Transgender Dressing Services

• November 14, 2011 9:20 PM GMT

So what do we think of transgender dressing services girls?

Are they good/ bad?

Are they an important part of trangenderism or just a way of cashing in on

What could be better about them?

Which are the best?

Is it important for them to be staffed by a transgender person or are understanding women OK or better?

Please feel free to have your say and get your opinion across on anything to do with transgender dressing services!

• November 15, 2011 5:31 AM GMT

Ive never been to one, but I can see the attraction for girls who aren't able to dress fully at home for whatever reason, but I'd also be wary of people prepared to cash in on someone elses vulnerability.  I suppose there are good and bad.

• November 15, 2011 12:04 PM GMT

The photos I've seen tend to make everyone look the same depending on which place you go to. The seem to have a certain style and fit everyone into it. Having said that, I would love a professional makeover to see how I would look like with my makeup done properly!

• 374 posts
    November 15, 2011 12:59 PM GMT

I would love to have a professional makeover one day.  I would do a little research first as there are so many transformation salons out there with quite a range of services and prices.  I would also have to be realistic with the results...in other words I wouldn't expect to be able to look like a 21 year old super model!  But it would just be great to be pampered by a professional make-up artist and learn a few new tips/techniques.  It wouldn't matter if the make-up artist was transgendered, male or female, as long as they were friendly and polite.

Hugs & kisses,

Monika 

• November 15, 2011 1:27 PM GMT

Hey Heather, that's interesting, i'd never really considered it as being the place that was important, I thought it was the service itself i.e. the makeover / photograph, how to wear the clothes etc.

I suppose for some totally closeted tgirls with a wife and family or who live at home the 'place' to relax once dolled up would be important.
    I were at scenario I think I'd opt for going to a hotel room and dolling myself up though becuase I have my own wardrobe and I'm good at makeup.

I went to a service years ago when I was only recently out but mainly to learn how to do my makeup better. I took my own clothes and got dressed and went out in broad daylight with my friend who picked me up and then we went out that night!

• November 15, 2011 7:58 PM GMT

Penny, Monika,

First, Penny I know what you mean about a 'house look' Ive noticed it too. I guess its difficult for the dressing service not to fall into that trap in trying to speed makeovers up and in trying to make them as cheap as possible.

Monika, I agree dressing services aren't miricle workers! That said you both look lovely by the way girls, I wish GS allowed more photos per profile don't you?

From personal experience, having your makeup done by a pro and then learning to be pro yourself is so much better and has incredible results in comparison to fumbling along on your own. For me going to a dressing service, I visited Jodie Lynn at The Boudior years ago and then later having a 3 day makup course with Charles Fox made me so confident and the results were amazing in comparison to my own attempts. After that I've had 3 years doing it for myself for my act of course!

And to all of you, you can have your own pro dressing/makeover! Pay to go to one of the many services that are out there! Also, the reason I'm interested in everyone's opinion is that I am starting my own dressing service with a RG friend who has 10 yrs styling experience and a pro photographer. We've done a competition in the latest Frock Magazine and we're offering 6 free makeover's - some have already been won but there are some left so go and enter! http://bit.ly/gsfrock

Getting back on theme, what do you think of the photography of the services? Would you like to have photos infront of a plain white background or would you like an elaborate set more like a magazine shoot? Or somewhere inbetween? Its not a cheap service to put on, would you be prepared to pay more for a location or a 'set' shoot or doesn't it matter? x

• November 15, 2011 8:10 PM GMT

I have NO idea what I did there! So the link to the free Frock Magazine that our free makeover competition is in is here!: http://bit.ly/gsfrock

• November 15, 2011 11:46 PM GMT

Poppy, I don't like the white backgrounds....floating in nothingness.... I much prefer a background of some sort, whether elaborate or not probably doesn't matter.

(Re. photos on GS, I agree that it would be nice to see more. However, I've got over 1500 on flickr so can't complain! lol)

• 374 posts
    November 17, 2011 1:06 PM GMT

Poppy, thank you for the nice compliment and good luck with your new dressing service!

Hugs & kisses,

Monika

• 374 posts
    November 17, 2011 1:10 PM GMT

By the way Poppy, you also look very lovely!!

