Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » TG Books » Book recommendation

Book recommendation

Tags : None
  • Okay, maybe it's a bit premature since I haven't finished it completely, but I'm far enough through it to bring this up:

There is a book called "True Selves: Understanding Transsexualism," by Mildred L. Brown (and one other person whose name I forgot!). It's a pretty good work about the TS process - emotionally, psychologically, physically - and is especially geared towards friends, families and associates of those who are TS. Those who are TS will benefit a lot from this work as well even some of it is obvious to us.

The authors raise many good points, such as why it takes so long to obtain SRS - something that was a recent thread here. It is not a difficult book to read and is very balanced between FTMs and MTFs.

I still plug Helen Boyd's book "My Husband Betty" because of its point of view. This one takes a different approach because the authors are not personally involved with a TG person, as Helen is. Dr. Brown is a qualified therapist with considerable experience. She is not trying to force acceptance upon those who will always be hostile. She is merely trying to help people understand what we go through.
    You can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant.
      January 24, 2006 3:33 PM GMT
  • Thanks Mere, sounds like one for my library.

I wonder why there seems to be so much less viewing of posts like this than other kinds of posts on TW. I have posted references on TG issues and articles on HIV+ testing and noted few people look at them or similar ones others post.

Anyone got an idea why? I know most of us have gone through hell trying to understand ourselves. Why don't we, as a group, want to read/view serious works on transgenderism? I know I used to comb libraries years ago for any professional reference to transvestitism/crossdressing. (most of it was useless and/or wrong).
    "A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      January 24, 2006 5:12 PM GMT
  • it may just be something to do with the fact there may be many people out there who have already worked out what they need to know or there may just be a lot of people out there pretending and when it comes to real issues they stear clear as they know that they dont really have an interest or clue.

Just a thought.

Personally I only own one book on the subject. "She's not there " by Jenny Boylan. Its a really good read and its done as a biography [my fav style of book]. I'd just rather read other things, but as I wrote above I have gotten to a place of understanding with myself.
    To love what one has is to be resigned to never get what one wants. Natalie Clifford Barney.
      January 25, 2006 6:24 AM GMT
  • Thanks for the tip, Fiona.

I am just about done with the book. I really do recommend it very highly. Again, a lot of this is blatantly obvious to us. Still, it is worth a look, especially for those who have questions about hormones and SRS that might not have been addressed here.
      January 25, 2006 3:11 PM GMT
  • Mere,

I, too, read the Helen Boyd book. I wish my wife was as understanding.

I will have to read the other one as well, it sounds interesting.

Take Care, Hon!

Kari
      January 25, 2006 4:19 PM GMT
  • LOOK OUT, HERE I GO AGAIN......

Last year I came to know Helen Boyd and even interviewed her for the Tranny Tribune last spring. Go back and check it out.

Also, if you purchase Helen's book directly from her she'll autograph it for you. She's a very nice person.
      January 25, 2006 6:35 PM GMT