Starving

• 1017 posts
    February 11, 2011 11:38 PM GMT
    Hi Lucy and Joni Mari,

Sloppy Joes:

Sloppy Joe is a brand name in the US. Manwich is the same thing from another company.

Brown 1 lb. of ground beef/hamburger minced into small bits. Add one can of the Sloppy Joe/Manwich muck into the meat and heat till it begins to bubble.

Spoon a lot of the glop onto hamburger buns. Serve with lots of napkins. Cover the floor with old newspapers, prepare a nuclear waste level decontamination chamber to cleanup the diners...

Congratulations, you've just served a very messy ground beef ketsup infused mess on a bun. (If you are lucky, your dog will help clean up the mess...mine won't, they have good taste.)

Best,
    Mellie
    • 1017 posts
    February 11, 2011 11:42 PM GMT
    Hi Anna-Marie,

I know the Vikings raided, raped and pillaged Scotland a few centuries ago, but isn't eating Swedes a bit drastic?

Best
    Mellie
    • 1017 posts
    February 11, 2011 11:57 PM GMT
    Hi Rae,

It was me, not Joni, that mentioned using a broiler. No, it's not a grill or grill pan. It is an intense heat setting from the top of the oven that is used to very quickly heat meats or to melt cheeses.

A broiler pan is typically a shallow pan with a slotted cover the food sits on to allow fats and greases to drip as food is cooked into drip into the lower pan (instead of making a mess at the bottom of the oven.)

Best,
    Mellie

• 746 posts
    February 13, 2011 2:54 AM GMT
    told you I was The Thread Killer!
    • 1017 posts
    February 12, 2011 9:33 PM GMT
    Hi Rae,

Thanks for the history of mincemeat lesson. Anything that starts with "Take four pounds of Beef, Veal or Neats-Tongues, and eight pounds of suet;" is certainly a far cry from the mince pies of my youth. Gosh, that's 12 pounds of meat and fat - hope it's a recipe for more than one person... (Mellie thinks of Charles Laughton as Henry VIII)

Best,
    Mellie
    • 1980 posts
    February 15, 2011 3:26 PM GMT
    Amen to that, sister. Right now at our house, it's just me and my wife and she had gastric bypass surgery in August so she hardly eats anything at all. That only leaves me to be sure that there are no leftovers cluttering up the fridge. I've been valiantly doing my best and I'm sure that soon I won't fit in any of my clothes except for, perhaps, my ratty old pink chenille bathrobe.<heavy sigh>

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 1980 posts
    February 12, 2011 7:37 PM GMT
    Hi Traci, yes, please do share your recipes with us. It's what this new forum is all about. Like you and Mel I love all sorts of Asian cuisine. Living here in Seattle there is a huge Asian presence and I can find Vietnamese, Thai, Cambodian, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, you name it on nearly any corner. As well as lots of other ethnic eateries, of course.

Looking forward to hearing more from you, girl..

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 746 posts
    February 12, 2011 7:21 PM GMT
    (smile) Joni...I too usually roast a pork loin first...sever some pieces, chop it up very fine, and toss in the rice to serve with the loin...then I'll get some cinnamon apple sauce and voila!

Mel, my favorite cuisine is Chinese (or Thai or Viet Namese, etc...) I make many dishes in my wok and really have gotten quite good. I'm serious about the Chinese coming to me...whenever our friends who are Chinese hear I m preparing a meal, they always insist on trading...they'll bring over something made by their grandmother or something in exchange for mine...we usually just sit together and share though! (smile)

Fresh ingredients, plus the magical touch of blending spices, oils, and such lead to some magnificent dining! I love hitting the farmer's markets daily to pick out what I'm going to make for that night...word of advice, do not go on an empty stomach! LOL

Would be glad to share recipes for my dishes and sauces...

[email protected]

Traci

• 1980 posts
    February 12, 2011 6:30 PM GMT
    You're not the thread killer, Traci, I always thought that was me. (Somebody better post something after this, or I swear I'll cry. I will. I mean it.)

I love your recipe for fried rice it sounds delish, I may have to make up a batch of rice just to do that. I was planning onmaking a roast of pork later this week, so maybe I'll make it more Chinesy and make them both. Yum, roast pork with a soy based marinade and fried rice. Whoops, drooled on my shirt, 'scuse me.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 734 posts
    February 12, 2011 5:39 PM GMT
    Thoroughly enjoying the decent chat about all the linguistic differences!
    Mellie, 'mincemeat' as you describe it is used over here although primarily at Christmas for mince pies. The original Elizabethan recipe [I'll see if I can find it again] did indeed contain meat and was far more savoury than sweet...
    xx
    • 1017 posts
    February 12, 2011 6:10 PM GMT
    Hi Traci,

That sounds really good. I really like Chinese food, especially Szechwan / Hunan spicy varieties. I seldom attempt to cook it myself, though.