• November 17, 2011 10:04 PM GMT

Hi Penny,

Thanks for feedback. I created the site with a view of making it minimal and like a gallery where the focus is on the words and most importantly the photography. I take your point though and will have a look into some subtle patterened design.

Would love to hear what you think of the photos and the services we offer? There are links on the site to our flickr page too.

Re photos on GS, I found you on flickr, nice smile
    What made you decide not to have a profile picture here on GS out of interest?

• November 17, 2011 10:09 PM GMT

Hey Monika,

thanks for the compliments and well wishes

Would love to hear what you think of our services and photography on the site? You said yourself you'd love a pro makeover, what can I do in terms of improving my site and services to entice you if ever you were to take that step?

I really appreciate the feedback girls.

Has anyone ever had a bad experience at a dressing service and if so what was it?

Also, we're in another economic meltdown, what do you think is a fair price to pay for a transformation for example?

• 374 posts
    November 18, 2011 6:24 PM GMT

Hi Poppy, I just checked out your site.  It looks great hon...the photos are beautiful!!  I can't think of anything else you could do to improve the site at this point...it's very well designed.  I'm sure as you continue with it you'll probably make a few changes...but it really looks fabulous now...and so do you!!  Hon, I love your taste in clothes & make-up!!  As for prices for transformations, I'd look at some of the other places and try to be competitive...maybe slightly lower prices to get some business in...treat your clients well...and then word of mouth is the best kind of advertising!!

Hugs & kisses,

Monika

• November 18, 2011 7:09 PM GMT

Hi Poppy,

How do I get to see your site? I'd love to see it.

Regarding my profile, I took my pic off to replace it with a newer one... unfortunately it hasn't allowed me, something to do with the work on the site.

(If you want to see any more of my pics on flickr, add me as a contact and Ill add you as a friend.)

• November 21, 2011 3:21 PM GMT

Hey Penny,

I've already added you as a contact on flickr from the new StylemeQuirky profile.

Yes I hear there are major site works going on.

My site is at www.stylemequirky.com - you commented on what you thought of it! If you mean my DJ site, that is at www.popcox.com

Pops

• November 21, 2011 4:19 PM GMT

Thanks again Moinika *blush*

Glad you like it, lots of girls have connected to me over the last few years and it inspired me to launch StylemeQuirky inspired by my tastes and skills in makeup and dressing. I was rubbish at it when I started and I know just how deep and strongly we feel. I've dressed up a couple of TV friends in the past and both were really moved - I'd love to make a business out of it and bring my skills and experience to share with others, everyone is beautiful, individual and quirky, lets celebrate it! Life is too short to feel as strongly as we do about being trans without getting professional makup and styling help and putting in the effort to learn and develop and be the best we can be, I feel its such an important part of developing as a happy t-girl.

I have 3 winners from the 6 free Quirkover's we were giving away in the current issue of Frock: http://bit.ly/gsfrock and I'm already loving working more with the community, the winners are thrilled with winning and super excited about their makeovers and I am too! Why don't you enter girls!?!? Even if you don't win we're offing a discount to everyone who enters.

I totally agree Monika, I want to do a great job of the free competition winners and I'm hoping their experience with me and my team and resulting photography will make them want to tell their friends about us.

To do any of this of course I need interest and support from the community so lease tell your girl friends about this thread and ask them to comment. and give their feedback. The Trannyshack gallery will be going live this week on the site hopefully and all being well I'm taking my team to Club Alternative on Friday to mett people, spread the word and take photos.

Pops

• 11 posts
    February 10, 2016 10:08 PM GMT

Hey girls,

Well that's weird. Tried to log back on recently and my account has somehow been deleted :s Mayne they get deleted after a certain amount of time.

Hope all are well!

Pops x

• 374 posts
    February 15, 2016 10:30 PM GMT

Hi Poppy, it's been a while.  Hope all is going well with you hon!

Hugs, Monika xoxoxo

• 11 posts
    February 15, 2016 10:37 PM GMT

Hey Monika!

Hope you are well? 

Yes its been years, literally, several of them!

