Travel Flying abroad

• 2358 posts
    May 5, 2010 1:09 PM BST
    The lead in from the forums directory.

Can a girl dressed, travel with a male passport? We have seen groups of men in drag flying to the european continent for various functions, they seem to be able to do this with little or no hassles,

Both the 1999 EEC human rights charter and the UK GRA 2005 have the opening definition Within the description of the act
    A person is legally considered as transitioning if they are under medical supervision. So if they had letters of confimation of intent from thier shrink and doctors then legally the airlines would be bound to carry them even if they were traveling on a male passport, Saying that I'm not sure on what the policy is with foreign airlines, would an Arab emirates flight from London to Frankfurt accept you as a passenger, do planes between other countries other than their own have to comply within the scope of the two countries laws they are flying between.

Any airline could refuse to convey a person if their appearance, dress was considered inapproriate and liable to outrage or upset other people on the plane.

Remember not all EEC countries have signed up to the human rights act, so you could be refused entry to those countries, I think Turkey is one and some of the Eastern European countries.

One would be extremely silly to fly of for a few weeks sun and relaxation to somwhere like the Arab Emirates or Dubai, no way would you be allowed entry, probably ending up being locked up.

Also one has to consider the imigration exit process in the UK, would your passport match your facial appearance?, we all know how when you send of your passport piccie and application the hassles of having it sent back because you were smiing.

For two years I flew from the UK to Germany, although my passport had my new gender name, it still had (sex = male) on it. I never had any real hassles, having my letters of reference with me to support my claim. Got a few odd looks and was questioned a couple of times.

Nowadays I understand its much easier to have the gender changed on your documents prior to getting a recognition certificate from the GR panel. that would save all the hassles. But obviously once you have that certificate under UK law you are a woman.

The sensible thing would be to make sure you would be allowed to travel before you buy the ticket.

Cristine

• 1652 posts
    May 5, 2010 4:24 PM BST
    There are certainly many advantages to being under “medical supervision” whilst transitioning.
    At my first appointment at the gender clinic we discussed official documentation, and the first correspondence I ever got from them after this, was a letter on my behalf for the attention of the passport office stating I was transitioning, so could they therefore issue a new passport in the female gender. Changing your name and then getting a new passport in this country is, or should be, quite straightforward, but they are unlikely to be willing to change the gender on your passport without something “official”. Perhaps a well-worded letter from yourself would persuade them, I don’t know. Has anyone tried this?
    A new passport was issued to me immediately with no questions asked when I sent them this letter along with my Deed Poll and a new photo of the real me! You don’t actually have to be legally female to get a female passport.

Deed Polls by the way, are something that can be done by yourself for free in this country; no official person or body is required to authorise it, and it is not registered anywhere; you just need one witness who can be anybody except a member of your family. Obviously to make it legally binding it must be correctly worded, and that’s why many people get a solicitor involved, or buy it online. But it needn’t cost you anything, and I am happy to provide anyone who wants one with the legally correct wording. (Mine has, incidentally, been seen and approved by a solicitor, and I’ve used it to change my name everywhere - bank, driving license, utilities and so on).

Travelling whilst presenting as female (as opposed to “in drag” for a stag party or whatever) but with male documentation may well cause you problems. Certainly, if your photo doesn’t look like you, you won’t be allowed to travel. If, as in Cris’s case, you are presenting as you look on your photo but with male as your gender, you might be ok, but perhaps less so in more misogynistic countries. Travelling abroad is not the time to “stand up for your rights”. So if in doubt, play it by the book, don’t take any chances or suffer the consequences.
    xx
    • 1017 posts
    May 5, 2010 4:35 PM BST
    Hi Lucy,

Can I ask you (or Cristine) what a "Deed Poll" is? From what you said, and from mentions in TG's blogs on other sites, I gather it has something to do with legally changing one's name. Is this also used for a non TG person, say a women changing her name at marriage or an entertainer who wants to legally be his "stage name"?

Don't think we have them in the USA (I worked for law offices when I was in college and I saw just about every legal document used in the US, at least in California.)

Best,
    Melody
    • 2017 posts
    May 5, 2010 4:36 PM BST
    I've had some experience of this flying to and from Germany and it's neighbours over the last few years and other than a few questioning looks or being questioned about whether I have the correct passport, I have had no problems. I wouldn't expect such ease in all countries, such as the middle east, so as Christine says, check beforehand, especially if flying outside Europe.

I had to change my photo to match my appearance in the end, (it was a couple of years old), and this made things far easier. One thing to watch for though is whilst you aren't necessarily in breach of any laws, the situation can depend on whether or not it is considered that you are trying to pass yourself off as someone you aren't, which may be interpretated differently each time.

However, even travelling as a woman with your passport in a male name, should not cause you any hassle, just embarrassment perhaps when you have to say, 'no, it's not my husband's passport, it's mine'! lol (It happened to me a couple of years ago, and was in fact, the last time I was ever questioned about it). As transitioning becomes more commonplace, police forces, airport staff and customs personnel have been trained to deal with us the same as everyone else, that is, with the proper respect. In Western Europe at least, you should encounter no difficulties.

