Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » The Cooking Forum » A recipe for Cincinnati Chili?

A recipe for Cincinnati Chili?

Tags : None
    Hi all,

A dish I've seen on the Food Network and the Cooking Channel is "Cincinnati Chili" which is basically chili over spaghetti pasta and it comes in (send the children out of the room, it sounds like an orgy) "two-way, three-way, four-way or five-way" variations. I love both Southwest and Italian foods so it sounds ideal for me.

Is there anyone out there from Ohio or the surrounding environs who has a good recipe for it that I could try? Searching the Internet turns up all sorts of variations, some of them very weird. What I'm looking for is a basic version (which I ultimately can make my own very weird variation on...)

Anyhow, can any of you Mid-West folks help me with recipes?

Best,
    Mellie

<p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      March 17, 2011 10:42 PM GMT
  • Mel, 

I once worked for a company in Kansas City (famous for Barbeque) that merged with a Cincinnatti (famous for Chili) company. There was always internal bickering about chili and BBQ. I LOVE KC BBQ, but I've never tried the Cincinnatti chili. It never really appealed to me at the time, but these days, my tastes have broadened, like my dress size.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print/Recipe.aspx?RecipeID=206953&origin=detail&&Servings=10

One of the reviewers claims that this is the actual Skyline Chili recipe. 

The Cincinnati "Skyline" Chili Ordering Code 
    1-way: just the chili
    2-way: chili served over spaghetti
    3-way: chili, spaghetti, and grated Cheddar cheese
    4-way: chili, spaghetti, cheese, and onions
    5-way: chili, spaghetti, cheese, onions, and beans 
    All "ways" are served with oyster crackers.

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. -- Edgar Allan Poe
      May 8, 2011 7:03 AM BST

Hi Nicole,

Since I started working on this project I've found more than 60 recipes, though I missed this one. Comparing it to the best of what I found, it looks to be among the most authentic: the cooking method is correct and the ingredients are right on, including the chocolate.

Thanks for the link, when I try my own I'll definitely use it as a referance.

Best, Mellie

<p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      May 8, 2011 3:56 PM BST