Things starting to go good again thanks for asking

Pops x

• February 15, 2016 11:47 PM GMT

just wonder if there is any of these shops state side

• 11 posts
    February 16, 2016 10:17 AM GMT

there must be something similar out there. Search 'dressing service USA' or soemthing?

Good luck!

• 374 posts
    February 16, 2016 11:15 AM GMT

Hi Poppy, I am well thanks!  Michelle, there are numerous dressing services in the U.S.  Like Poppy said, you should be able to find a bunch online if you do a search.  

Hugs, Monika

• 11 posts
    February 16, 2016 11:39 AM GMT

have you had a look at my site recently Monika? You've been gazumpled off the galleries now I'm afraid! You'll have to come back for another sesh to get back on ;P

Jokes apart, since last Sept, moved into perfect new live work studio premises and finally giving SmQ the push I've always wanted to. Things ahave come a very long way in terms of quality and service since those first tentative steps when you visited all those years ago. Would lvoe some feedback on the site, services etc.

Also keen for any suggestions. I came up with a live video makeover lessons idea for those girls who couldn't get to or afford a 1 to 1 makeup lesson

Pops x

• 374 posts
    February 16, 2016 12:10 PM GMT

Poppy, I just had a look at your site...honey it looks fabulous!  Very nicely done...great photos!  The live video makeover lessons sound cool...although there are quite a few Youtube videos out there on make-up lessons and male to female transformations that people can access for free.  I've never had a 1 to 1 transformation session...would love to one day...maybe visit your place one day??

Hugs, Monika

PS:  what exactly does "gazumpled" mean?  Lol!!

• 11 posts
    February 16, 2016 4:15 PM GMT

Means 'had a higher offer' or 'swindled'

I just cleared out a load of old photos to put new ones up showing off the vastly improved service from makeup and styling to photography.

Glad you like it.

We do 1-to-1 makeovers, lessons, anything you want hon, you are welcome any time!

Kind of my point though, 1-to-1 makeup lessons aren't cheap, mine start at £100. On the other hand there are thousands of youtube videos out there for free. 

I thought there might be girls who had tried the videos and still struggle. Or who can't recreate the look created by the tutor in the video. The other thing is a large majority of the videos feature genertic females in their 20's, sometimes guys around the same age. The challenges and the techniques required for any guy 30 up are distinctly different from seeing a pretty young lady doing her makeup.

So I fifured it was a cheaper hopefully fun interactive way for a small group of girls 4-6 to learn by example and get to ask questions in real time and have me give them feedback and advice. A video on the net won't tell you if you are holding your brish all wrong for example.

Pops x

• 374 posts
    February 20, 2016 2:07 PM GMT

So thats' what "gazumpled" means?  Never heard of the word before you mentioned it...learn something new every day...lol!  And yes Poppy, you make some good points about the free Youtube videos...most make up videos do feature genetic females in their 20's or very feminine looking young men who are professional drag performers or models.  There definately is a need for make up videos for older folks, like myself, as some of the techniques and products used are different for sure.  Sounds like you are on the right track hon, good luck with it!!

Hugs, Monika xoxox

• 11 posts
    February 21, 2016 9:55 AM GMT

Kind of used it fairly loosely, sort of mean 'relegated' I suppose

Cheers for the feedback. Any yes, thinking about it, if I were to develop it, I think I would group clients by age. I.e. no point having 2 client in their late 40's and one in his early 20s and teaching them the same techniques as they are different.

Pops x

• 11 posts
    May 26, 2016 9:59 AM BST

Hey girls,

FYI I need a model for a full makeover and photos, details here; http://gendersociety.com/forums/topic/10253/crossdresser-drag-full-makeover-amp-photos-model-filming/view/post_id/73005

Get in touch via http://www.stylemequirky.com/contact-us/ for more info or if you want to model

Pops x

• 15 posts
    June 6, 2016 11:24 PM BST

My sense of style is too quirky for something like that. I have a feeling they'd make me look like a doll or something. No thanks.

• 11 posts
    June 10, 2016 10:14 AM BST
    Katie Conley said:

My sense of style is too quirky for something like that. I have a feeling they'd make me look like a doll or something. No thanks.

Er, service is called Style Me 'Quirky'. They don't decide, I do. All the same thanks for your preconceptions, I'll strike you off the list