Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Make-Up Tips » Eye make-up (specifically eye liner)

Eye make-up (specifically eye liner)

Tags : None
  • Applying eye make-up effectively is a skill that can take a long time to develop. Eye liner was always a problem for me. I often found it difficult to apply the stuff cleanly and evenly without creating a black smudgy mess under the eyes. If you watch Youtube videos on how to use, for example, a pencil eye liner you will be amazed how the women presenters can apply one perfectly with a single bold stroke. Anyway, what I have learned from experience is not be tentative or afraid of smudges. Apply the eye liner first and then deal with any smudges or unevenness afterward. The secret weapon in this case is cotton buds. Go to work immediately after applying the eyeliner by brushing or scraping back and forth gently under the eye with a cotton bud. This not only removes any smudges, but also neatens out the eyeliner. It also avoids the problem of unintentionally removing foundation and powder that can occur if you use a pad or a tissue under the eyes. Finally, reapply powder and brush under the eye.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious here with my would-be advice, but sometimes the obvious solution eludes us at the beginning (or at least it did me).
      March 23, 2011 3:02 AM GMT
  • It's been so long since I've gone to the trouble of applying makeup, I've likely forgotten everything I ever learned. Maybe tomorrow, for the Procrastinator's Convention.
    <Sigh>
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. -- Edgar Allan Poe
      March 23, 2011 8:06 AM GMT
  • Great tips Rachael, I love makeup, it sure can make an older lady hide some defects if done right.
    I find pencil eye liner really does not work for me that well. Just can't get it to have any staying power or the effect I want. I find that a good eye shadow works well. Basely the same as a pencil, except, I wet a good detail brush and apply black eye shadow to line the inner lash area. Then with a dry flat detail brush, apply black shadow into the eye lash and just below a tad, then with a lighter shade of black or charcoal shade, blend it in with the black. Gives a very nice smoky look, and if you get to much black, just use a cotton bud, and clean up the area, it also smooths everything out. I know this look is not for everyone, but it can be transitioned from day to night with just a little touch up and drama. Upper lid, I use L'Oreral liquid lineur with a brush tip. It takes some practice to get a nice even line, but the effect works great with false lashes.

Now, I have always wondered, is why some people put there foundation on first, then do the eyes, when it can be tarnished by eye liner/ shadow/ mascara mistakes.
    I know a lot of people do it that way and some do not. While trying both methods, I found it easier to do my eyes first, clean up the area then primer/foundation, since I do not put foundation under my lower lid area any way, it just shows the creases, at least for myself.
    Just my thoughts, concerning what works for me, and it took some time to find that out...LOL ;)

Huggs....Tammy

<p>A life without purpose, is a life without reason!</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;myspace.com/tammybrianne</p>
      March 24, 2011 5:03 AM GMT
  • Tammy, thank you for your post. You are right about foundation being tarnished by eye-make-up mistakes, but in this case I just clean with make-up remover and re-apply. I just got used to applying foundation first before doing my eyes. Maybe I'm afraid of tarnishing my eye make-up with foundation mistakes!

April 18, 2011 6:04 AM BST
  • Gee Tammy, what defects?

Us "older ladies" have no defects!! - we just choose to visually alter certain areas of our face...on a regular basis.Cool

Hugs

Doanna

<p>Doanna Highland</p>
      May 7, 2011 9:58 AM BST
  • I have recently discovered liquid eyeliner. Rimmel is the one I am using. It comes with a very precise applicator, and it goes on very smoothly. I don't think I'll be going back to the pencils anytime soon.
    -Jessi-
      February 25, 2012 3:23 PM GMT
    great tips girls! personally..i used to strive for that linear perfection, but now i actually deliberately smudge the lower line to give it a softer effect (kinda like the smokiness Tammy mentioned). like everything, it takes practise and you need to be subtle..but a little softening makes a huge difference for me! oh and i use liquid and pencil!
      March 17, 2012 8:59 PM GMT
  • Wow, glad to see things working out Debbie. Do you use false eye lashes? They make a huge difference at least for myself, and a good spot to use that liquid liner where the false lash meets the eye lash lid, to cancel the lash line, it makes putting false lashes on more forgiving. Huggs ...Tammy

Oh BTW, do you use a smudge brush? It really does make things easier, and a nice blended finish look.

<p>A life without purpose, is a life without reason!</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;myspace.com/tammybrianne</p>
    This post was edited by Tammy Brianne at March 18, 2012 7:37 AM GMT
      March 18, 2012 7:32 AM GMT
    I do use false lashes Tammy! I don't feel dressed without them! The line on the false lash is a great tip too though I tend to soften it a little using either a smudging brush or even...wait for it...my little finger! Lol x
      March 18, 2012 2:00 PM GMT
    What size brush do I need to apply shadow evenly under my eyes? I just want a fine line of shadow, not a thick/wide smudge. Are the new gels any easier to use?
    BTW, a man and woman came over to view my (departed) mom's house to rent, and she was 32, perfect skin, and perfect eye makeup. My brother and sister are negotiating and all i could think of was I wanted to ask her how she got her shadow on so perfectly...I'll never know. Well, who knows, maybe we'll be "friends" someday!
      March 19, 2012 11:40 PM GMT
  • Hi Robin,

Here are some links to the type of brushes that might help you for a fine eye shadow line.

