browser probs

• 2068 posts
    May 4, 2007 10:19 PM BST
    I' ve recently been havin probs with my yahoo email & i dont know why. A few months ago, i switiched over to yahoo mail beta( the latest version) & had been getting on with it very well......until NOW. Now when i log into yahoo i get the message that " yahoo does not support this browser", & its got me completely stumped. By the way, aol is my browser & its not given me any probs til now

Anyone got any ideas as to why i'm havin these probs?

Lol xxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    • 1652 posts
    May 5, 2007 1:45 AM BST
    Yahoo’s latest update is a nightmare, full of bugs, everyone I know has had problems with it (why do they inflict these things upon us?)
    I used my computer’s “restore to an earlier date” function thingy to revert back to the previous version of Yahoo I had installed, problem sorted. It had been ok for a few days then completely f*cked up, wouldn't let me into email, or IM, nothing.
    It infuriates me that there is obviously a big problem with Yahoo’s latest update yet they still encourage people to install it. Grrr…
    xx
    • 2573 posts
    May 5, 2007 7:18 AM BST
    I have discovered that most "updates" and "improvements" to things like AIM and YIM, etc are for abilities I will not ever use....yet they crate problems. I have stopped updating programs that work well unless I have a good reason. Sometimes you can't communicate well between versions. My "secondary" computer has old versions of programs on it and they work much better than the new ones. For one thing they load in a lot faster and use less resources. I now keep auto-updates turned off....even M$, which keeps trying to shove IE7 down my throat, despite the fact that I have set it on the "remove" list and told them not to remind me of it....they still do.
    • 338 posts
    May 5, 2007 8:59 PM BST
    easy way to avoid 'updates' causing problems is to set them maunally, and not install them until they have been out for a few weeks. and then only if you know they won't cause a problem.

most updates these days are not to improve things generally (though they may fix a few bugs) normally these days such 'updates' are to remove the ability of know pirate copies to function, and cure problems with DRM work arounds (I'e. kill the work around).

typically unless you know what an update will do, and its something you want don't bother.

As for yahoo email...

I gave up on it when i was with BT for my internet, when i managed to get online finally i found several hundred spam emails waiting for me, but of course yahoo and BT deny selling the email address... despite no one else knowing it apart from them. given the naff spam filter they had yahoo email became unusable.

such is life.

all this crap with automatic updates mucking things up is a big part of why i left windows, least apple test things (or appear to) microsoft is good at testing updates to see if they work with their own stuff, but it tends to screw other peoples stuff up.
    • 100 posts
    May 5, 2007 9:19 PM BST
    As a BT Yahoo user, or should that be sufferer i can only sympathise with fellow hair puller outers. I had to delete the Beta mail system as i was forever stuck in a spiral of being sent updates that wouldn't run, and then being told that the problems were caused by not having installed these updates. Unfortunately i had to lose quite a lot of other stuff to finally clear all the crap, so i was not a happy camper. Spam seems to be a permanent fixture also, as i get about 50+ messages a day. Roll on the end of my contract. And to thing i used to whinge about NTL, oh happy days.

Tinaxxx
    • 2068 posts
    May 5, 2007 10:35 PM BST
    Hi girls
    I THINK what my problem is, is my AOL browser as it'll let me sign in but it will not let me into yahoo mail beta. It sends me back to the original yahoo which is pants!

YET, if i switch to IE 7 i have no problems at all & can easily use beta, although tis a tad slow

Weird eh??

Lol xxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    • 338 posts
    May 5, 2007 11:16 PM BST
    AOL is a version of internet exploiter, which is part of the problem.. it also tends to be an out of ate version which causes more of a problem.

AOL users can have fun and games with some websites for technical reasons (AOL pools your IP addresses, so as far as a sites concerned you keep changing physical location, which can confuse things).

As for spam.. if i can't get to email through a decent POP3/IMAP client I don't touch it (i use thunderbird and apple 'mail) i hate web based email with a passion.

if you can talk to it using IE7, well frankly you have found part of the solution, don't use AOL.. its a bit like going tot eh doctor and saying "it hurts when i do this...", you get the rest of the joke.

use firefox & thunderbird, its safer.
    • 2573 posts
    May 6, 2007 9:10 AM BST
    Well, of course, FF has its problems. Like with flash transparency at the top of every TW page denying access to the banner ads and the google hotlinks. Katei says it just doesnt support it. So If i want to use ritrover i have to use IE6. And M$ sites are FF hostile. Otherwise I use FF and am setting up Thunderbird 2.
    • 338 posts
    May 6, 2007 6:35 PM BST
    there is a firefox add on for windows suffers, it drops IE into a tab, thus you can view some pages with IE, within firefox, its only as safe as IE normally is (or isn't) but its easy.

the flash transparency issue doesn't affect me, mostly due to 'flash block', and 'no script' which removes most of t-webs problems with compatibility.

