Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » General Forum » The Tao of Transgenderism

The Tao of Transgenderism

Tags : None
  • The Tao of Transgenderism

As a college teacher, I often do a course called Critical Thinking. I enjoy the exchanges that take place in the classroom, reading student views on controversial topics, and learning how other people view the world. I do love studying schools of thought and how they have influenced the world. From Descartes to Hegel to Marx, and so many others, critical thinking helps us to develop into more open-minded individuals.

Over the past few months the Tranny Tribune has published some pieces, written by myself and others, in hopes of starting various dialogs within our community. This month is no exception. I want us to put back on our philosopher caps.
    We have had many discussions in the Forums, blogs and chatroom over what it means to be transgendered. While we all agree (well, most of us), that this is how we were born, there are many aspects to being TG that often meets with debate. We have been down this road before – is a TS more transgendered that a CD, is a post-op TS more sincere than those who choose not to have surgery, etc.?

But we often don’t recognize that we can establish our own little philosophy, our own way of thinking and approaching the world in which we live. What can make this fun, along with the other dialogs we have started, is seeing how many different ways we can take our burgeoning school of thought. So, in keeping with certain terms that are very familiar, shall we call this “The Tao of Transgenderism?”

Reaching back to ancient Chinese history, the Tao (pronounced DOW) signifies something that cannot be seen, felt or tasted, yet exists everywhere. The goal was to become one with the Tao. This is quite similar to Hinduism and Buddhism whereby adherents try to reach a purer state of being. So as we begin to take baby steps in discovering the Tao, here are some ideas to consider:
    Acceptance. This does not mean acceptance from mainstream society. While society may become more lenient towards the TG community in the future, full-hearted acceptance is just a dream. Acceptance here means something different from what outsiders think. Here I am saying that those of us who are TG accept how/who we are, and that we have inner peace in embracing our true selves.

Respect. While having respect for all living beings is something that is stressed in both the religious and secular worlds, we must also find a means to respect those who approach their transgenderism in a way separate from ourselves. While a post-op TS might view the man who sneakily wears panty hose under his jeans at work as not being TG, each of us has the right to do as we see fit. Providing, of course, our personal lifestyles do not deliberately hurt another. I may not identify with the above-mentioned lover of panty hose, but that does not mean I have the right to tell him he is wrong.

Courage. We have addressed this many times on TW. This is not the same as Acceptance, as addressed above. Rather, this is the spiritual courage we need, no matter how frightened we might be to disclose our true selves to others. Courage here is our inner courage in order to not feel guilty. We’ve all heard friends, family, etc., make disparaging comments about transgendered persons, and had to stifle a response for fear of being found out. In some cases the person then felt guilty for either being TG, not being fully out, or even both. From spiritual courage will come Acceptance.

Faith. In a way similar to Courage, Faith is having that all-important knowledge that we are choosing the right path in not turning away from who we truly are.

Honesty. How can we be honest with others until we are honest with ourselves? More importantly, when is it time to come out to those in our lives who are unaware of our true selves? This is a question that has been dealt with in much greater detail in the past (see the article “Coming Out – The Opening of a Dialog” in the Tranny Tribune archives). While circumstances may dictate when honesty is the best policy, we must be aware of when to embrace this all-important ideal.

The Tao of Transgenderism? Do these five terms in fact start us off in the right direction of establishing our own Tao? What is missing? What can be eliminated? Are we all going off to the forest to live in a cave and perfect our philosophy? Or are we making our way to the local resale shop as they are have a 50% off sale?

The Tao of Transgenderism. Think about it. We could take this quite a long way if we give it a try. Put on your philosopher’s cap, light the candles in the study, sip some dry red wine, and ponder the Tao of Transgenderism.
    You can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant.
      September 18, 2009 1:38 PM BST
  • What a great article Mere.

I think you have addressed the issue very well and really can't add anything worthwhile to it that you haven't already covered. I would perhaps add 'Belief' in between 'courage' and 'faith'. although sharing similar traits, I see it as having a belief in yourself that you can do this. Courage will help, so will having faith that you know this is the right path, and belief in your chosen path will keep you working towards acheiving it.