Also, as far as gels are concerned, I have not had to much luck with gels, and I have tried many, maybe some other girls in here have had good experience with them. I have always struggled with gels, they will flake and or dry up if you do not use them in a timely fashion.

Huggs Tammy

Small precision brush  http://www.eyeslipsface.com/studio/brushes/single-brushes/small_precision_brush

• Creates thin lines and precise coverage
    • Applies color evenly for small targeted areas.
    • Use to apply concealer, smooth on lip color, or line eyes

>>> Studio small angled brush.   http://www.eyeslipsface.com/studio/brushes/single-brushes/small_angled_brush

• Creates precise color application
    • Creates even, thin and straight lines every time
    • Use to apply lip color, eyebrow color, or to line eyes
      March 20, 2012 3:24 AM GMT
    Thanks Tammy!
      March 22, 2012 1:28 AM GMT
  • I have always had difficulty with Kohl pencils for lining the water line - after about an hour, the line was gone.

However, after a lot of testing, I have found one that does last (not all day, but for around 4 or 5 hours) and that is the the 'Master Drama' Kohl liner from Maybelline. Very intense black or if you want a more subtle shade, try one of the dark greys.

Around £3.50 from Boots
      July 31, 2012 7:59 AM BST
    kinda on topic i guess...whilst shopping in a "bargain" store recently i noticed eyeliner stickers!!! never heard of them before but was tempted..has anyone used them? heres a link to a similar product (cheapest one)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Simply-Gorgeous-Eyeliner-Tattoo-Stickers/dp/B008643SF6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_beauty_1
      November 23, 2012 9:11 PM GMT
  • Hello lovelies xo

I didn't see this tip here and wanted to offer some advice I received while shopping in the Sephora store. 

P.S. If you didn't already know about them (yes I know it's expensive) they will give you a free makeover and teach you tips and tricks :D

#1 for any makeup application, having the proper and quality brushes makes a world of difference. 

#2 by wetting your makeup brushes (eye shadow and using eyeshadow as liner) you can create a more dramatic look with richer color depth that stays!

#3 quality does matter.  You will never get the professional results from Revlon products.

#4 Dermablend is an amazing cover up!!!  It's a bit tricky to use at first, but once you get the hang, it's your BFF.

You know those little double ended sponge sticks that come with eyeliner?  What about those bacteria loving pads in the powder foundation compacts?  Well, you will never use one of those again once you have a nice brush set.  You will need:

Eye shader brush

This brush is used for packing color on the lid. You can also use the tip of the brush to smudge color under the lash line, or to create a defined line in the crease.

Stiff Dome Brush

This brush is great for feathering out color to create a smokey eye, or blending out the crease. The bristles are stiff, making it easy to move the eye shadow where you want it.

Pencil Brush

This pencil-like brush is perfect for precision shading on the lid, in the crease of the eye, or along the lash line. This brush can also be used for smudging liner along the lash line, or darkening the outer-v for a dramatic look.

Soft Dome Brush

This dome shaped brush has very soft bristles that make it ideal for blending out any harsh lines below the brow bone. This brush can also be used for blending out concealer under the eye to help hide dark circles and bags.

Bent Liner Brush

Designed specifically for applying gel eyeliner, this brush has a bent head that lays perfectly on the top of the lashes, and glides with ease. The pointed tip helps create a fool proof line that will have even the beginners pulling off a stunning cat eye.

Dual Ended Brow Brush

With this brush, you get double for your money! This dual ended brush has a spoolie on one end allowing you to brush through your brows. The other end has an angled brush which is ideal for effortlessly filling in your brows.

Angled Contour Brush

There are many of these on the market today in a various array of shapes and sizes. With this particular angled contour brush, you can swipe the brush downward diagonally from your cheekbone, and in one fluid motion achieve a flawless application.

Cheek Highlighter Brush

The cheek highlighter brush is completely optional, but the feathery, soft bristles give a very nice finish to any product used with it. This brush is very easy to use when applying a highlighter to the top of the cheekbones. You can also use the cheek highlighter brush with cream blushes to stipple the blush onto the cheeks.

Foundation Stippling Brush

The foundation stippling brush is perfect for those of you who love a full coverage look to your foundation. The large flat head is specifically made for the foundation to be stippled onto the face. This technique assures there are no streaks in the foundation, resulting in a flawless look to the skin.

Flat Foundation Brush

And finally!  My Secret weapon!  The beauty blender!!!

Technically, this isn’t really a brush, but it is a great tool and we didn’t want to leave it out. The egg-shaped design makes it ideal for getting under the eye and in other small areas you can easily miss with a brush. This is also used to achieve an overall airbrush finish to your foundation.

I hope you enjoyed!  xxoo

May 20, 2014 2:44 AM BST