A Star Wars explanation, please...

• 252 posts
    July 21, 2010 7:29 AM BST
    Just a note...in the first movie, Tarrkin's title is "Grand Moff". I don't know what it is but it sounds impressive, or something you'd mumble when hugging your grandmother.

Z
    • 2463 posts
    October 23, 2008 2:02 PM BST
    Can someone answer this for me? Yes, I realize I am still nursing some hatred towards these movies after we had that damn exhibit at the museum last year, but......

Yesterday at lunch my senior coordinator brought up an interesting point concerning the very first Star Wars movie:

How is is that Darth Vader recognized Obi Wan after all those years (besides feeilng the Force) but failed to recognzie C-3PO, a robot he himself built from scratch?

Another question: What exactly is the power structure of the Empire? It seemed that other people, besides the Emperor, could order Vader around (like Peter Cushing did in the first film). Vader came off as being the Number Two person.

I have no idea why I am asking these questions. Just thought I'd get your take on this.

Mere
    • 2017 posts
    October 24, 2008 8:58 AM BST
    I love the films, and have been a fan since the first one was released so sadly I could give the actual answer but instead I prefer to poke fun at them myself!

1. I think that' with all C2P0's worrying and whining, Vader
    did his damnest to erase any memory of him! You've
    seen one protocol droid, you've seen them all.

2. Peter Cushing did have a bit of a reputation for being
    able to dispatch nasty's in black cloaks. Just ask
    Cristopher Lee.

And here is my question/observation:

Why, when the force is being used, do the Jedi feel the need to make a gesture with their hands, like Vader does when he chokes someone? Surely the force 'surrounds them and binds them', so the gesture actually acheives nothing? Presumabley they could achieve the same result with their arms crossed or in their pockets?

Nikki

• a a
    • 96 posts
    October 24, 2008 1:09 PM BST
    Hi Meredith and Nikki.
    I am also a massive star wars fan,I think I was 10 yrs old when the first movie came out,though I never got to see it on the big screen first time round.I think Darth Vader failed to recognise C-3PO because when he left to train as a jedi in phantom menence he had`nt finished building him.Also in New Hope I think Vader was apprentice to the emperor,so was`nt officially a member of the empire`s management system.These are just my humble opinions so if know`s for sure I would also like to know
    To carry on this theme I always wonder why Chewbacca never get`s any food stuck in his whiskers?
    Hugs and kisses
    michelle xxxxx
    • 2463 posts
    October 24, 2008 2:08 PM BST
    Three more:

How is it that every planet they land on has oxygen?

In "Empire," when Han and Leia (spelling?) were on that asteroid - how is it they walked around with spacesuits? And how did they fly into that creature? Through its butt? When they flew out of the creature they flew forward and out through its mouth

I admit I am at the museum for a second day of at least 14 hours and my mind is not quite working right.

Mere

P.S. Yes, Josie is considering psychological counseling for me.................
  • October 24, 2008 7:39 PM BST
    first) the obvious answer is: why wouldn't they? they'd be bringing into the empire or whatever it's called other planets /species that could interact at some useful level, so it would be simple selection that the vast majority of planets would have oxygen.

why would they bother assimilating inhospitable planets into the empire, or species that they wouldn't interact with on any meaningful level.

Second) Asteroids have a small amount of gravity, but I guess that doesn't really answer that question

Third) didn't they hide in the cave and fly out the same way they flew in?

(may the) Forth be with you:

they're not supposed to be science, they're spposed to be fun (I guess they fail on both counts more often than we'd like to admit
    • 2017 posts
    October 24, 2008 7:55 PM BST
    I think Star Wars is great, I have the films, lots of books etc, I was/am a huge fan.

What about when Darth Vader farts? I mean, he has to sometimes right? Does it echo in his suit like his breathing and fog up his lenses, and does the smell stay in or escape out? If it escapes, who's going to be brave enough to say 'Hey! Was that you?'

Nikki
    • 2017 posts
    October 24, 2008 8:15 PM BST
    I hope this makes you giggle as much as it did me.

http://www.youtube.com/wa[...]EK-IEzw

Nikki
  • October 24, 2008 11:30 PM BST
    Vader wouldn't have recognized C-3PO for 3 primary reasons.

