Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Transgender Movies » Great movies you haven't seen for awhile

Great movies you haven't seen for awhile

Tags : None
  • Girls, I turn our attention away from those periodic cleansing outbursts we get here to a better topic:

My cable system has On Demand, which means I can order from a wide menu of movies, many of which are free. Last night I saw they just added Stanley Kramer's 1963 classic screwball slapstick comedy "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World."

I had not seen that film in its entirety for at least 20 years! Sure, it was silly slapstick at times, but I forgot how much fun it could be. From what I know this was Kramer's only comedy. To me, his best film will always be "Inherit the Wind."

That got me to thinking: Girls, have you been able to watch any films that you haven't seen in years, and absolutely love to watch?

OR - is there a film you haven't seen for years and would dearly love to watch?

Let's get this going, especially since I hope to sponsor another movie trivia contest in the chatroom soon.

Mere
    You can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant.
      October 4, 2008 7:26 PM BST
  • I will start by answering my own question. I would LOVE to watch "A Night at the Opera," starring the infamous Marx Brothers.
      October 4, 2008 8:03 PM BST

• Hi Mere,

Great idea !!! (a change of subject !!!) .................

Anyway ............
    "is there a film you haven't seen in years, but would love to watch?"

For me, most definitely, but, I've got a big problem !! .................... I don't know the title of it !!! And I can't seem to track it down !!!

OK< we're going back into my dark and distant past here .......... in my 1st year at university (1970) , I saw a short, 15 minute film, by Andy Warhol, which to this day fascinates me ! If only I could find it again !!

It's set at a battle (something like the Alamo), and is SILENT ......................... except for the very last second of the film !!

A young soldier is trapped under some rubble, with his rifle pointing directly at his forehead, about 1 inch away. Over the next few minutes, just by brilliant editing, you can see the thought processes going on in his mind!
    Eventually, you know that he has made up his mind that this is the end, and that he has decided to shoot himself, rather than die a long, lingering death!
    But, both his arms are trapped under the rubble !
    Over the next few minutes, you know that he's trying to work out how to shoot himself, and then he realises that, if he can get his boot off his foot, thats lying next to the gun, he might be able to edge his toe around to the trigger!
    Eventually, he's managed to get the boot off, and his toe is just about able to get to the trigger, you hear the only sound in the film, a click, as the screen goes black !!
    End of film !!!!
    All the thought processes are brilliantly brought out by the camera-work, and the editing!
    Oh, and it took me a little while to work it out ............ the ending!
    Why a click and not a bang ?
    Well, compare the speed of sound to the speed of a bullet.
    The bullet will kill you before the sound of the gun firing will reach you!
    So......... the click ?
    The sound of the trigger mechanism, before the gun fires, will reach you before death !!!

Just a brilliant film !!!
    I'd love to see it again, but since that day, I've never been able to "track it down" !!

So, if any of you know of it ................... PLEASE, PLEASE tell me the title !!!

Hugs,
    Angela. xxx.
    What matter if I stand alone? I wait with joy the coming years; My heart shall reap where it has sown, And garner up it's fruit of tears.
      October 4, 2008 8:12 PM BST
  • I love the movies and could think of many films but right now I have an inkling for any of the 'Road' movies with Bob Hope.

Nikki
    Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      October 4, 2008 8:27 PM BST
  • Angela,
    I have had the opportunity to look up this film of which you speak, but did you try www.imdb.com? It MIGHT have it there, or merely look up Andy Warhol (as if you didn't already figure that out).

I'll check around, just in case.
      October 4, 2008 9:18 PM BST
  • I did manage to watch one on DVD & it makes me cry wiuth laughter every time i see it. The film in question is monty python's "Life of Brian".....best python film ever.

" He's NOT the messiah, just a very naughty boy"

LOL xxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    "When the world gets in my face i say HAVE A NICE DAY"
      October 4, 2008 10:35 PM BST
  • 2 2627
    One I haven't seen in years was called
    "What's So Bad About Feeling Good"
    I think it starred Mary Tyley Moore. I dumb movie realy about a bird that carried a virus that made people infected feel happy. Of course the government couldn't have that so they had to stop it.
    <p>Karen Brad</p>
      October 5, 2008 1:13 AM BST
  • it has to be Local Hero for me...

saw last week they were giving away the DVD with the observer sunday newspaper...

Just a great great film
      October 5, 2008 4:14 PM BST
  • Damn, I just had to put it on again tonight!

Another film I can never get enough of is "Fargo."
      October 6, 2008 1:41 AM BST
    Being from the states, I guess I should be passionate about "Mean Streets" or "Blue Velvet" or "The Last Picture Show", but while I really do love those movies, the first two movies I thought of were British imports. "A Room With A View" and "Absolute Beginners".
    "View" has the wonderfully versitile Daniel Day-Lewis and the first movie I ever saw with beautiful Helena. The story is so beautiful and passionate, I can't get enough of the lush landscape or the lush language. And as for "Absolute Beginners", I still remember seeing a trailer for it on TV (probably the only one they ever ran) and I think the movie was at the theatres for about a week, so I missed it. But when it came out on VHS I definitely saw it and it hooked me more than any movie ever has. I love it, from Sade's smoky jazz, to Ray Davies to David Bowie, I think it's one of the most underrated movie musicals of all time.

Z
    I am the itch, after it was scratched.
      July 21, 2010 7:22 AM BST
  • Welcome back Angela. Hugs
    <p>ooxxoo</p>
      July 21, 2010 7:32 AM BST
  • A movie I really enjoyed but haven't seen for years is " The treasure of the Seirra Madre" starring Humphrey Bogart as a gold prospector driven insane to the point of murder by paranioa induced by "gold fever".

"Badge!
    We don' hev to show you no steenkin! badge!"

Great stuff.
      July 21, 2010 10:14 AM BST
  • Last night I showed "The Big Lebowski" in my Critical and Ethical Thinking class. They loved it.
      July 21, 2010 1:28 PM BST
  • One movie I watched (many years ago) that I will never forget is "Cry, the Beloved Country"
    I was overwhelmed by the emotional acting - like I had never been before!
    Most of the movie - I was in awe with the acting , and when I was not in awe...I was crying my head off!
    The main Actors were James Earl Jones and Richard Harris. I looked for it in the stores for years - before my son got tired of me looking for it - and ordered a copy of it online. He gave it to me for my Birthday present - of course I cried then too!!

"and my needs entwined, like ribbons of light...and I came through the doorway...some where... in the night"

<p>Doanna Highland</p>
      July 21, 2010 5:03 PM BST

• One Film that always makes me laugh is Monty python's " Life of Brian ", however many times i see it.

" He's NOT the messiah, just a very naughty boy"!

Lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    "When the world gets in my face i say HAVE A NICE DAY"
      July 21, 2010 11:34 PM BST
    "Badge!
    We don' hev to show you no steenkin! badge!"

"Uhh, pardon me. Could you help a fellow American down on his luck?"

Z
    I am the itch, after it was scratched.
      September 20, 2010 6:11 PM BST
  • "More food sir"????

"Ahhh...no no no noooooo"

You know the rest! LOL
    <p>Traci</p>
      September 20, 2010 7:54 PM BST
  • Life of Brian is great - but I have seen it recently so doesn't count for me. So I will have to go for Brazil - made by Terry Gilliam of Monty Python fame. A very 1984-esque movie, dark and funny. Not seen it in years and keep meaning to find it on DVD. 

<p>Alice</p> <p>"You can be whoever you are in Shangri-la" - Neil Innes </p>
      May 30, 2011 9:09 AM BST