Nikki
    Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      September 18, 2009 3:29 PM BST
  • HI Mere,

I would add Relationship for consideration -

Each of us humans, regardless of gender, have a deep need to be part of a community and relate to others. Wether it be simply a companion or friend, a soulmate or a larger circle of friends, our belonging to something larger than ourselves seems to be built-in to each of us. That leverages all of the attributes that Mere indicated earlier. This seems to be the toughest of the areas for many of us in our daily lives. (BTW: TW is a godsend in this regard).

MichelleLynn
      September 18, 2009 5:21 PM BST
    Mere
    Nice post- you must be a fine prof.
    Having had courses in Metacognition and even Logic - Tao sounds ok
    hugs
    Gracie
    <p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      September 18, 2009 6:35 PM BST
  • This is what I want from all of you - your input! This is another one of my postings to get us talking about some important and key issues. Tell me what else you think should be in here.
      September 19, 2009 4:13 PM BST
  • Well done, Mere. I'll be back after some meditation on the subject.
    "A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      September 20, 2009 10:48 AM BST
  • Mere--

What of Intention? What is the heart and mind of TG/TS? Is the intention to be wholly other, or simply to become whole? Is there a purity, a sense of cleansing that comes from the transformation, or must there be an element of sexuality, of sensualness? In fact, is there even a form of kegare and kiyome? How do we define this intention? Is it to deceive others, or to be true to self? Or both?

This is sort of like asking "what is the essence of womanhood, of that indescribable quality of femininity?" And they are questions I have asked myself for years, and written much about.

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina
    Living as the woman I am!
      September 22, 2009 7:21 PM BST
  • Minako,
    This is what I want - input. We can definitely add Intention to the list. Do you want your posting quoted word for word as is, or shall we refine it further?
      September 22, 2009 11:13 PM BST
  • Mere--

I thought this whole topic is open to redaction and flux. After all, is that not a part of Tao? Please feel free to edit and add to it!

Mina
      September 23, 2009 12:19 AM BST
  • Mere,

I'm going to break the American stranglehold on this post - if that's OK :)
    As an aside, I wonder whether the greater diversity within parts the US enables a more reflective and open consciousness? Philosophical thoughts and contemplative reflection in the UK are often restricted to topics such as the weather, the weather and the weather..

It's the morning here, so red wine and candles aren't entirely appropriate. I'll ponder on this awhile and add something later. Nice sunny day though..
    a girl at heart and a proper person too
      September 23, 2009 10:08 AM BST
  • Is "Integrity" too broad a term to throw out there? Is it comprised of Courage and Faith and other areas? Or, can it be taken by itself?

By "Integrity," I mean being true to one's one self and and belief system. Do we compromise our own integrity by not living fully "out?" Or, are we holding to our integrity by not causing hurt to others by coming out? It's all very complicated.

I don't have an answer, either. I am a Buddhist via Taoist philosophy (seriously), and I wrestle with this question often. I prize integrity highly, and I try to maintain it in all that I do. Except with my transgendered identity. I have rarely been open and honest in that regard. So, has my Integrity been fully compromised as a result?
    -Jessi-
      September 23, 2009 5:05 PM BST
  • Jenette--

While not strictly a Taoist thought, consider this: "First, do no harm." This is not only to others, but to self. This supersedes almost anything else, except to love one another.

Could you reveal your true self without causing harm to you or others? Perhaps not.

Your integrity as a whole seems intact. Only you can answer the question in terms of how you share that--or not--with others.

Consider this: By not sharing all that you are, you are depriving others of the benefit of your knowledge of both male and female views...but you are upholding your integrity by not allowing harm to others by the sharing of that information. Even the Enlightened One could not share all he was, but allowed others to discover the truth.