1) C-3PO was a common model of protocol droid. While Anakin might have made him initially, his main identifying features (skin plating) were modified repeatedly, as was Im sure many of his components over the course of his "life".

2) C-3POs memory was wiped following Ep3. His body was constantly being changed but so was his "mind". All recollection of Vader as Anakin was gone. He knew only Vader as Vader.

3) C-3PO as a droid was susceptible to the force, but not OF the force. He had no midi-chlorians (bah!) and was therefore not able to project his own force energy, unlike Obi-Wan.

In the end, Vader would have no reason to think that THIS protocol droid, out of all the millions of similar models spread out across the universe had any connection to him in any way.

As for the Empires power structure, Vader worked directly beneath the Emperor. He was in charge of his own star destroyer but was not in charge of the Imperial Navy.
    • 1195 posts
    October 25, 2008 10:09 PM BST
    Well Mere I hope Jennie has answered all your questions.
    I'm happy too - not that I was losing sleep over it but - you know....hate loose end dangling like that.
    May the Schwartz be with you all
    hugs
    Gracie
  • October 25, 2008 11:12 PM BST
    What can I say?

I got more Star Wars Geek in me than anyone I know. LOL.

Ask me a Star Wars-y question, you'll get an answer! HAHA!
    • 2463 posts
    October 26, 2008 12:24 PM GMT
    I sure do appreciate the responses I received!

Now, can we get back to talking about High School Musical?
    • 1195 posts
    October 26, 2008 7:04 PM GMT
    Mere
    I'm sure you'll rush to see H S musical #3.
    Try not to get hives from all that sugar.
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 1083 posts
    February 5, 2009 6:27 PM GMT
    Hi--

Bridge from Star Trek to Star Wars. It's the same set of answers, really.

The easy answer for why they'd always use Class-M (Oxygen) planets: cost-effectiveness.

Think about it: a breathing device isn't cheap, can give out at a moment's notice (based on the need to advance the plot), and to find intelligent life on a class-J (gas-giant) or class-O (mostly water, little/no land) planet might be tough. (Although you can make the same argument about the life on Earth, I suppose.)

Plus, it saves the fx dept a wad of cash not having to create a new enviro-suit and all the aliens can have two functional legs, as opposed to say, fins.

Just my two quatloos worth....

Peace and Long Life,

Mina Sakura
    (Who looks hot in a Star Trek Original Series women's uniform)
    • 404 posts
    February 5, 2009 6:33 PM GMT
    Nikki- loved the link,now I'll have to go back there and look at the other vids!

er.....may the fart be with you?!

ciao

Lynn H.
  • February 5, 2009 10:04 PM GMT
    Bit of trivia for you...I read that in the Deathstar council chamber scenes, Peter Cushing was mostly wearing carpet slippers out of shot because he found his boots too uncomfortable for long periods of filming

Sandra
    • 2017 posts
    February 6, 2009 3:21 PM GMT
    That's so true! I remember seeing an off set photo of him wearing them in a fan magazine I used to buy.

What? Well, I was only 13 at the time! lol

Lynn - I looked at that link again, it makes me laugh every time!

Nikki
    • 1195 posts
    February 6, 2009 3:27 PM GMT
    Mere
    Reading over this thread - I think your original questions have not been answered. (Odd-isn't it?)
    I'd say you're best answer is that it's "artistic licence" or maybe the editors cut out the explainations.
    Did you know that George Lucas wanted to do a Flash Gorden movie but couldn't get the rights so he wrote Star Wars?
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 2463 posts
    February 6, 2009 9:38 PM GMT
    People did answer the question! Thanks!

Yes, I was aware of Lucas not able to make a Flash Gordon movie and Star Wars was the result. He also admitted that the inspiration for Star Wars came from Kurosawa's "Hidden Fortress."

I showed some of the old Flash Gordon serials the other day and people did note the similarities between the space ship fights.
    • 3 posts
    April 13, 2009 1:59 AM BST
    The best, still unanswered by all of my super-obsessed Star Wars fans, question I have ever seen about Star Wars is: Why does Han Solo claim to not believe in the Force when he surely would have been alive (and probably about ten) when the Jedi fell. He clearly would have known all about the Jedi, but it's never explained why he doubts the existence of the Force.
  • April 17, 2009 12:41 PM BST
    Ive got a smashing response to why Han didnt believe in the force, but I tried to post it and was told the post had "unacceptable content" though it didnt tell me what that content may be and for the life of me I cant figure it out to try and edit it.
    • 2463 posts
    April 17, 2009 4:05 PM BST
    Please.............the Star Wars exhibit left the museum 16 months ago and I am still trying to recover. Now I have to worry about that damn Harry Potter exhibit that opens in less than two weeks....................

