Leg shaving tips

• January 28, 2005 10:26 AM GMT
    Mere,

If you are going to shave your legs then first have a good long soak in the tub as this will soften the hairs (also a good time to shave the face but that's another thing).
    2nd, get yourself a good ladies razor like Venus3 and a quality shave gel/foam/oil as this will help ease the razor over your skin and can help stop nicks and cuts.
    3rd, gel up a small area at a time, say ankle to knee, and carefully shave with the direction of hair growth. Leave the knees until last.
    4th, pat the legs dry and apply some after shave balm or other post shave moisturiser as shaving rips the moisture out of the skin.

That should help you avoid nicks and cuts and helps against razor rash. If you do nick yourself then vaseline works well to stop the bleeding or you can get a styptic pencil from the chemists (stings a bit but stops the bleeding quickly). If yo do get a razor rash then any OTC anti-spots lotion helps clear it up as does regular exfoliating to prevent ingrowing hairs.

Sounds like a lot of effort so I say go with Fiona's suggestion and get the ickle buggers ripped out!! Yes it hurts for a few seconds but is so effective it makes you wonder why anyone shaves. I use one of those Epilator gizmos which does the same thing as waxing without the trip to the salon (hurts a bit but you get used to it).

As for people commenting, sports is always a good one to use. many pro sportsmen wax their legs as it makes the post game massage better, or removal of strapping less painful, and makes application of suncream easier as well (my excuse from mountain biking).

Hope that helps hun

Alex
    xxx
    • 2463 posts
    January 27, 2005 8:07 PM GMT
    Meredith the Psycho Ninja strikes again.......

In light of a lot of recent events, I decided to go ahead and fully shave my legs. Not that I didn't experiment with it before, mind you. But, as many of you know, I have all the grace and skill of an epilectic whore on LSD. I wound up giving myself, shall we say, a few cuts here and there. The bleeding on one still hasn't stopped!

I have a razor, and lotion, for shaving, but am I doing something wrong? What's the best way to shave my legs without needing a blood transfusion?

I swear, I'm going to kill myself one of these days......
    • 61 posts
    January 27, 2005 9:30 PM GMT
    Hi Meredith,

I was like you whatever I did I'd get cuts and sometimes razor burns.

The answer for me was to shave my legs in the shower. I think the heat and steamy atmosphere makes the skin softer and less goose bumpy or something. Anyway it works for me.

Fiona xx
    • 456 posts
    January 27, 2005 10:55 PM GMT
    I use a ladies electric shaver and then get in the shower and use a wet shaver as this gives the smoothest finish. I find being in the shower is easier as Fiona says - something to do with the water lubricating. Dry off and then moisturise. Fantastic.
    • 430 posts
    January 28, 2005 5:54 AM GMT
    Mere sweetie,

I say dont shave your legs. Knowing what your like you'd ebd up having one leg. Go the local beauty salon and get them waxed! It doesnt hurt after the first time so dont give me any of that pain rubbish! It will get easier and easier to wax as well.

The other benifit being that it gets softer and softer and ther is less pain and hair the longer you do it.

Now I know that your not out to the world, so here is what you say if your worried about what they think. Your learning to mountain bike. They wax their legs as an anti gravel rash thing. I used to ride mountain bikes as a kid and noticed they all had waxed or shaved the legs. I wouldnt be worried though as your the only one who knows this isnt true, unless you say something to tell them they will have no idea.
    • 374 posts
    January 28, 2005 11:38 AM GMT
    Hi Meredith,

Looks like you're getting a lot of good advice here...and so you should 'cause there's nothing better than nice smoothe legs with or without nylons

I've never tried fully waxing, but I did try "Neat" a few times and it worked nicely for me. You just have to be careful when you apply it and then take it off with a wash cloth. You also have to wait a bit for the stuff to work into the hairs...and then there's that chemical smell But your legs stay smoothe longer than when you shave

However, I've stuck to shaving with a triple blade razer, some good foam or gel and do it in the shower. Just take your time the first few times and do smaller parts at a time. I usually do one leg up just past the knee then do the other leg the same. Then go back to the first leg and do the rest and the same with the second leg. Then I do my bikini line at the end Believe me it gets easier the more you do it. Just make sure your razor is sharp & clean. I even shave against the grain and I can't remember the last time I knicked myself It also helps if you do it regularly and you don't get too much of those yucky hairs coming back. Hope this helps you hon.