Nikki

• 2017 posts
    May 5, 2010 4:43 PM BST
    Melody - a deed poll is a legal document that allows you to change your name to whatever you prefer, including a female name even if you are still living as a male. I remember someone changed theirs to 'Sydney Harbour Bridge' just for fun. You can change it as often as you want and it can be used on legal documents such as passports, driving licences and so on.

These links will explain it further but as Lucy said above, you can do this without solicitors etc.

http://www.deedpoll.org.uk/

http://www.deedpoll.com/

Nikki
    • 1652 posts
    May 5, 2010 5:07 PM BST
    Precisely Nikki: you may not be breaking any laws, but it is ultimately up to the discretion of the person who examines your passport at the airport. Not the time to find out if everything’s gonna be ok!
    And yes, a Deed Poll is a non-registered document that anyone can create when they wish to legally and permanently change their name. Married women don’t need to prepare one; a wedding certificate is legal proof of the surname change. I think it is possible to get a new passport in advance of marriage though, so a woman can go on honeymoon with her married name instead of her maiden name.
    Note that a Deed Poll must mean a permanent name change; you can’t switch back to using your old name unless you make another Deed Poll to reflect this. If you change your name more than once you must keep ALL Deed Polls as evidence of “the trail”.
    I believe in The States you must go to court to legally change your name? Here it’s free, easy and you just need someone that knows you to sign it.
    xx
    • 1652 posts
    May 5, 2010 5:19 PM BST
    Sorry, missed Cris’s post above when I replied…
    As far as I’m aware British people have always had the right to change their name without the aid of a magistrate or whatever. I’ve not heard that about the Land Registry, but I’m pretty confident that I still own my house.
    I would add that at present the application for a Gender Recognition Certificate (legal female status for a natal male, or vice versa) requires a Statutory Declaration, which must be approved by a magistrate or similar.
    A Stat Dec can also be used to legally change one’s name, but for the purposes of the GRC, the wording must also state the intention to permanently and forever live in the female role.
    Unfortunately, unless you have a mate who is a magistrate, a Stat Dec will cost money!
    xx
    • 2358 posts
    May 5, 2010 5:28 PM BST
    Lucy is right somthing i should have added, a statutory decleration endorsed by court is required for a Gender Recognition Certificate, it is used to officially alter birth gender registration and name. Its one of the few rare instances where details of the registry of a birth, while correct at the time of birth can be changed.

Cristine
    • 1652 posts
    May 5, 2010 5:33 PM BST
    One of the psycho's at the Gender Clinic actually suggested to me that my existing Deed Poll might suffice in place of a Stat Dec, though I'm not sure I believe him; it seems to be quite specific in the instructions for application.
    Has anyone ever tried this?
    xx
    • 2358 posts
    May 5, 2010 5:50 PM BST
    Lucy

Its my understanding that only a stat dec registed in court, resulting in a court order to the Registrar for B,D&M's can alter the entries.

Our solicitor handled all my applications and presentations

Cristine
    • 1912 posts
    May 5, 2010 6:49 PM BST
    I was able to get my name changed here in Georgia without an attorney which saved me several hundred dollars. The procedure varies by state and some are nearly as simple as what the UK gals are describing and of course fees vary by state.

I have flown as "Marsha" before and after the name change and never had an issue. I think the key is to have the picture on your identification match you. As I was transitioning but prior to my name change I realized I was getting looks when I hadn't changed my driver's license photo in years. Knowing I was going to be traveling more, I went ahead and had my photo updated.

Passports are an entirely different issue here. First off, unless you plan on going out of the country you are not required to have one. My only adventures out of the U.S. have been to Canada numerous times and that was prior to the current passport requirements. I will be applying for my passport in the next month or two because of my SRS in Thailand this December. I have a choice, I can get a male passport with my current ID, or I can get letters from my psych and surgeon stating the purpose of the trip and get a "Limited" or "Temporary" female passport. The difference is the Limited passport is only good for one year and during that year you can present proof of the SRS surgery and have the passport made permanent with female. If you go with the regular passport at first, then you must reapply and pay all the fees again to get a new one with female gender on it. I had friends do it each way this past fall and both said they had no problems with their passports.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 1017 posts
    May 5, 2010 6:59 PM BST
    Hi Nikki, Lucy and Cristine,

Thank you all for answering my question. I had the gist of what a Deed Poll was but totally lacked the nuances (and don't remember ever coming across a Statutory Declaration before.)
    In the US, you do indeed have to go before a judge to have your name changed (other than a woman changing her surname at marriage.)

I think this Forum is going to be very educational and I look forward to future threads.

Best,
    Melody
    • 2017 posts
    May 5, 2010 7:12 PM BST
    The beauty of this forum is that you can ask all those awkward questions without anyone looking back at you wondering why you need to know that.........

Plus, you are able to get answers from people who have 'been there, done that.'

Nikki
    • 871 posts
    May 5, 2010 8:35 PM BST
    what a fantastic thread! thanks crissie and everyone for a thread full of substance and enlightening information.

all i have to do now to go on holiday is find a country where im not banned from entry! lol
    • 1652 posts
    May 5, 2010 9:10 PM BST
    “Passports are an entirely different issue here… unless you plan on going out of the country you are not required to have one.”