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina
      September 23, 2009 5:26 PM BST
  • As part of yoga philosophy, there are moral teachings called yamas and niyamas. The Yamas are things one should restrain from doing, and the niyamas are things that one is encouraged to do. The first yama is called ahimsa, which means non-harming. The second is satya, which is truthfulness. As you probably can already recognize, these are both of great importance to everyone but have a strong meaning for those of us who are transgendered. We stop harming ourselves when we accept the truth of our transgendered nature. A niyama that I find of particular importance to me as a transgendered person is svadhyaya which is self-study. We have to take a deep look inside to find this inner truth.

I meditate upon these particular three constantly. As a focus while doing yoga, it brings about a sense of peace and joy.
      September 26, 2009 5:10 AM BST
    I'd like to add patience to your list, if possible. I think patience is something we all can use - not only patience with ourselves, such as in a saying I try to remember "put brain in gear before putting mouth in motion."
    We should have patience when dealing with other people - listening becomes a virtue.
    Gracie
    <p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      September 28, 2009 3:43 PM BST
  • These are all great thoughts. Thanks for contributing.

I wish I could add more right now but the Tao of Library Computers is about to cut me off.
      September 28, 2009 4:10 PM BST
  • Mere, everyone has some very good thoughts. Very positive, but in our secretive world in some cases, there is the emotion of fear.
    How many times have we tried to convince others of the real world out there and to use all those positive things to venture out. It's like the philosophy of Plato's Cave. Some still, want to remain shadows on the wall.....Tammy
    <p>A life without purpose, is a life without reason!</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;myspace.com/tammybrianne</p>
      September 29, 2009 6:31 AM BST
  • HI Meredith, I love this article for several reasons. Interesting title, since I am discussing the Tao in my ministry services in Secondlife.com. We meet every sunday night at 6pm pacific time/SLT. The Tao which means "the way" is a great name for Transgenderism since it is a "way of life". Like our lives the Tao is hard to conceptualize, and I feel that the rise in Transgenderism of recent is related to the Transition the entire world is going through. We are shifting from a Masculine world to a more balanced world. Feminine energy is surging to bring us back to where we belong, like waves in a bathtub! I write extensively on these subjects and also on Christ as part of our journey. My website is SequoiaBlessed.info. The transgender journey is different for each of us, but then so is life for every person on earth. I will continue to follow my path with acceptance, courage, and Love. To me the journey is about LOVE in all its forms and non-forms. Blessings to each of you! Sequoia Elisabeth :)http://sequoiablessed.info
      October 18, 2009 6:52 PM BST
  • Great analogy Tammy to Plato's cave which was used in "the Matrix" movie. My favorite movie for this very reason. What is real? LOL;)
      October 18, 2009 6:59 PM BST
  • Interesting movie, The Matrix, Sequoia. What is real, a very provocative thought............You must have seen the movie.."What the Bleep"
    Now that also makes one think about what is real.........Tammy
    <p>A life without purpose, is a life without reason!</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;myspace.com/tammybrianne</p>
      October 21, 2009 4:58 AM BST
  • Milia, TG shamanism is an ancient cultural fact. It was common among Native American peoples. Even today, a "two-spirit" person plays an important role in the annual Sun Dance for plains tribes.
    "A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      October 27, 2009 3:08 PM GMT

• Hi Meredith,

Great article... it's ironic that one might study the Tao in a class called critical thinking... I've recently become interested in hypnotherapy, and self hypnosis, which is really powerful as you probably know, and has had some great applications in assisting me to exude a really feminine presence...

The funny thing is, the relationship with the subconscious and conscious minds... it seems to me that the subconscious mind, which some might say is connected to the divine principle, and source of inspiration and higher guidance, intuition etc is really the key to connecting with the way of the Tao, whilst the critical or conscious mind is ironically the one thing that breaks our connection with the Tao, as it cannot grasp the truly formless being of the Tao...

