Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Technical Support » Religion and Profiles

Religion and Profiles

Tags : None
  • Hi All,

I've had some problems with my profile over that last couple of months, specifically the "Religion" category. (If you open Edit My Profile it is listed as "Feelings About Religion".)

When I first filled out my profile, back in March of 2009, I entered "Former Catholic" and that seemed to be fine but I was never really satisfied with that since I haven't been an active Catholic since I got my first car in 1967. I'm a very, very former Catholic.

A couple of months ago, I ran across a quote that nicely summed up my feelings:
    "Faith: 'that which enables us to believe things which we know to be untrue.'" - Bram Stoker

I replaced "Former Catholic" with it and saved my profile. A while later I wanted to make another change to my profile and was surprised to find the Religion category was now blank.

Thought maybe the quote was too long or something, so I went back, reluctantly, to "Former Catholic".

Today I was making another edit to my profile and saw the Religion field was blank again. I've made many updates to my profile to other categories and have never had the reverting to blank problem in any of them. I don't know what to think about why this is happening. I sure hope no one is doing this based on their own beliefs. (Can't imagine who or why they would - nothing I posted was very extreme or purposely offensive.)

I've updated it again to "Not interested enough to be an agnostic." Wonder how long it stays up...

Best,
    Melody
    <p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      October 30, 2010 10:56 PM BST
  • Melody,

These things are usually bugs in the complex GS website code. Today the NEW beta GS website does not have a record of my email and will not let me in. With trying to move data from the old site to the new one, we can expect more of this at times.

I was baptized Roman Catholic, but I had no say in it. I was ambushed by a priest near the door of the Church. My first choice, I went C of E, but left that far behind a few years later. Perhaps Ceiling Cat (God) is punishing us for leaving the RCs. I can haz nudder Religin, seriusly.
    "A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      October 31, 2010 8:30 AM GMT
  • in my profile under religion it says:

"Religion is the root of of evil". If thats allowed I'm sure yours is fine.

To qualify my statement. It means that people getting all high and mighty about their beliefs and attempting to assert their views over those of another has been a greatest cause of war and other evils in history.

I have no problem at all with those who believe. In fact i'm a little jealous, as you know what happens if you when you die etc.
    To love what one has is to be resigned to never get what one wants. Natalie Clifford Barney.
      October 31, 2010 9:22 AM GMT
  • Wendy, my email address wasn’t being recognised either, but I logged in ok using my username instead.
    Melody, I shouldn’t worry about the religion thing, just a technical glitch I’m sure. I just checked your profile and seems to be as you last left it. I love that skirt by the way in your profile photo, where’d you get it?!
    xx
      October 31, 2010 1:52 PM GMT
  • Hi Lucy,

I do like that skirt, too. I bought it ages ago from Spiegel's mail order catalog. They used to be a major department store in, I think, Chicago. These days they are an internet site, www.spiegel.com, but I think the name is the only connection to the store, which I've been told has closed down.

Best,
    Melody
    <p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      October 31, 2010 2:05 PM GMT