InHouse Pharmacy - GS advertiser on homepage?

• 95 posts
    April 14, 2012 12:44 PM BST

Hi everyone,

repeating a question posted on homepage, but USA specific......has anyone done business with them? Reputation OK? Productics authentic? Any trouble with delivery, ie. customs? Much cheaper than Costco...Thanks!

-Robin  ; D

• 95 posts
    May 2, 2012 1:30 AM BST
    Thanks Chrissy, I see my psych MD end of May, so I hope he will start me then, though his timetable may be far different than I want.
    Robin xoxo
    • 746 posts
    May 2, 2012 5:08 AM BST
    Compared to getting a script from a doctor and filling it at a local pharmacy, InHouse is VERY expensive...maybe 6-10 times as much...just depends on your local source. xoxo
    • 95 posts
    May 5, 2012 3:28 PM BST
    Hmmmmm. Ok thanks Traci. Maybe I chose a brand-name and not generic. More research!
    -Robin xoxo
    • 746 posts
    May 5, 2012 10:34 PM BST
    Generic, brand...doesn't matter, InHouse will cost you a LOT more than going thru your doctor for a prescription, then filling that prescription at a local pharmacy. InHouse is terrific for the DIY set though...
    xoxo
  • September 23, 2012 8:43 PM BST
    In house is legitimate and their hormones are genuine, with that being said I do agree with a post above that their hormones will cost more than a script from a local doctor.
    • 364 posts
    September 24, 2012 11:51 PM BST
    Any hormones purchased without a script will cost more.I have been dealing with them for a few years and have nothing but praise for the quality and delivery.
    • 0 posts
    December 30, 2012 11:12 AM GMT
    Hi
    They have some products that are not available in some countries. For example, Premarin Cream cannot be purchased in Australia but is readily available at a reasonable cost from Inhouse Pharmacy. I have also recently purchased Diane-35 and found the cost comparable to what I have been paying on prescription.
    Of course, this doesn't mean that some products may appear and indeed are overpriced. Buyer beware!

Chalice
    • 746 posts
    December 30, 2012 6:52 PM GMT
    Chalice...not sure who is advising you, but do at all costs avoid Diane-35 and Premarin...totally outdated methods that could even hurt you...(Diane).
    • 0 posts
    January 3, 2013 4:05 AM GMT
    Traci Lee O'Gara said:
    Chalice...not sure who is advising you, but do at all costs avoid Diane-35 and Premarin...totally outdated methods that could even hurt you...(Diane).

Hi Traci and thanks for your concern.

My endocrinologist prescribes Diane-35. Unless you know something that he doesn't I will continue to keep it in my armament. Diane-35 contains an anti-androgen and an estrogen, specifically cyproterone acetate 2mg and ethinyl estradiol 0.035mg respectively.

I am aware of the risks in taking oral estrogens but we do not have patches or injectable estrogens available here. But if you are going to make sweeping statements, then you should provide your reasons for doing so. I would be very interested in what your concerns are! 

Respectfully

Chalice

• 364 posts
    January 3, 2013 5:08 AM GMT

Chalice According to Google patches are available in Oz, distributed by Novartis, North Ryde. Although I get my supply from Inhouse Pharmacy. Biz the product comes from Novartis. Estrogen implants are difficult to obtain but are obtainable from a source in Sydney. I note that you have already contributed to the Forum thread Hormones -= Diane-35 etc and read the pitfalls associated with it.  Regards

This post was edited by Joanne Lee at January 3, 2013 5:32 AM GMT
    • 0 posts
    January 3, 2013 7:01 AM GMT
    Joanne Lee said:

Chalice According to Google patches are available in Oz, distributed by Novartis, North Ryde. Although I get my supply from Inhouse Pharmacy. Biz the product comes from Novartis. Estrogen implants are difficult to obtain but are obtainable from a source in Sydney. I note that you have already contributed to the Forum thread Hormones -= Diane-35 etc and read the pitfalls associated with it.  Regards

Hi Joanne.

