Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » TG Admirers » Take a walk on the wild side

Take a walk on the wild side

Tags : None

• Gynemimetophilia is sexual attraction to male-assigned people who look, act like, or are women, including assigned-male crossdressers. It can also refer to an attraction to trans women. A related term is gynemimesis, which refers to a homosexual male who engages in female impersonation without sex reassignment. Both terms originate in a 1984 paper of John Money and Margaret Lamacz. The terms were used by Money for classification purposes in his gender-transposition theory.
    Andromimetophilia (sometimes misspelled as androminetophilia) is sexual attraction to female-assigned people who look, act like men, or are men; including butch women or trans men. The attraction can be to people who have not undergone any physical transition, or to people who have.

Originally (and still predominantly) used to describe the men sexually interested in pre-operative transwomen, the term tranny chaser is now being used in FTM communities as well.

Many members of the transgender community (particularly in the MTF population) use "tranny chaser" or *tranny Admirer* in a pejorative sense, because they consider it a fetish-like attraction to the penis of a pre-operative or non-operative transwoman MTF or to the vagina of a pre- or non-operative transman.[citation needed]. In their pathbreaking book, True Selves, Helen Boyd and Mildred Brown have suggested that tranny chasing men may be homosexual men in denial. The term "tranny" is itself considered a perjorative by the community.
    In "Diary of a Drag Queen" Daniel Harris describes four types of men interested in him while he was cross-dressed, heterosexual men who wanted the presumed superior oral services of another male, homosexuals who were only interested in his genitals, other cross dressers, and men who were intrigued by the mixture of masculinity and femininity he represented.

*assigned* means gender at birth.

According to Helen Boyd, "Tranny chasers are the big bugaboo in the crossdressing community, because their very existence suggests that crossdressers are not all as straight as they claim to be. Chasers are willing to give crossdressed men the kind of attention they desire, and that attention (a drink, a compliment) validates the crossdresser's experience, and completes the fantasy of feeling like a woman.

References in pop culture

Barry Zuckerkorn, a lawyer on the television series Arrested Development has a penchant for transgender prostitutes.
    Matt McNamara, a high school student on the television series Nip/Tuck, learns that a former lover is transsexual and becomes fascinated with them.
    RuPaul's 2009 studio album Champion includes a track titled "Tranny Chaser".
    Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      February 8, 2011 6:36 PM GMT
  • Thanks for pointing that out :)

/K
      February 10, 2011 9:06 PM GMT
  • Seems to be a bit one side to me, thats just their perspective, they obviously never include or missed out on the sincere and genuine men that we have got to know and come to love and respect in return. KEEF, MATT, xxxXxxx. as I said in earlier thread, Admirers are as diverse as the people we are.. I certainly don't want to see the term ''Tranny Chaser" used on this site. It sorta drags down the respect and admiration I personally associate with the Term Admirer. ... could be worse lol, you could be called estate agents
      February 10, 2011 9:23 PM GMT
    Yes I agree with that Cris, the information seems to once again centre on the negative side, which isn't a surprise as its the most common that is portrayed. To me, would a girl announce to her friends a considerate, kind guy knowing that they might steal him away???

How dare you stoop so low to compare estate agents to admirers, admirers have a moral or 2 yah know
    Not to borrow the strength of another, nor to rely on one's own strength; to cut off past and future thoughts, and not to live within the everyday mind... then the Great Way is right before your eyes. - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
      February 10, 2011 9:47 PM GMT
    I think it's the usual problem of the ignorant pretending to understand something they fail to fully comprehend and disguise it in professional sounding language. Absolute bunkum to me. Never liked the term 'tranny chaser' as that sounds like a pest to me. 'tranny admirer' at least strives for a little more class...
    Rae
    www.raekelcou.com
      February 10, 2011 9:53 PM GMT
  • Yes Rae, but the people who write these things claim to have done, studies and in deapth research. claiming to be eminent authorities on the subject,
      February 10, 2011 10:03 PM GMT
    I know hunni that was my point. They know far less then they are claiming. A couple of meetings at the GIC in CX will confirm this!
    Rae x
    www.raekelcou.com
      February 10, 2011 10:07 PM GMT
    Hmm, but would these eminant minds do that & see another side??
    Not to borrow the strength of another, nor to rely on one's own strength; to cut off past and future thoughts, and not to live within the everyday mind... then the Great Way is right before your eyes. - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
      February 10, 2011 10:11 PM GMT
    'Fraid not Matt, these sort of 'eminent' minds are running the show there...
    Rae
    www.raekelcou.com
      February 10, 2011 10:16 PM GMT
    Well maybe its time that the 'inmates' ran the asylum for a change?
      February 10, 2011 10:22 PM GMT
    It's certainly time they listened and learnt from us as opposed to believing they know best and that everything written over the past 30 years must be gospel!
    Rae
    www.raekelcou.com
      February 10, 2011 10:32 PM GMT
  • Its all about heteronormativity, who invents all these words, {whats perceived as the norm}
      February 10, 2011 10:43 PM GMT
    Exactly. There is no 'norm'. [And the people who invent these words are those who wish to exclude the average person from their discussion...]
    Rae x
    www.raekelcou.com
      February 10, 2011 11:07 PM GMT
  • I'll go along with the belief that trannychasers arebisexual or closet gays.
    Lost track of number of rewsponses I've had to personal ad in which I stated I was pre-op. Invariably when I said surgery was my aim the responce was Oh no Keept it!

Then on the BBC Sex Change series most of the so-called TS were in fact CD/TV homosexual. Listen to their chat about keeping and enjoying their male bits.

http://www.youtube.com/wa[...]DD0i6Tw
      February 11, 2011 11:18 AM GMT
  • I don't mind being referred to as a Tranny Chaser :)

April 9, 2011 11:44 PM BST
  • oh bless keef xx

September 18, 2011 8:28 AM BST
  • :)

September 21, 2011 11:59 AM BST
  • So I am acloset gay even though the thought of sex with a man is totally disgusting but the same though with a TG is ripping? I can have sex with women, have to where I live or drive 120 miles, but never reach orgasm. Maybe the term freak applies.

November 8, 2011 5:34 PM GMT
  • TGs have been referred to as a "third-sex".  Perhaps TA's are merely the "opposite third-sex" and the term "gay" is not applicable.  Reusing terms, to make it easier to "box" an individual, is a slippery slope but one that can be attractive to minimize effort.  People want to avoid terms like "transgenderphilic pseudohetrosexual"  (TP?).  We see this when all LGBTAOetc persons are referred to as "gay", which can lead to wrong impressions in the gender-undereducated. (GU?).  No wonder there is a strong movement for "no labels".  Labels are a "two-edged sword". (TES?)

"A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      November 8, 2011 8:19 PM GMT