxide, talc, yellow ferric oxide, and red ferric oxide."
  • September 13, 2002 6:57 AM BST
    Actually, dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is something you really do want to block. As Irene put it, it's one of those "nasty aggresive hormones" that work against your efforts to feminize. Also, it's the main cause of male pattern baldness, and it is also associated with prostate cancer. The very reason I take Propecia is to block DHT. Actually, it reduces the amount of testosterone converted into DHT, as you already mentioned. If you plan to increase your female hormone levels, the levels of male hormones need to be decreased. You can't have two chefs in one kitchen, unless you want a mess. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/fashionlab/Images/Smileys/Laugh01.gif However, unlike Spironolactone (US FDA approved) and Cyproterone Acetate (not US FDA approved), Finasteride is not a general anti-androgen. I might add Saw Palmetto to my herbal routine next month, but I didn't want to start with too much at once. Also, I've read in a couple of places that Saw Palmetto actually increases testosterone in males (contrary to things I've read elsewhere), so I've got to get to the bottom of that before I consider using it.

Of course, SRS or castration would put that mean old DHT in its place, but there's a bit more commitment involved there than with taking a tablet every day.
  • October 12, 2002 5:42 AM BST
    Thanks so much for that information and the way you laid it out - very professional - even if you are not!!

I noticed that you did not provide a link for the testosterone blockers - any reason?  Lynn
  • December 10, 2002 9:01 AM GMT
    I think to me the main thing about hormones is that they make me feel SO GOOD. The changes they produce in my body seems secondary to that. But it is nice, too

hugs

Laura
  • February 17, 2003 2:55 AM GMT
    Girls,

Follow Lauranatalia, she's very clever and seems to know a lot of the subject. I'm agree with her. Anyway I think that the herbal program it's a lose of time and money. Prescription hormones such 17 Beta Estradiol, are the right ones for breast and hips in a short time.

hugs
    annik
  • December 11, 2001 10:45 PM GMT
    Hi Claire,

I don't know about other girls, but I have experienced a certain diminished need. I'm OK with that and don't find it a problem. There is a certain enhaced mood, a euphoric feeling somehow, as for any other side effects none physical. It's only been a month or so and no changes, beyond people at work telling me I'm much more pleasant. Does that mean I'm normally a NASTY COW??????

Love

Irene
  • February 3, 2002 2:35 AM GMT
    Hi Mae,

I got red clover blossom capsules at a Holland and Barrett health shop. I'll try them for a month or so in conjunction with the cohosh and vitamins I'm taking.

Love

Irene
  • June 7, 2002 8:46 PM BST
    Hi Brandi,

You sound like some of the more potent hormone preperations are not the route for you. Just take small doses at first to check for allergic reactions, I found black cohosh made me nauseous after a night out for example. Gee, I wonder why?
    Read some of the previos posts, take it from me red clover blossoms are my fave:-)

Love

Irene
  • July 11, 2002 10:36 PM BST
    Hi Jolyn,

Sadly this may be down to your own development. Most women have one breast slightly smaller than the other. Just as your feet and hands may have slight differences in size. Most of the girls I've know find that the hormones don't give them the breast size they've always wanted and take the augmentation route after a few years of hormone therapy.
    During the procedure any little size differences can be altered for that balanced appearance.

Love

Irene
  • August 15, 2002 9:41 PM BST
    5 days and you're calm and serene.....
    Nice, but the mood swings will start honey. Sometimes you'll cry for no reason. Sometimes you'll just make others cry!
    As your body makes more male hormones to compenstae for the excess female ones. This is why doctors prescribe an anti-testerone. To modify the build up of the nasty aggresive hormones......
    Let us know...
    • 90 posts
    September 8, 2002 5:59 PM BST
    Hi Melainelee

I have been trying the Black Cohosh for the last few weeks but guessing the dosage.
    Perhaps Stevie could help us.

Herbal Hugs
    Annie
  • October 3, 2002 12:01 AM BST
    O.K., here's my revised list of daily dosages, after adjusting it during the first month. I take half in the morning and half in the evening. With herbals, getting the right combination is more art than science, so you'll always be a little confused. Click on the names of the herbs to see the brands I use.

Herbals (phyto-stuff)

Phytoestrogens
    Black Cohosh Root = 2060 mg (four 515 mg capsules)
    Red Clover = 860 mg (two 430 mg capsules)
    Dong Quai = 50 mg (as part of a multi-vitamin; two 25 mg tablets)

Phytoprogesterones
    Vitex Agnus-Castus = 800 mg (two 400 mg capsules)
    Wild Yam Root = 1000 mg (two 500 mg capsules)
    Suma = 1000 mg (two 500 mg capsules)

Phytoantiandrogens
    N/A

Other
    Vitamin E = 200 I.U. (as part of a multi-vitamin; two 100 I.U. tablets)
    Pregnenolone = 60mg (two 30 mg capsules)
    Black Currant = 100 mg (as part of a multi-vitamin; two 50 mg tablets)
    Royal Jelly = 100 mg (as part of a multi-vitamin; two 50 mg tablets)

Non-herbal Drugs

Antiandrogens
    Finasteride (Propecia) = 1 mg (1 tablet; prescription only)

Notes:

My new multi-vitamin is Especially for Women from the Vitamin Shoppe.

In addition to being considered a phytoprogesterone, Vitex Agnus-Castus is often considered a phytoestrogen and a phytoantiandrogen. It just depends on the source of the information. From what I've read, it probably does fit into more than one category.

Some use Saw Palmetto as a phytoantiandrogen, but it's supposed to do what Finasteride does, so I don't take it. Most trannies who take it for feminization use two daily doses of 160 mg each. However, while taking Saw Palmetto is considered to be generally healthy for most genetic males, there is much debate over whether this herb helps or hinders feminization in genetic males. Then again, the same can be said for most herbals.

I probably wouldn't bother taking Dong Quai, Black Currant, or Royal Jelly if they didn't happen to be in my multi-vitamin, but they are there, so I listed them. Trannies who take them for feminization probably use larger doses than I, but, in my research, I haven't yet found any reason to use them.
  • October 12, 2002 2:40 AM BST
    Here are a few on-line stores. I haven't used them all, but I do recommend The Vitamin Shoppe. Click on the links below.

Vitamin Shoppe

Drugstore.com

GNC (I don't think they actually have an on-line store of their own.)

Green Canyon

Mother Nature

Web Vitamins

Cedarvale Natural Health

Total Health Discount Vitamins

Herb Cupboard

Vitacost

Herbvine

Answers with Herbs

Penn Herb Company, Ltd.