Hugs,

Monika
  • January 28, 2005 11:34 PM GMT
    Hello girls

I have this terrible problem under my thighs 2-3 days after a shave or delapitory cream. I think my hairs start to go ingrown. This causes a couple of very painfull red bumps that hurt like hell when driving or sitting down.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Love Nicky x
  • January 31, 2005 3:14 PM GMT
    Nicky,

There is a forum somewhere with the answer to your problem but I'll be damned if I can remember where it is.

So to prevent you getting lost searching for it.....

What you are suffering from is Barbers Rash and is caused by a local infection of the follicles from the razor blade. What you need to do is make sure your blade is clean (rubbing alcohol does the trick) and your skin is as clean as possible (Baby wipes are good). This removes the grime and bugs that can cause the infection. After you have finished clean the area with your baby wipes again and don't apply anything to the area until the following day.
    Also make sure you exfoliate regularly as this will remove the dead cells and grime from follicles which can cause the ingrown hairs.

This should help prevent those nasty red bumps which I agree can be very painfull.

Alex
    xxxx
    • 2463 posts
    February 1, 2005 1:14 AM GMT
    Thanks for all the tips, girls. As I wrote in a good morning thread, yesterday I was wearing shorts, with my shaved legs very exposed. Not a word. Not a word, no, but some itching still remains! And the cuts are healing just fine. Oh, my, I am my own worst enemy! Mere XXXOOO
  • February 3, 2005 2:23 PM GMT
    Thanks Alex

• 2463 posts
    June 6, 2005 8:27 PM BST
    HI Jenni, and thanks for weighing in. Wow, it was a long time ago I first started this thread!

Still healing in two spots, by the way. The marks are almost gone.
    • 2463 posts
    June 6, 2005 8:49 PM BST
    No need to apologize! Some issues are very vital to our community!

I saw that you are new here, so welcome! Make yourself at home.

Mere
  • June 7, 2005 12:08 AM BST
    Girls,

Try an epilator, e.g. the Braun Silk-epil which I bought about 2 months ago.

I have used this since all over my body - chest, arms, legs, except very delicate areas, and am pleased with the results.

It is a somewhat painful and sore process to start with but if you do a small area of the body each day until you get used to it the results are good. Legs and arms are the easiest. The chest needs more willpower and does get sore. Use a moisturiser afterwards on all parts. Like waxing the hairs regrow softer and finer each time.

The epilator comes with 3 heads - one for normal shaving and trimming hair to the correct length (5mm - but will work with less), one for gentle epilating and one for more serious use.

It also comes with a gel pack that you cool down to relieve any soreness.

For a reasonable outlay, about £50 at Boots, you get a device that works the same way every time, works anywhere (mains not battery), isn't messy, and lasts a long time.
  • June 7, 2005 12:09 AM BST
    Girls,

Try an epilator, e.g. the Braun Silk-epil which I bought about 2 months ago.

I have used this since all over my body - chest, arms, legs, except very delicate areas, and am pleased with the results.

It is a somewhat painful and sore process to start with but if you do a small area of the body each day until you get used to it the results are good. Legs and arms are the easiest. The chest needs more willpower and does get sore. Use a moisturiser afterwards on all parts. Like waxing the hairs regrow softer and finer each time.

The epilator comes with 3 heads - one for normal shaving and trimming hair to the correct length (5mm - but will work with less), one for gentle epilating and one for more serious use.

It also comes with a gel pack that you cool down to relieve any soreness.

For a reasonable outlay, about £50 at Boots, you get a device that works the same way every time, works anywhere (mains not battery), isn't messy, and lasts a long time.
  • June 8, 2005 1:54 PM BST
    Sara,

It's also easier to apply the sun cream when you are out on the bike and stuff like mud and fox droppings are easier to remove without the hair to grip on to it. And being a mountain biker I have to agree cuts and scrapes heal a whole load easier without having hairs caught in the scabs!!!