When I worked in downtown San Francisco, my work group of about fourteen was almost all Chinese, other than me and another white girl, two Filipinas and a Salvadoran. Chinatown was within easy walking distance so most every day we all, along with my Mexican friend from another work group and our Chinese intern, would make the trek to all the out of the way restaurants where the Chinese eat - not the awful places that cater to the tourists. Great times with a fun group of people.

Best,
    Mellie
    • 1017 posts
    February 13, 2011 9:12 PM GMT
    Hi Traci,

Please do post your main courses.

One request.... this thread has lots of good info and recipes but it's going to be hard to find them in six months. How about starting a new thread with a name that's searchable to the specific dish?

Looking forward to what you (and everyone else) post in this new forum.

Best,
    Mellie
    • 1017 posts
    February 15, 2011 2:03 AM GMT
    Hi Traci,

To paraphrase the old Bobby Fuller Four song:

"I Fought The Sauce And The Sauce Won."

(A') Breakin' eggs in the ... hot sun
    I Fought the Sauce and the ... sauce won
    I needed flour, 'cause I ... had none

I lost my basil and I feel so bad
    I guess my dish is done
    Well, she's the best spice ... I've ever had

Servin' people with a . . . Hot bun

I miss my salt and the ... good fun

I burned my roast and I feel so bad
    I guess my meal is done
    But, she's the best spice ... I've ever had

Best,
    Mellie
    • 746 posts
    February 15, 2011 1:16 AM GMT
    Avoid pasta sauce all over the ceiling????

Try a mesh screen with a handle designed to keep grease from splashing...or parchment paper...ALWAYS use parchment paper over your bowl when you microwave something! (smile)

And I want a "Throwdown" with Louise over the fried rice!

For you UK girls and others not up to speed, there is a chef named "Bobby Flay" who has a TV show here in the USA on the Food Network. The premise is that he goes around the country challenging local restaurants/chefs at their specialty...in a blind taste test, a couple of food critics sample and judge the dishes....a winner is announced, then the crowd all enjoys the dishes!

Louise, you game???? (smile)

BTW, Bobby Flay appeared here in Richmond, VA not too long ago at a local BBQ joint and was soundly defeated by "Buzz and Neds"! But Flay is always a good sport about it and the show is a lot of fun...plus, you learn soooo many good tips about ingredients, prepping, and the methods of cooking/heating, not to mention how to use tools properly among other things...

Louise???? Where do you live hun?

Traci xoxoxo
    • 2068 posts
    February 14, 2011 11:40 PM GMT

CSI forum.........now THAT i'd like to see but only if i could be Stella Bonasera from CSI: NY...lol

Anna-Marie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    • 734 posts
    February 14, 2011 11:55 PM GMT
    I'm beginning to get seriously worried as to what exactly you people are doing with the pasta sauce!
    • 1017 posts
    February 14, 2011 9:50 PM GMT
    Hi Joni Mari,

No, we better not. Someone might think it's a CSI forum...

Best,
    Mellie
    • 1980 posts
    February 14, 2011 9:36 PM GMT
    Okay. You win. Maybe that should be the avatar for the cooking forum.

Hugs...Joni Mari
    • 1017 posts
    February 14, 2011 7:10 PM GMT
    d'oh...

• February 14, 2011 4:01 AM GMT
    In that regard, see my post under "Fried Rice"

Louise
    • 1980 posts
    February 14, 2011 2:05 PM GMT
    Pasta sauce on the ceiling.<giggle> Done that before. I have the skillet flip down and it never fails to impress but every once in awhile my timing is way off and food winds up all over the stove...or the wall...or the ceiling...or me.<lol>

Hugs...Joni Mari
  • February 17, 2011 8:31 AM GMT
    Angharrad, we just couldn't be bothered cooking that night, so it was a lovely treat. Friday night is our normal takeaway night. Mind you, the portions are so big that my wife and I split a fish supper between us....well, we must look after our figures a bit!
    • 746 posts
    February 18, 2011 4:14 PM GMT
    LOL Louise!!

I too look forward to trying your recipe as well! I love fried rice and am always seeking new and better ways to prepare it! Thnx for the tips...and you better get a cat to protect your from that rascally rodent!

Traci xoxoxo