Can we just talk about it?

• April 2, 2012 1:39 AM BST

So this is going to be an interesting post. I think maybe talking about the transition process could be educational for some members that are unsure of what they need to do or how to go about start that chapter of their lives. I may be way out of line in this but if I am please feel free to tell me so and I will either delete or edit whatever is unacceptable. 

So you've figured out you're transgender and you don't know what to do next? Well assuming that you've thought about this long and hard and are ready to start the process you should get into seeing a therapist. 

I personally picked my therapist because she has gone through this process previously before with other FTM's and had an understanding of what I needed. Most any therapist will be willing to help with this but I wanted someone that knew all the steps. 

After you go through therapy depending on where you are you may have to be there for 3months to a year before the therapist can give you a referral letter. This magic letter is what gets you started on the way to HRT/T.The letter you get will go to an Endocrinologist. This is the person that actually writes the script as well as monitors your T/HRT over the next year or so to make sure you're not under dosing or over dosing on the hormone. This person is very important and you need them. They will do blood work about every 3months to make sure that T/HRT isn't doing harm to your body. 

I want to stop a moment and just talk about something very important. Please for the love of all that is holy do NOT self-medicate. I know that the process is a long one full of struggles but self-medicating will do more damage than good. 

With following the process and having a therapist and an endo you are being healthy and protecting yourself. I understand that to some people 3months to a year sounds like forever away. However if you don't follow the process correctly you could very well not make it 3months to a year with self-medicating that is. 

Now I know this isn't the full process down to the smallest detail but it's a pretty general run-down of what's to be expected. I again want to say please don't self-medicate. 

Love yourself and protect yourself. 

-Cole

This post was edited by Former Member at April 2, 2012 2:14 AM BST
  • April 19, 2012 7:13 PM BST
    Cole, I'm a bigendered girl in high school and I am hopeing to do a transition to male. Can you help?
    • 77 posts
    May 6, 2013 9:36 PM BST

I have started the process and could possible help you with getting started what questions do you have?

• 77 posts
    May 6, 2013 9:37 PM BST

I agree with Cole this is very important advise DONT SELF MEDICATE. This can cause bone loss and liver damage. I know it is a long process and can be very expensive and hard to find the people you need to get your transition going, but self medicating is harmful and can cause you a lot of damage and prevent you from reaching your full transition goal.