I think I will need therapy to get me through this...............
    • 1195 posts
    April 17, 2009 8:22 PM BST
    Mere
    All I have to say is "May the Swartz be with you." Harry?

hugs
    Gracie
    • 2573 posts
    April 18, 2009 3:31 AM BST
    I know some of these have been answered pretty closely but I did this reading the posts one at a time so....here is my take.

1. C3PO did not have an outer shell when Annikan left him. They comment on this as they part. Also, it's kind of like saying why didn't Darth Vader recognize his Volkswagon. Mass Production. He was built from parts. I THINK we see one or two other droids of that model in other movies of the series.

2. Grand Moff Tarkin was the Governor of the Imperial Outland Regions, while Darth Vader was the personal assistant to the Emperor. Like a Staff Officer, Vader was out of direct line of command. Grand Moff (the only one) Tarkin had some authority even over Vader. He was the heir apparent to Emperor Palpitine and potentially Vader's future, sole boss (unless Vader's plans to use Luke to overthrow Palpatine succeeded first.)

3 Ask, Yoda, even he uses a hand gesture to lift Luke's ship from the swamp on Dagobah. This is not unusual as a mental focus technique in martial arts/Zen. I seem to recall seeing similar gestures, related to Force use, throughout the series. Also, think of the damage one could conceivably do to oneself by attempting the throat squeeze with one's hand in one's pocket.

4. Space suits make it hard to recognize the actors. This and cost were undoubtably why STARSHIP TROOPERS were not wearing Marauder, Scout and Command suits in the movie. Hallways are wide on the Enterprise because they had to be to get the camera dollies up and down them.

I saw Star Wars at the studio theater, before it was released, as Press. The sound system was mind blowing and state of the art. That was my "Lois Lane" period. Also, there is a saying: Lie down with scriptwriters, wake up with tickets"

• July 21, 2010 10:17 AM BST
    Yes and how come nobody whatever planet they come from has ever gone to the toilet?
    • 2463 posts
    July 21, 2010 1:25 PM BST
    I started this thread in 2008 and it's still going strong!
    • 434 posts
    July 21, 2010 4:47 PM BST
    Hey "Big Boy",
    Is that a Light Saber in Your Pocket? ...or are you just "Happy to See ME?"

"and my needs entwined, like ribbons of light...and I came through the doorway...some where... in the night"
    • 1017 posts
    July 21, 2010 5:05 PM BST
    Hi Doanna,

"Great, kid. Don't get c*cky."

Best,
    Melody
  • July 21, 2010 6:43 PM BST
    "Goodness had nothing to do with it"
    • 252 posts
    September 22, 2010 4:49 PM BST
    "Will someone get this walking carpet out of my way?"
  • March 5, 2012 1:53 AM GMT
    Well, I'm a year too late, but I can answer! I'm a sci-fi fan... ^w^

1) C3-PO. It's been answered, but my two bits would be that C3-PO was just a skeleton model. Time and mass production would've ruined his uniqueness to Anakin.
    2)"Moff" is a title within The Empire that is synonymous with "Govenor." A Grand Moff would kinda be like a Govenor compared to Mayors, if The Empire was a democracy...
    3) As for hand gestures, The Force is a power that flows through almost all things in all places. Just like you use your brain to pull tendons and flex muscles in your arm to move it, Force-Users can extend their will to the Force. Hand-gestures are a way of allowing someone to cope with the massive power of telekinesis and mind-reading... It's like people who talk while using hand gestures.
    4) Wendy got things dead on the money there. But- Another perspective would be that only worlds that could be inhabited by humans would be colonized.
    5) As for Han not believing in the Force, as a Non-Sensitive, he can't feel it himself. For all he knows, Jedi could be psychics spouting borderline religious non-sense about some great power that exists in all things.
    6) Yeah. I'm a nerd. I even play The Old Republic Online and beat all the KOTOR games. :3
    ~K