"What size am I?"

• 2573 posts
    May 25, 2011 7:55 PM BST

This is a shopping dillema that GGs face every time they buy clothing for a new brand or even a new season.

Vanity Sizing means you can be in a range of sizes from a 4 to a 10, depending on the manufacturer.  A recent news hour included a  segment on this issue that will leave you only as confused as a GG about your women's clothing sizes.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/242574/abc-nightline-tue-may-17-2011#play-queued-show-by-original_premiere_date-asc

It shows a new product, operating in one place, that takes 200,000 measurements of your body.  Could this become the new "size" benchmark for the future?

This post was edited by wendy larsen at May 25, 2011 7:57 PM BST
  • October 3, 2011 9:03 AM BST

Surely the problem is more "what sizeS am I".  For instance, anything I get to cover my shoulders has to be size 18 UK, my bra I know and thAT IS 38b. I can wear size 16 slips with ease and sometimes size 14.  Skirts and trousers: size 14 if they have a waist going to 36". Knickers? usually size 16.

Now size 18 skirts are definitely too big, but a size 18 dress hangs badly because of my shape.  I suppose you'll tell me to get padding to make me the same shape as a girl, but then I don't want too much stuff keepong the fabrics and movement off my skin.

Anyone else have this dilemma?

• October 24, 2011 6:10 AM BST

I HATE sizes!  i can wear size 12 or even 10 designer stretch jeans, but i have to buy size 16 dresses to fit, and any formal or bridal?  18-22! 

A Chinese made cheongsam has to be 3xl  to fit. 

my actual size? 42-36-41. 

I'm somewhat muscular, solid chest, but relatively thin arms and shoulders.  The best thing you can do is have someone help you measure, and then ask for actual inches when you ask for size. 

One great tip- buy large.  A garment that is a big big will look better on you than one that is too tight.    Deal with the fact you are not a model, and do not have that body.  Most women have to deal with it too-  get the size that fits comfortably. 

it takes a lot of practice.  Sizes that run large:  jeant, pants.  sizes that tend to run small:  skirts, leather, dresses.