Keeping Wig in Place

• 14 posts
    April 26, 2005 10:23 PM BST

Hi Lucy,
    Try a few 'Kirby grips' (long straight hairclips) pushed thru' the net of the wig into your own hair underneath. You can hide the grips with the wig hair and also get them in a gold or brown colour.
    Carole
    • 1980 posts
    September 30, 2004 9:16 PM BST
    Hi All-

Just curious if anyone uses anything in particular to keep their wig from slipping? I've tried a wig cap, but it doesn't seem to make much difference and after all the jumping around and screaming with JJ my wig is usually way off to the side or something. And it's such a giveaway to be tugging your hair into place, g-girls hardly ever do that.<lol>

When I mentioned it to my wife, she suggested a staple gun. I think she may have been having "one of those days" so I'm just going to ignore her suggestion and hope you girls might have some other ideas for keeping a wig in place during strenuous activity.

Thanks for any responses.

Hugs, Joni
    • 1652 posts
    October 1, 2004 5:48 PM BST
    there should be a couple of straps that you can adjust to make it tighter, have you tried that?
    you really need to start worrying when your wife suggests a 6 inch nail to hold it in place, then she really is having one of those days.
    maybe you could use hairpins to fix it to your own hair, or if you don't have enough hair, maybe double sided tape?
    avoid superglue.
    xx
    • 1980 posts
    October 2, 2004 4:30 AM BST
    Hi Lucy-

You'd have to meet my wife to appreciate her sense of humor. She was just kidding, at least I'm pretty sure she was.<lol>

As far as my own hair, let's just say there's no worries about it getting in the way or slipping out from underneath my wig.<lol> I think I may try a wig cap and double sided tape like you suggested and see how that does. I certainly agree with you about the Crazy Glue.<lol>

Hugs, Joni
  • September 26, 2009 8:31 AM BST
    If you had hair I would suggest bobby pins. Otherwise use double sided tape.
    I suppose getting a perfect fit would help to. That is what I have done.
    Anyhow, they can be adjusted and doing so will make them stay on better but only if you have the correct size for your head. I.E. if you have a large head a small wig will not fit etc.

Another idea that works is to put a VERY thin strip of silicone on to the edges of the wig on the front part. Just like those "stay up" stockings use. So it has to be thin. Any how this will cause the wig to 'stick' to your skin better.

Hope that helps

Stephenie
  • October 17, 2009 3:19 PM BST
    Hi,
    I would suggest a better wig cap - that is the main job of a wig cap, so it really should work!
    Also as someone else mentioned you cold do away with a cap and just use the adjustable straps on the wigs, don't have it too tight though or it will just ping off! (happened to me a lot when i was 1st CD as i wanted to make sure it was tight enough!)
    Other thing is using curby grips, but these can be obvious and also you need enough natural hair underneath for them to grip to.
    Try http://stores.shop.ebay.c[...]nd-Wigs for wigs/wig caps - i find them really good.
    XX
    • 4 posts
    September 24, 2012 1:47 PM BST
    I use stay-ups stockings as wig caps. Just cut off the top 15-20 cm. There usally a silicone strip to hold the stocking against the leg. That silicone strip hold the wig cap in place on the head, and the stucture of the stay-up stop the wig from slipping. Works for me, and a the stay-ups get a "second life"!
    • 28 posts
    December 17, 2012 1:18 PM GMT
    I get my wigs from a company in the UK called Baldness Banished.

LOL. I know, it's a weird name. The wigs are made from remy hair with a swiss lace base. You see scalp and everything and the density is light. One inch poly is put round the perimeter and it's easily secured to the head. Looks so real and it doesn't feel like it's on my head. Light as the proverbial feather!
  • July 24, 2013 7:13 AM BST
    • 12 posts
    September 29, 2013 1:39 AM BST
    The better wigs I've owned all had adjustable straps in the back. They didn't slide or move. A wig cap, two sided tape, and other innovations can keep you style in place.
  • January 3, 2014 6:16 AM GMT

Tips for security wigs: cap construction, right size and elastic band.

short hair wigs