Om... ;)

October 28, 2009 3:29 PM GMT
  • This indeed could be turning into a classic thread, within the realm of spiritual, metaphysical and scientific teachings. In which comes back to a point, who are we, where do we fit in the scheme of things. I believe in many of the metaphysical, and cultural beliefs, in relationship with the subconscious and conscious minds. Quantum Physics,( a little off topic, but not really) also deals with what is real and the film "What The Bleep" how do we view ourselves, as the ultimate observer. http://www.whatthebleep.com/ This film deals with, quote "Exploring the worlds of Quantum Physics, Neurology, and Molecular Biology in relation to the spheres of Spirituality, Metaphysics". This is a thought provoking film, see through some very world-renowned minds. This film helped me look at the world, and myself, through a very different shade of glasses.
    Tammy
    THE SCIENTISTS
    PHYSICISTS
    William Tiller, Ph.D.
    Amit Goswami, Ph.D.
    John Hagelin, Ph.D.
    Fred Alan Wolf, Ph.D.
    Dr. David Albert

NEUROLOGISTS, ANESTHESIOLOGISTS & PHYSICIANS

Dr. Masaru Emoto
    Stuart Hameroff M.D.
    Dr. Jeffrey Satinover
    Andrew B. Newberg, M.D.
    Dr. Daniel Monti
    Dr. Joseph Dispenza

MOLECULAR BIOLOGY

Dr. Candace Pert

SPIRITUAL TEACHERS, MYSTICS AND SCHOLARS

Ramtha
    Miceal Ledwith, Ph.D.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Check out their credentials below>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.whatthebleep.c[...]ntists/
      October 29, 2009 4:37 AM GMT
  • I truly appreciate all the comments and feedback in this thread. I am collecting your thoughts to create a new, updated version of our Tao. With all proper credit given, of course!

I could have continued to contribute to this thread but instead chose to hang back and listen to your ideas.

Mere
      October 30, 2009 3:38 PM GMT
  • What a wonderful thread! And thanks to Meredith for starting it off. One thing I love about transwomen is that, generally, no matter where we are on the gender continuum, we tend to be intelligent and thoughtful. I would suggest another to the list, one that has taken four decades of me bashing my head against the wall of the world to realize, "Ow! That hurts! Why am I doing this?"

Humility. Realizing that none of us are greater or lesser than the other, that we are all on our own path, have something to contribute, have something to learn and be learned from. I don't know if anybody remembers the book "The Tao of Pooh" that was popular a couple decades ago (the concepts of Taoism explained via A.A. Milne's story "Winnie the Pooh") but there was also a companion book, "The Te of Piglet" that stresses the Taoist concept of 'Virtue — of the small'.

BTW, I'd love to throw in my kudos for both "The Matrix" (my favorite film of all time because of the deep philosophical message) and "What the Bleep Do We Know," a film I saw several years ago at nine years of sobriety when I was considering suicide. That movie snapped me out of it. I even created a youtube video in tribute to the movie and how it helped me, with excerpts from the part that really helped he. Would it be okay to post a link to it?

*** UPDATED ***

I've been seeing lots of other girls post links and seeing how there's nothing objectionable in this 7:42 video, I hope that someone else can also get something out of it!
    http://www.youtube.com/wa[...]PxkT7ig
    Visit me at www.glamazon.net
      October 30, 2009 4:48 PM GMT
  • Meredith,
    After reading all the posts again, should we consider adding objectivity. There are many facets to an objective point of view, which are relative to the position in life a person is experiencing. Objectivity could be a whole thread in itself.
    Frege, stated, quote"We are not owners of thoughts, as we are owners of our ideas"

Can we be projective beyond ourselves, crossing the line between the observer and the observed?
    Can we replace the individual will, with an unclouded mirror of the world?
    As I have learned from being in a twelve step program, the inventory steps of self reflection and correction of character defects was mandatory for a quality life! The realization that our life is a train of moods, and as we pass through them, we look at the world through many colored lenses, some concave or some convex, depending on our temperament.
    And all our experiences are meant to finish the moment and find the journey's end in every step, and try to enjoy what I find, without question. Is the main lesson of wisdom is to know my own from another's?
    Something that I hold close to my heart, is the serenity prayer that we use in the twelve step program,
    Quote..... " God grant me the serenity
    To accept the things I cannot change;
    Courage to change the things I can;
    And wisdom to know the difference. "
    I hope I did not ramble on to much, but these are some things that I have learned and some things that are work in progress.................Tammy
      November 3, 2009 5:39 AM GMT