Best age to come out?

• 15 posts
    June 29, 2004 8:32 AM BST
    I am 18 years old closet CD, I don't think my parents know I crossdress, although when I was little (11 years old?), my mom caught me stealing pantyhose, another time my sister caught me in pantyhose...

I was thinking when I have my own place/make enough money (hopefully before I turn 20) I'd tell them, incase they kicked me out of the house, if they do, I can start live full time, shave my legs, do feminine stuff in my own space, etc.

I don't know though, because I don't have a job since I just graduated high school..

any opinion would be helpful. thanks
    • 1198 posts
    June 29, 2004 8:58 AM BST
    Hi Ashley
    i don't suppose there is any good time to come out, i'm 35 and have been out to my family for about 2months. They say the average age for Tgirls to come out i think is between 35-47yo. I dont know if this is fact so don't take my word for it, but in answer to your question "how long is a piece of string". But if you do come out to your folks think of the affect on them and think of the affect on you. Take care love JJ xx
  • June 29, 2004 9:36 AM BST
    Yes...

There is certainly a clear difference if you are a CD or a TS. As a transitioning TS you´ll fly out of the closet with no choice, sooner or later. As a CD you can choose, if and when and to whom to come out.

Laura
    • 15 posts
    June 29, 2004 10:48 AM BST
    I want to become a pre-op TS (that is if I have money for surgery)
  • June 29, 2004 11:48 AM BST
    I didn´t get any more love after coming out to my relatives. My mother mourned for some time that she is losing her son, my wife tried to get me in the nuts house. Only my kids reacted naturally. My son said "Thank God it is nothing worse" and my daughter said "Dad, it is not your fault".

Laura
    • 1198 posts
    July 1, 2004 1:30 PM BST
    Shan
    i got a great response from my mum and a little respect i suppose, for doing what i wanted to do. My dad will be the one but all my mate's know now and they are fine with it, very supportive infact Love JJ xx
    • 1198 posts
    July 2, 2004 9:28 PM BST
    Hi shan
    the only person that was really taken aback by my coming out was my best mate.
    I suppose it was and still is hard for him to understand, its because we were always there to back each other up in fight'a and always out drinking together, shit we even shared a house together (his words not mine).
    So yeah i can appriciate the way he feel's, but as i said to him i'm still the same person on the inside even though i have changed or changing on the outside. love JJ xx
    • 1198 posts
    July 5, 2004 3:29 PM BST
    Hi Shan
    Just give it time hun, your mates will understand oneday. The problem is as alot of girl's have said, people are scared of the unknown.Your friends remeber you as the old you and are scared you will shove Shan in thier faces. love JJ xx
    • 1198 posts
    July 5, 2004 5:55 PM BST
    I should have read it a bit more carefully, at least you explained it to me thanx love........love JJ xx
  • July 6, 2004 1:48 PM BST
    I have been moving out with all kinds of people, and I really don´t care what people say. Last fall I was myself a kinda freak magnet, getting funny people at my table wherever I sat down. Once it was two ladies landing on my both sides, repeating that they won´t care if I´m male or female, but they wish to kiss me.
    It was a funny period...but just long enough. Now I´m just a grey female disappearing in the masses.

Laura
    • 1198 posts
    July 6, 2004 2:10 PM BST
    Well said shan
    i'm with you there on that, if my friends don't like who i am on the outside ,then they are not true friends. I'm still me on the inside and that will never change. Love jj xx
    • 1198 posts
    July 6, 2004 2:56 PM BST
    I think it is the minority that behaves in this manner towrads anything that is not the norm to them, that cause's so many ill feelings around the world today.
    I was once a member of the NF and i was nearly brainwashed into beliving my way was the right way. I at the time like the minority now was scared of the unknown, to make matters worse i didn't know who or what i was at the time.
    So that is why now i think people can either take me as JJ, if not adios ameigo, why should i change so my mates would not get embarresed to be with me??? love JJ xx
    • 1198 posts
    July 6, 2004 4:35 PM BST
    I've only ever had a maximum of two incident's shan, one the bloke was drunk ,so i just was able to walk away from him without any confrontation.
    The second was with to youths who thought it would be highly funny to throw cans of drink over me, i was pissed off but one got a right hook and the other run home to mummy.
    But please don't think i look for trouble, i just belive in me being allowed to do and live how i want. love JJ xx
  • July 7, 2004 8:31 AM BST
    I was once in the same tram with a crossdresser, with a green hair and a stunning dress. She kept on talking with a loud deep male voice. The first thing what pops into my mind in such situations is "polterabend", that is the night before wedding, when the groom and his buddies do all kinds of crazy things. It was interesting to see that nobody gave this cd a second look. City people are tolerant...or ignorant.

Laura
    • 1198 posts
    July 7, 2004 9:44 AM BST
    Laura i think most people wont give a CD/TG a second glance in most case's, i found if i didn't think people were looking at me and i stopped touching my hair and looking at my self in such a manner as to draw attention to myself then i was fine.
    I wish i had learnt this in the early stages of JJ then i might not of had these bad expeirences, but there is always the minority that have a knack at reading you,it doesn't matter how convincing you are. Love JJ xx
    • 236 posts
    July 16, 2004 7:28 PM BST
    Hi Ashley
    You have been given loads of good advice here my answer to your original question for what its worth is there is no best time to come out other than when you feel ready to come out.you will know when that is for that is the best timefor you to let the world know , when your ready and prpared for wht it may throw in your face.

Best of luck and hope you get your own place one day soon to be the girl you realy are...
    Sarah Ann. XXX.
    • 2068 posts
    June 29, 2004 11:33 AM BST
    well julie, i'm 37 and i recently "came out" to my family a few months ago.The love and support i have recieved since then has been second to none.They have all been great about it which has made my"coming out" all the more happy for me.lol maria xxxxxxxxx
    • 2068 posts
    June 29, 2004 11:50 AM BST
    well sandra,when i came out,my greatest fear was that my family would disown me cos of what i did,but in actual fact they backed me 100% in what i was doing so i guess the "love" was always there.It was just that i didn't know it at the time.lol maria xxx