Turkey in a bag

• April 7, 2011 6:18 AM BST

Hi All, ok this sounds crazy but it will be the best moist turkey you may ever cook.

I soak a  12-14lb  turkey over nite in a pot of salt water brine.  1 cup of salt mixed in water. I then remove turkey when im ready to cook and rinse it well,  then pat dry. Now I season it with Rose mary,garlic, a little onion powder and a few spices that i like for flavor.

Set turkey aside

Next I take a large brown paper bag from grocery store and i rub melted butter completely in side and out of bag.(this is to keep the bag from burning and seal in  moister.

I now carefully place turkey into bag and roll up the end to seal it. place in a pan.( just roll and tuck under. now we all know how to do that!)

cook @ 350 degrees  usally for 2 -21/2 hrs depending on how large the bird is. just follow cooking instructions per pound.

carefully remove turkey from oven and be very carefull when you open bag. there will be  hot steam coming out.  Your turkey should be golden brown,tender and moist.

Remove turkey   from bag to platter then serve so guests dont see the bag and they will think you slaved all day cooking the perfect turkey.

enjoy

• 1017 posts
    April 7, 2011 5:13 PM BST

Hi Rondalynn,

I'd heard of this method but assumed it was either a joke or impossible. Buttering the bag does make sense.

Thanks for sharing.

Best, Mellie

• April 14, 2011 8:22 PM BST

OK, Since I had turkey on my mind figured I'd cook one so here is a pic of a 13lb turkey  cooked 2 1/2 hrs @ 350 degrees.

• 364 posts
    April 15, 2011 5:30 AM BST

I usually buy oven bags at the supermarket. Instructions are on the packet including weight/cooking time etc. Instructions are to put flour in the bag and give it a shake before putting the meat in. After sealing the bag you use a skewer to make 6 holes (to allow the steam to escape. I use the bags for all large quantities of meat. No dirty ovens,

• 364 posts
    April 15, 2011 5:33 AM BST

I usually buy oven bags at the supermarket. Instructions are on the packet including weight/cooking time etc. Instructions are to put flour in the bag and give it a shake before putting the meat in. After sealing the bag you use a skewer to make 6 holes (to allow the steam to escape. I use the bags for all large quantities of meat. No dirty ovens,

• April 15, 2011 5:50 PM BST

Yes that is true, you can use a plastic cooking bag and it will cook a turkey too. This paper bag trick is much better and far more flavorable turkey. I have 2 family members who are working chefs and I can produce much more flavorable turkey then they. Which blows there m ind. Only plastic in my kitchen is in the rubbish can. Plastic cooks into food no matter what and i dont like chemicals in my food.

• 364 posts
    April 16, 2011 7:24 AM BST

Unfortunately I am not a butter or margarine eater. How about virgin olive oil ? Why not ?

This post was edited by Joanne Lee at April 16, 2011 7:29 AM BST