MS sites, yes are generally IE only, in fact they go out of their way to make it awkward to use firefox, or anything else. not really an issue any more for me, but it used to be a real pain. Work IE was restricted in where it could go, given i was developing stuff i needed MSDN, hence using fire fox.. ever browsed MSDN in FF... not happy.

as an aside with FF and adblock pro the web is faster since the rubbish is never downloaded.

this site only supporting IE was irritating but understandable when i first joined (i was using linux, actually reinstalled windows just to get into the chat room). these days IE is around 80% of the market, and slowly dropping (doubt it will go below 75% for a long time). its getting harder to justify crippling a site for a potential 20% of users, though with a legacy site like t-web the costs of unpicking the MS damage can be too high to be worth the effort.

I would hope that future enhancements are standards friendly though, which will make them play nicely with FF, and safari, so those of us who can't use internet exploiter won't be blocked out.

as for ritrover... nice idea but i still use google...

if you want a killer search engine it needs to be able to block 'spam' sites, (some sort of user capacity to block stuff to teach it, then a bayesian system for newer sites once its up and running) to block out the rubbish (link farms and advert only spamdexing sites). then add the preview feature, once the rubbish is filtered out and only sites with actual content are left the preview becomes a very useful feature. also it doesn't matter how good a search engine is, if it doesn't support firefox it will go nowhere.

not tried thunderbird 2 yet... i prob will at some point.. looking forward to firefox 3... cocoa native on osx (if you don't know what that means, don't worry about it...)
    • 2573 posts
    May 7, 2007 1:22 AM BST
    Katie did say that particular problem was scheduled to be fixed by changing the drop down menus.....at some point.
    • 338 posts
    May 7, 2007 9:05 PM BST
    to be honest i don't seethe menus, and don't really miss them.

it does amaze me however that people use menus in flash, or even javascript. given they can be made to work with some CSS code (cascading style sheet) that works in all browsers (well reasonably modern, basically IE 5 +, netscape 6+, Firefox (all), safari, konqurer, and doesn't use (or require) javascript.

however this site has what so many with flash based navigation lack, we have the links at the foot of the page, usable by anyone (especially the googlebot) and a full site map. which do me well.
    • 2573 posts
    May 8, 2007 8:44 AM BST
    Well, this is not an area where I have any expertise so.....is it possible, Claire, that it has to do with the fact that TW pages are created "on the fly" as they are called for?

How do you get to pages on TW without using the drop down menus, Claire?
    • 338 posts
    May 8, 2007 8:50 PM BST
    nothing at all to do with t-web being 'on the fly', this is the norm for most sites these days (google 'php' and 'cgi' if you are interested - hint your not, trust me on this).

using the site without the menus is easy, at the foot of most pages, just above the site logo there are links to most parts of the site, these work just as well as the menus, and are ideal for FF users, or anyone else who generally has flash blocked, or scripting disabled (since its not required, and tends to be used for 'evil'*

my own site is 'php' driven (which is why i have my own domain, and don't use t-web's member sites anymore, plus it helps not to load up t-webs bandwidth), and works fine.

the problem is t web is built on 'old' templates and technology, written for an old version of internet exploiter, and doesn't play well with newer browsers, its just 'legacy' stuff thats a pain, but not economic to re-write.

as for not knowing about this, i wouldn't worry about it, i'm not too sure how I know all this, just gathered info, like dust i guess.

* i.e. popups, pop unders, intersatials... you know, adverts and other crap you probably don't want.
    • 2573 posts
    May 10, 2007 10:47 AM BST
    that would be the IE Tab extension, right Claire?

Don't forget. You have to sign in for both browser's to set the cookies for each. If you switch from FF to IE while signed in to TW you will not be signed in on the IE tab. Still, a nice little extension. TY, Claire.
    • 338 posts
    May 11, 2007 7:24 PM BST
    thats the one, its meant to be helpful

be warned however it is a copy of IE, with all the security problems that involves, its just a 'nicer' way to run it, i.e. in a tab within firefox.

also this is windows only (not that i'm bothered, i didn't use IE at all if i could help it when i was on windows).

while your playing with firefox check out "flash block", "noscript" and "adblock pro" (with "filterset G")