A few work colleagues who play Rugby also wax their legs so the tape they use to support their knees doesn't hurt so much when they rip it off after a match and so the after match rub down is easier. And we thought they were all roughie toughies!!

We really shouldn't need to have an excuse for my we decide to defur, after all it is our body and our life but an active sports life is as good as any.

Alex
    xxxx
    (currently picking a huge scab on her thigh!)
    • 2463 posts
    June 8, 2005 2:07 PM BST
    A scab! YUCK!

Actually, Alex, the marks I put on my legs that provoked the original message in this thread are finally starting to fade. I wonder if they ever will completely.....

I might BBQ today. How I'd love to do it in a mini!
  • June 8, 2005 2:57 PM BST
    Meredith,

You should try using some vitamin E cream or moisturiser on them as it helps fade and soften scar tissue, another tip learnt after the perils of mountain biking - you can hardly see the one on my bum now!!!

Alex
    xxxx
    • 2463 posts
    June 8, 2005 6:34 PM BST
    Oooooh, Alex, does that mean you're going to show us the one on your bum?

Thanks for the tip!
  • June 16, 2005 2:40 AM BST
    Meredith (and all),

I've been completely shaved for many years and the best results I've had are from a men's (yuck ) razor. Use a cordless, wet/dry triple-head rotary (Norelco makes one) in the shower with a bit of shaving gel after you are done with everything else. DO NOT use on bikini area, underarms, or private parts. Ouch!!! Save those tender areas for a multi-blade, adjustable, disposable razor. And dispose of it quickly. It's not the same shave after a week's use.

Use some triple antibiotic ("Neosporin") around the bikini line to keep from getting inflamed/irritated/red follicles.

I shave my body completely (well, almost), every day. It takes about 10 minutes, and I've had no problems using this method the last few years.

Hope this is of some help to you or someone else.

Sincerely,

Kari
    • 2463 posts
    June 16, 2005 4:10 AM BST
    Ladies, I must once again thank you all...

Christie H, I am with you on this part - I need to be much slower. I'm not known as the Psycho Ninja for nothing.

Once again, the t-girls are to the rescue!
  • August 20, 2005 11:11 AM BST
    If you do decide to continue using the razor as opposed to waxing i have a few small tips that help me.

Firstly set aside enough time to do the job properly
    I normally sit an a hot but shallow bath after thoroughly soaking the legs. This opens the pores i think.

For a full growth i would use about 4 new disposable razors, disposing of them after use.

The best tip i have is to keep the shower head in one hand above the shaving hand. The fast running water washes away all the matted hair but most importantly it stops the razor becoming too clogged. This and slipping is where cuts occur.

You still need to clean the razor at regular intervals though.
    I use men's razors because i find they cut my male thick hair better. Also the disposables i use have 2 blades and a moisturising strip.

It's a long painstaking job for a new growth but if you do it once or twice a week it should take no more than 10 minutes to do the whole thing.

Good luck. I love my legs and on the odd occasion that my hand brushes them whilst i'm sitting it realy makes me feel feminine.

Bunny
  • August 25, 2005 2:14 AM BST
    To all of you darling girls-

I have tried everything. The best technique is to use a "shaver" which gently removes the hair from all parts of your body. If you go to the site www.drugstore.com, you cam buy the "Emjoi hair remover for about $55. This is a device which rapidly and cleanly removes hair from all over your body. There is minimal pain, but the results are worth any irritation. I use it all over my bodywith the results that I have very smooth skin that is soft and sexy. This treatment requires about 30 minutes and lasts about a month. As time goes on the density of hairs decreases and they become thinner and softer. I have used it for about 5 years and I now have almost no hairs on my chest.

I do not sell or have a financial interest in this product. My skin is so soft anf lovely that i can hardly stand it. Dream on.

Jacqueline
  • September 13, 2005 11:32 PM BST
    what I use when I shave my legs is a womens shave gell in the shower and a ladies razor and I shave in the shower. I have found this the best way because the water helps lubercate and helps the gel stay put insted of desolving away when you dry shave (shave outside the shower) try this and let me know how it works out for ya