Rocky Horror remake

• 2463 posts
    August 15, 2008 4:32 AM BST
    I was reading today that they are going to remake "The Rocky Horror Picture Show."

My question: WHY?!?!?!?

Yes, the stage shows pops up from time to time, but that's a different situation. The original film is a classic, despite the low budget campiness. Or is it because of the low budget campiness?

There is no cast announced yet, but it was mentioned they are using the screenplay from the first film.

This is one of the reasons I no longer go to movies; the bankruptcy of ideas. Why must we forced to endure one remake after another?

I am not above improvement or change, but there are some things that are better left alone.
    • 2017 posts
    August 15, 2008 8:08 AM BST
    You can't remake this, it would be dire! It's a classic for a reason, which is why the stage show is so popular.

Why can't the studios stop making awful remakes and get their act together for something new and exciting?

Urrrgh!

Nikki
    • 2463 posts
    August 15, 2008 2:06 PM BST
    The entertainment industry is too afraid to take a chance on anything new, which is why so many artists out there have troubles getting their works produced.

What these industry execs don't realize that at one point in time all these ideas they are remaking were new once themselves! Why not take a chance on something new? Or am I just wasting my breath? Why are some writer/directors/musicians more famous than others? It's because they try new ideas.

Oh, well, back to my self-imposed cultural exile.
    • 32 posts
    August 18, 2008 11:18 PM BST
    Remaking Rocky Horror - what a travesty!

Just goes to show how lacking in ideas Hollywood is currently.
    • 2573 posts
    August 18, 2008 11:26 PM BST
    When they announce they will re-make CASABLANCA I will lead a mob armed with pitchforks and torches on the studio that tries it.
    • 32 posts
    August 18, 2008 11:54 PM BST
    Here's a petition site to try to stop the remake. Sign up if you care http://www.stoptheremake.com/.

I'm just a sweet ...
    Andrea xxx
    • 2463 posts
    August 19, 2008 12:32 AM BST
    Andrea! Thank you so much for that petition!

GIRLS, GO AND SIGN THIS PETITION! STOP MTV FROM DESTROYING ANY LAST REAL CULTURE IN THE WORLD!

Is it me, or has every MTV production made for the big screen bombed?
    • 315 posts
    August 19, 2008 7:47 AM BST

Hi Girls,

How could anyone possibly even contemplate a re-making of Rocky Horror !!
    Yes ............... cheesy, cliched, dated ................. and just about everything else !!! But, in it's own way, an absolute classic !!!

But, now hearing that it's MTV that are planning to do it,well, that just says it all !!

I'd love to hear the comments of the "Rocky's" here in Dublin, who have been attending the midight Friday screening of it for the past 20 odd years, unbroken !
    It's now become a major "thing to do" here ................ at least once!
    Every friday night, at midnight, for over 20 years, this cinema has screened the Rocky Horror, to audiences of an average of 200, many of whom attend EVERY week, of course in full character dress, with all the necessary equipment ............... flour bombs/water pistols etc ......... and take part in one of the iconic nights of the week here in Dublin !!

What they would have to say about this re-make would probably not be printable !!

My father always told me ............. "If it aint broke, don't fix it !", and this sounds like a perfect example of when that adage is SO correct !!!

Hugs,
    Angela. xx.
    • 2627 posts
    August 19, 2008 9:51 AM BST
    Bet there's new music to go with it.
    Used to go see it once a year to people watch. Allways had a great time.
    • 32 posts
    August 19, 2008 10:22 PM BST
    Yes Karen, they have said that there will be new songs - at least R O'B has said that he is having nothing to do with it.

Power to the ban the remake moviement!

Hugs
    Andrea xx
    • 1652 posts
    August 23, 2008 9:40 PM BST
    Am I only the only one who actually disliked the original?
    To me, it couldn’t get any worse.
    Early on in the film you get the line, “I'm Just a Sweet Transvestite, from Transsexual Transylvania”
    I know I’m taking it too seriously but this struck me, even all those years ago, as confusing transvestites with transsexuals. Some of the general public still don’t realise what the difference is. Charlotte Church got it wrong the other week, calling Big Brother winner Nadia (post-op TS) a transvestite. I blame Rocky Horror…
    And of COURSE I’m not saying that one is better than the other, just that it’s important for the public to know the difference.
    Sorry, didn’t mean to get all serious, but I really don’t like the film anyway.
    Don’t mind the time warp though.
    xx

*Lucy jumps to the left, avoiding any possible crossfire…
    • 32 posts
    August 23, 2008 11:19 PM BST
    Hi Lucy,

Before you take that step to the right ... of course we could all be getting confused with vampires as well - lol. The general public is still going to get confused whatever the song says - especially if they rely on Charlotte Church for their information.

I remember the first time I was shown the dance was at a party when one girl standing on the verandah demonstrated the moves to everyone else who were on the lawn. Later on I ended up collapsed in a heap on the floor in a fit of giggles having been dropped whilst trying to be swung between the legs of a guy whilst dancing to a rock and roll number. Great party.

Hugs Andrea xx
    • 404 posts
    August 25, 2008 4:33 PM BST
    Is nothing sacred?????????

Isn't the basic problem that,so far as Hollywood sees things,the great US cinema public is utterly incapable of accepting foreign films and unknown acting personnel uncorrupted by 'star allure/
    hype'? (Monty Python excepted..........)

ciao,
    Lynn H.