Favorite Directors

Tags : None

There are certain directors who I will go out of my way to see any of their films, even the lesser ones, if given the chance.

For most of them I have all, or all available, of their movies in my personal Video Vault.

In no particular order:

Alfred Hichcock

Tim Burton

Fritz Lang

Buster Keaton

Sam Peckinpaw

Ken Russell

Edgar G. Ulmer

Orson Welles

David Lynch

James Whale

Joel (& Ethan) Coen

Tod Browning

Stanley Kubrick

Quentin Tarantino

Ed D. Wood, Jr.

Preston Sturges

Charlie Chaplin

Erich Von Stroheim

(oops, I forgot) Terry Gilliam

There are lots of other directors whose work I admire/love/respect, but the list above are, to me, the most interesting.

Anyone want to add to or challenge my list?

Best, Mellie

<p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
    This post was edited by Melody Anders at May 12, 2011 9:10 PM BST
      May 12, 2011 6:28 PM BST
  • am surprised u missed kevin smith off the list! pretty much agree with the rest, especially Keaton, my fave comic actor/director. Would add Tati and Leni Refenstal though shes not PC these days.

May 12, 2011 7:38 PM BST

Hi maryanne,

Have to admit I'm not familiar with Kevin Smith (not the frist time a huge gap in my knowledge has been pointed out: Mere mentioned Peter Greenaway on fb - I'd only known him for  The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover). Do you mean the fellow who directed Clerks. and Mallrats?

I think Keaton doesn't get the recognition he deserves because of his less than spectacular sound films which weren't directed by him.

Jacques Tati was indeed brilliant, I have all his films except Jour de fête. Wish there was more out there to look forward to seeing.

Leni Refenstal is an interesting case. I have no use for the Nazi propaganda, but Triumph of the Will and the Olympias are brilliant filmmaking. The "mountain" pictures of the early thirties and Lowlands/Tiefland don't impress me as more than competent filmmaking - Just my opinion.

Best, Mellie

<p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      May 12, 2011 8:31 PM BST
  • smith is mallrats, clerks, dogma, and imho chasing amy is best movie so far. Keaton's  sound films....well the features were particularly bad because he was teamed with jimmy durante,,,as he said in my wonderful world of slapstick i didnt talk, durante did nothing else but! Keatons sound shorts for Education and columbia at least had some of his greatest input into sound films. Triumph of the Will is ab amazing film,,,,still,,,,i have a copy, i suppose from this distance of history no one saw, or reported, that if you replace guys marching with shovels with guys with guns, you have an army? I find refenstal interesting, she was never a nazi member, just a film maker,,,,and only 11 yrs ago we were interviewed by a sunday times reporter who interviewed ms refenstal 3 yrs before, who was still adament she wasn't a nazi!

May 12, 2011 10:56 PM BST
  • dunno why it came out that big!!!!!

May 12, 2011 10:57 PM BST