Steamed Corn and Green Beans

• 1017 posts
    March 16, 2011 5:09 PM GMT
    Hi all,

I try to have at least one dinner a week that is meat free. Here is one I made the other night:

Steamed Corn and Green Bean Dinner

Ingredients:
    1. 4 good sized ears of fresh corn or 1/2 lb frozen or one can (14 1/4 oz.) whole kernel corn
    2. 1/2 lb. fresh or frozen green beans or one can (14 1/4 oz.) of green beans
    3. 4 - 6 tablespoons of pasta sauce
    4. 1 - 2 cloves of minced garlic
    5. 2 1/2 oz. each: chopped or diced mushrooms and sliced black olives
    6. 1/4 cup of chicken broth (optional)
    7. Grated Parmesan cheese

Tools:
    1. A steamer - this can be a fancy dedicated electric one, a Asian style bamboo one or a steamer insert for a pot or pan
    2. A small microwave safe covered bowl
    3. A measuring cup and tablespoon
    4. A wide bladed knife

Instructions:
    If using fresh, remove husk from corn and clean corn and green beans. Remove ends from bean pods. I usually cut the kernels off the cob and julienne the green beans, but this isn't necessary.
    Put the 1/4 cup of chicken broth into the bottom of your steamer. (If you want to stay strictly vegetarian, you can use water, but you'll loose the savory flavor.) As you heat the liquid, carefully crush your garlic with the side of the knife blade, remove the skin and mince. Add the garlic to the liquid and cover.
    Put the pasta sauce, mushrooms and olives in your loosely covered bowl.
    When the liquid begins to boil in your steamer, add your corn kernels or cobs to the basket. Allow the corn to steam for 8 minutes.
    Add your green beans to the basket and and steam for another 8 minutes.
    Microwave the pasta sauce, mushrooms and olives for 3 - 5 minutes on high.
    You'll know when to remove the vegetables when the beans are soft but not mushy.
    Plate the veggies and pour the sauce over it.
    Grate the Parmesan cheese over the dinner. The result is not only good tasting, but the yellow, green, red, black and ecru (the cheese) colors make for a very attractive presentation.

Serves two.

Best,
    Mellie

• 10 posts
    March 17, 2011 2:01 PM GMT
    Thanks Melody, This sounds like a really good recipe however fresh corn is a few months away but maybe it will still work with a good brand of frozen corn. I'm starting on my annual spring diet and this sounds like a recipe I can use. Keep them coming.

My best to you!

XX

Ginger M.
    • 1980 posts
    March 17, 2011 7:55 PM GMT
    Hi Mellie-

Thanks, that sounds like a delicious recipe and perfect for losing some weight for Spring, which I am sure is just around the corner, at least according to the calendar. One of my New Year resolutions was to tone down my carnivorous impulses, which my Dr also said would be a good idea.

So girls, if any of you have any great vegetarian dishes you'd like to share, please trot them out.

Hugs...Joni Mari