Chicken / Poblano Chili Enchiladas......

• September 19, 2011 11:49 PM BST

I was creating some new dishes in the kitchen
    Sunday afternoon and   I made some Chicken Enchiladas in a white Poblano Chili sauce. 

Loosely based on a Rick Bayless recipe.  

Most of my friends who visit realize that I quite often try a new dish out on them.  (So far all my friends have actually enjoyed being experimented on). (They also liked the food... lol)

In this case everyone thought the Enchiladas turned out great!

Hope everyones day is going well and here is the Recipe

Hugs,
    Michelle

Poblano / Chicken Enchilada's

1 lb chicken
    10 Corn Tortillas

1  cup Chicken Broth
    1  cup Milk
    3 tblspoons corn starch

3 large Poblano Chili's
    1/2 cup diced onion
    1 tblspoon crushed garlic

2 tblspoons of olive oil

Branch of Cilantro or very small can of sliced black olives for Garnish.
    1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Can of spray olive oil to lightly dust the corn tortillas

Preparation

1. Cook the chicken breasts until done (I use a microwave steamer bag for 5 min), but you can grill on th BBQ.
       Dice or shred the chicken breasts and set aside for later.

2. Roast the Poblano peppers until somewhat toasty on the outside, set aside to cool
        and then peel the outside skin when done. Then Cut into strips.. (I did this on the BBQ as the aroma can get strong).

3. Sautee the onions is 2 tablespoons of oil until golden, along with the crushed garlic.

4. For the sauce,
         - pour the milk and chicken broth into the pan and bring to a mild boil.
         - Add , white pepper and 1 tblspoon of the cornstarch to slightly thicken.
         - As the sauce begins to thicken, take off the heat and transfer to a blender.
         - on a low blender setting, add the sauteed onion/garlick and the sliced Poblano peppers.
         - Continue to blend until the peppers are fully diced / blended into the mixture.
         - If you want to kick it up a notch or 2 (spice wise) add a whole jalapenjo or a habanero pepper

into the mix and blend until fully mixed.

5. For the Corn Tortillas, preheat oven to 350 - place a cookie sheet on the counter and
        spray each tortilla with a light dusting of olive oil.  Put in the preheated oven for about 4 min      

max until warm. (They will begin to blister when ready).

Assembling the dish

6.  Pour 1/2 of the sauce into the chicken and gently mix.

7. Now take each corn tortilla and place the chicken/sauce mixture on each and roll to form the enchilada and
        place in the baking dish. Repeat for all 10 corn tortillas.

8. Top with the remaining sauce , add shredded cheddar cheese if needed and put in the oven until the cheese melts (about 5-6 min @ 350 f)

9. Garnish with Cilantro or Olives....

Suggested Side dishes....

Black Bean Refried beans (avail in can form)
        Rice made with Chicken stock (instead of water ) and 2 piches of Saffron for color and flavor.
         (In rice cooker - 1 cup rice 1 1/2 cup chicken stock and 2 pinches of Saffron).

Wine
        A nice Hearty Zinfandel or an alternative would be Margaritas depending on your mood.

Enjoy