That is actually the same here, Marsha!
    xx
  • May 6, 2010 1:02 PM BST
    My partner and I took our GRC applications to a solicitor for endorcement, rahter than a magistrate. It cost us £5 each and was sufficient.
    • 2358 posts
    May 6, 2010 1:33 PM BST
    Rules, regulations are changing so fast, hard to keep up Ali, did that entitle you to have your birth certificate name and gender changed as well? It was always my understanding it was only by court order that the original details on a birth certificate could be changed at the Registry of Births, Marriages and Deaths. I'm still learning and a brain can only absorb so much information at one time, so always grateful for examples or correction.

Cristine.
    • 1912 posts
    May 6, 2010 1:47 PM BST
    I kind of figured that Lucy, it is just that European countries tend to be much smaller than even some of our states, crossing borders over there is far more common and it is likely a given that most Europeans would possess a passport. Only until recent years have we been required to have a passport to go to Canada or Mexico, our two bordering nations. Fortunately the process other than waiting is pretty straight forward and there are procedures for transitioning TS's.

I think the biggest problem tends to be in our heads worrying over stuff like this. Often we think we are the center of attention when the reality is we are only one person amongst thousands airport security and customs see on a daily basis. As long as someone doesn't appear to be deceiving, I doubt there would be a problem.

Hugs,
    Marsha
  • May 6, 2010 2:07 PM BST
    Yes you are right Cris. It does have to go to court and yes I have full GRC. What I meant was for the application it can be witnessed by a solicitor.
    • 404 posts
    May 8, 2010 4:03 PM BST
    There is,in Europe, a thing called the Schengen Agreement which basically abolishes border controls between the signatory states- certainly for land travel. Air travel however is, of course, the playground of the security fanatics........... The Scandinavian countries have had the same idea for years- one border control when you enter the area and that's it, you can put your passport away for the rest of your trip.It's only when special events like G8 / NATO meetings and so on ,take place that border controls may be temporarily reinstated. Generally, you only really need a passport over here for identification purposes in the same way as ,in the US, your driving licence generally suffices. You may be asked by the police to identify yourself- but in 30 years in Germany that's never happened to me. Then again, the UK and Ireland(?) are the only european countries without identity cards..........

Lynn H.
    • 2017 posts
    May 26, 2010 12:56 PM BST
    Quite true Lynn, a passport isn't really necessary in member states any more although personally I sitll carry mine for the purposes of proving my nationality and therefore entitlement to free medical care should I need it. Yes, you can use your own travel insurance too, particularly useful if you have an annual plan, but it's simpler to just be able to prove your European identity. It certainly helped me a few times when I required stitching back up again!

I would also definately recommend taking a passport when travelling to Eastern European countries even if they are part of the Schengen agreement, they can be a few years behind the West.

Nikki
  • June 27, 2010 6:15 PM BST
    Stat Decs cost exactly £5 by law. Any solicitor has to provide one on request. It is possible to do without one simply by telling everyone that a cahnage of name and gender is to take place but why make things difficult for £5 for goodness sake!
    British have ancient right to take any name they fancy.
    I took one name when I left the parental home at 19 and then when I started transition I took another.
  • August 24, 2010 12:46 PM BST
    This is my first effort at getting involved in a forum - of any kind - so I don't know if what I write will end up on the forum page or just go to Rose White. If it lands in your personal inbox, Rose, then I apologise. I just wanted to thank all the excellent contributors - the answers were clear and well-written (I'm not very au fait with lots of computer-speak abbreviations). I have learnt a lot from you all on a subject that had puzzled me. I'm pretty much on my own in terms of my journey towards gender change and trying to glean as much information as possible - but there is so much on the internet that it gets overwhelming. I have never travelled outside the UK en femme - and have only just begun to use public transport here - but used to fly a lot on business. The pompous and 'jobsworth' attitude of the hoardes of security personnel (but less so the passport officials) is intimidating enough for straight men or women, so I was dreading what might happen when I try to travel as the new me. I feel much more confident, now that I am equipped with your helpful information.
    DawnNewday x
    • 2358 posts
    August 24, 2010 2:30 PM BST
    Hiya Dawn.

Welcome to the forums, I was traveling abroad before the GRA or the gender recognition certificate came into being, having changed my name on all my documents apart from my birth certificate, but my passport still had my gender down as male, There is lots of good advice herein all the various forums , I look forward to your contributions and thoughts, there are some lighthearted and inane ones as well lol.
  • August 25, 2010 11:17 AM BST
    the only proof of name change I ever used in 2005 for my name change and to get new passport and then in 2007 to get GRC and BC was the Stat Dec that I signed in solicitor/lawyers office in early 2005.

In Uk we can change our name by simply writing to all the officials we deal with but to get a state pension we have to show legal proof of name change and then send our GRCs to Newcastle where our records are held securely with only a few people able to view them.

The only people who need to see our GRC and new BCs are the Dept of Work and Pensions - anyone else who demands to see them is breaking the law.