What book are you reading?

• 734 posts
    September 27, 2010 12:51 AM BST
    I don't know if this has been done elsewhere - way too lazy a gal to look! - it's just a nice quick easy thread for all who care to drop by and add to...

I'll start off - slightly awkwardly on the basis I'm not reading a book right now but reviewing my own manuscript - with the book I've just finished:

Hells Kitchen by Jeffrey Deaver.

This is his 2001 novel in the Location Scout series which - for me - showed he'd entered the main arena in a big way. His plotting and twists suddenly took centre stage and he was well on the road to being the master of the crime thriller...

Best wishes
    Rae
    • 1017 posts
    September 27, 2010 1:36 AM BST
    Hi Rae,

I've lately discovered e-books. Both Amazon and Barnes & Noble have free e-book readers you can download for PC or Mac.

They also have free or very inexpensive (>$3.00US) books for download. I've reread Treasure Island, am currently reading Dracula and have Little Women and the Complete Sherlock Holmes on my hard drive. Of course, they offer more recent titles for close to the price of paperback editions. I love it.

I actually have some of the books I've downloaded in hardcover editions that look wonderful on my bookshelf, but the layer of dust tells me I haven't pulled them down since I moved into my house in 1996. The e-books don't have the same feel, but I find I'm actually reading them - surely the point.

Best,
    Melody
    • 2627 posts
    September 27, 2010 12:19 PM BST
    Right now I'm reading books by Jack Higgens. I'll find a writer I like & read everything they've done. I use to read a lot but internet kind of took over my time. But than I bought my ipad. Now I'm back to reading a couple of books a week.
    • 51 posts
    September 29, 2010 6:12 PM BST
    I've just finished Transitions by Iain Banks a wonderfully twisty turny tale of alternate dimensions rogue assassins and despotic leaders and am dipping in and out of In Our Time by Melvin Bragg, which is transcrpits of 26 episodes of the BBC Radio Four series of the same name
  • September 29, 2010 8:52 PM BST
    Just finished reading again "Life of Pi" by Yann Martell.
    Reccomended.
  • September 29, 2010 8:58 PM BST
    BTW Rae I think a book club (ancient or modern) is a great idea.
  • September 29, 2010 9:03 PM BST
    Sorry about the repeated posts girls.
    • 734 posts
    September 29, 2010 10:05 PM BST
    What repeated posts hunni?
    Could be a good idea, it's interesting to see what people are reading. Also, I'm the worlds worst for trying to make up my mind on what to read! Tara's book sounds intriguing...
    Best wishes
    Rae x
    • 51 posts
    October 22, 2010 12:47 PM BST
    Hi Rae

I would recommend anything by Iain Banks or his SF if Iain M Banks. He is the only author I have recently read who has taken my breath away with an unsuspected twist and on more than one occassion.

I am currently reading his book - The Business, and still dipping in and out of In Our Time, but it's been difficult to find the time for a good reading session.

At bed time I am reading Treasure Island to M, (my youngest) I've really taken to reading him his bed time story

Tara
    • 52 posts
    May 13, 2011 2:07 PM BST

I agree with the Iain Banks posts - a fantastic writer with unsuspecting twists. Player of Games is a must read.

Also Terry Pratchett and Robert Rankin for the outrageously absurd humour.

This seems to have become a recommend your fave author forum, so to stick to the real thread I have just finished Bella Mafia by Lynda LaPlant. A half decent read but I wouldn't recommend people dash out and buy a copy. I'll ready anything.

Alice 

• May 15, 2011 7:50 PM BST

re: iain m banks: player of games, use of weapons, look to windward and his latest sci fi book surface detail are all worth reading.

I am currently reading Embassytown by China Mieville.  If you haven't read any of his stuff I would really recommend you do - very well written urban fantasy, Perdido Street Station and The Scar are both excellent and "The City and The City" is probably onbe of the most original books you're likely to read in  a while.

• 51 posts
    June 6, 2011 10:11 AM BST

I am currently reading Eliric of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock, an umpteenth reread. Having a bit of a Moorcock spate recently having just finished Breakfast in the Ruins and dipping in and out of Into The Media Web, a collection of non fiction articles, forwards critiques etc.

Tara

This post was edited by Tara Bernadette at June 6, 2011 10:11 AM BST
  • June 9, 2011 9:42 PM BST

I'm reading The Jefferson Key by Steve Berry.  A conspiratorial mystery surrounding  a group of Pirates from the founding of the US days, that have been involved in presidential assasinations from early days till now.  It is a page turner.

• June 10, 2011 7:02 AM BST

The Empire of The Sun by JG Ballard

• June 12, 2011 1:46 PM BST

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

• 734 posts
    June 13, 2011 2:51 AM BST

Recently finished Carte Blanche by Jeffrey Deaver.

Ok, I'm a little biased as a massive JD fan. (If you can call a UK size 16 'massive'). It seems to have got mixed reviews. Mainly favourable but a few little snooty ones from James Bond die hards. I thought jeffrey did a great job in updating the franchise into modern times with modern technology - loved the iQphone and all the apps. JD's trademark twists and turns went into overdrive. A real rollercoaster ride and well worth the £5 I paid for it...

• June 17, 2011 5:31 PM BST

The Queen and I.   By Sue Townsend

"When a Republican party wins the General Election, their first act in power is to strip the royal family of their assets andtitles and send them to live on a housing estate in the Midlands.

Exchanging Buckingham Palace for a two-bedroomed semi in Hellbore Close ( or Hell Close as the locals dub it), The Queen and her family learn what it means to be poor among the great unwashed. But is their breeding sufficient to allow them to rise above their changed cir***stance or deep down are they really just like everyone else?"

If you have read and enjoyed the Adrian Mole diaries, you will like this

• 1 posts
    July 24, 2015 3:26 PM BST

im reading norah lofts the suffolk triology, final book, on kindle. i dont know Carte Blanche by Jeffrey Deaver. whats it about? the queen and i was a great book,  i wasnt to keen on the second one she wrote.