Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Coming Out » Transgender: Coming out to your Parents (survey)

Transgender: Coming out to your Parents (survey)

Tags : None
  • I have got the impression over the years that how you tell your parents does seem to have an outcome over whether you were accepted or not. I wonder if this is actually borne out in fact. I tried to create a survey on here but it does not allow me to do so, therefore I have had to resort to Survey Monkey in order to do this.
    No personal information is gathered during the survey and I have turned off the ability for the survey to gather and store IP addresses, so it is completely anonymous.
    By gathering this information, it might be possible to advise those who have yet to come out to their parents, the best way of doing this.
    Thank you for all those who decide to take part.

Click here to take survey

This post was edited by Former Member at April 13, 2012 9:30 PM BST
      April 13, 2012 9:28 PM BST
  • Well, early days yet (just 29 responses so far, one of which was not included) but the trends are very revealing.
    20 out of the 28 people who have responded (74%) came out to their parent(s) face to face - and of those over three quarters (76%) have found acceptance by their parent(s) with only 24% rejecting them.
    8 out of the 28 people who have responded (26%) came out to their parent(s) via a letter or email - and of those that chose to do it this way almost 90% (87%) were rejected and 'outlawed' by their parent(s) and other member of their families.
    Obviously these results don't tell the whole story and a survey needs to be designed in the future which will digs a little deeper into things and I would have to get my maths text books out of the locker and revise all I learned about statistical analysis in order to understand if these are statistically significant from such a small sample.
      April 14, 2012 5:38 PM BST