Chili Size

• 1017 posts
    February 15, 2011 11:31 PM GMT
    Hi Anna-Marie,

Yeah, I know, but the purpose was to show a simple, anyone can make it, recipe.

I do in fact have a killer "from scratch" Chili Con Carne recipe that I'll post one of these days. (It begins "buy a large steer and a five acre beanfield...")

Best,
    Mellie

• 1980 posts
    February 16, 2011 1:57 AM GMT
    I like it, Mel, ingredients and weapons. Makes sense. Sometimes I call them Implements of Destruction.

Love your sense of humor, girl.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 2068 posts
    February 15, 2011 11:24 PM GMT

Melody, using canned chilli is cheating.......its better to make your own as then you can have it as hot as you like. Trust me i know!

lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie
    • 1017 posts
    February 15, 2011 6:01 PM GMT
    Hi all,

This is a really easy recipe, Chili Size.

Ingredients:
    1. 2 1/4 lb. hamburger patties, 70-80% lean
    2. 1 can of Chili Con Carne with beans, 15 oz./425 g.
    3. Salsa
    4. Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla & Asadero cheeses.

Weapons:
    1. Turner
    2. Spatula
    3. Medium frying pan
    4. Microwave safe bowl

Directions:
    Heat frying pan to medium heat. Turn heat down to low and place hamburger patties in the pan. Burgers with a high fat content will fry up very juicy if cooked at low heat. Takes a little longer, but they won't come out with the consistency of hockey pucks.

Open the can of Chili (I like Dennison's Chunky) and use the spatula to move the contents to the bowl. Place the bowl, covered loosely (I use an upside down paper plate) in the microwave and nuke on high for 2 minutes.

Turn the patties carefully, if they crack the juices will run onto the pan and be cooked away.

Stir the chili and nuke another 1 1/2 minutes.

Place a shredded mound (one of those undefined measurements) of your cheeses on each patty. (I use a pre-shredded "4 Cheese Mexican Style" that comes in 2 lb./907 g. bags, but then I use a LOT of cheese.)

When the cheese is melting, transfer the patties to a plate. Cover them, using your spatula, with the heated chili.

Cover the chili with a thin layer of salsa (I use Salsa Verde.) Serve warm. Serves two, one chili covered patty each.

Variations:
    1. Place a slice of toasted bread or a warmed corn tortilla on the plate before adding the patty.
    2. Fry an egg and place on top of the patty and cheese before pouring on the chili.
    3. Use chopped raw onions and diced jalapenos instead of the salsa.
    4. Cover the finished dish with another layer of shredded cheese.
    5. Or any combination of the above that appeals to you.

Best,
    Mellie