My oversight about patches, I was being lazy.

I have had implants and they were easily obtained although getting them put in by your local GP is a veritable PITA. It would be great if we had injectible estrogen, once a month injections or whatever, as the estrogen would also bypass the liver.

I will look at the Forum thread Hormones but I don't go much on heresay even the best support sites like Transgender Care http://www.transgendercare.com/ seem to have an overstated view on how to proceed.

Lets see if they've given any references.

HNY

Love

Chalice     

This post was edited by Former Member at April 16, 2013 11:22 AM BST
    • 0 posts
    January 3, 2013 7:22 AM GMT

Hi

Its probably best to go straight the horse's mouth.

The manufacturer gives this advice.

Do not take Diane-35 ED if you have an allergy to:

• ethinyloestradiol and/or cyproterone acetate the active ingredients in Diane-35 ED
    • any of the ingredients listed at the end of this leaflet.

Some of the symptoms of an allergic reaction may include:

• shortness of breath
    • wheezing or difficulty in breathing
    • swelling of the face, lips, tongue or other parts of the body
    • rash, itching or hives on the skin.

Do not take Diane-35 ED if you have or have had a blood clot in:

• the blood vessels of the legs (deep vein thrombosis)
    • the lungs (pulmonary embolism)
    • the heart (heart attack)
    • the brain (stroke)
    • other parts of the body.

Do not take Diane-35 ED if you are concerned about an increased risk of blood clots.

Blood clots are rare. Very occasionally blood clots may cause serious permanent disabilities, or may even be fatal.

You are more at risk of having a blood clot when you take the Pill. But the risk when taking the Pill is less than the risk during pregnancy.

Do not take Diane-35 ED if you are concerned about an increased risk of blood clots because of age or smoking.

The risk of having a heart attack or stroke increases as you get older. It also increases if you smoke. You should stop smoking when taking the Pill, especially if you are older than 35 years of age.

Do not take Diane-35 ED if you have, or have had:

• angina pectoris or chest pain
    • severe kidney insufficiency or an acute failure of your kidney
    • migraine, accompanied by visual symptoms, speech disability, or weakness or numbness in any part of your body
    • diabetes mellitus with blood vessel damage
    • pancreatitis (an inflammation of the pancreas) associated with high levels of fatty substances in your blood
    • jaundice (yellowing of the skin)
    • severe liver disease
    • cancer that may grow under the influence of sex hormones (e.g. of the breast or the genital organs)
    • benign or malignant liver tumour
    • unexplained vaginal bleeding.

Personally, I have never smoked or have any of the other risk factors.  Maybe that's why my endocrinologist prescribed it for me.

Regards

Chalice

This post was edited by Former Member at September 2, 2014 12:02 PM BST
    • 364 posts
    January 3, 2013 8:54 AM GMT
    Unless he/she is inexperienced with transgendered persons
    • 364 posts
    January 3, 2013 8:56 AM GMT
    I get a great deal of information from the Yahoo Group Crone
    • 1652 posts
    January 3, 2013 10:40 AM GMT
    "Do not take Diane-35 ED if you are concerned about an increased risk of blood clots.

Blood clots are rare. Very occasionally blood clots may cause serious permanent disabilities, or may even be fatal.

You are more at risk of having a blood clot when you take the Pill. But the risk when taking the Pill is less than the risk during pregnancy."

Blood clots may be rare, but they have occurred with use of ethinylestradiol.
    Blood clots are even more rare (no proven risks) with 17-B estradiol. As a post-op TS, and therefore a long-term (rest of my life) hormone user, I would prefer to take something with a greatly decreased risk of death or disability, no matter how low that risk may be to start with.
    17-B estradiol is available in all forms: tablets, patches, gels, injections/implants.
    If your endo is prescribing you something proven to be more dangerous than this and you are happy not to question it or suggest a possible, safer alternative, then that is your call.
    There are safer, equally effective alternatives available to us all. As long as it's your decision and not someone else's.
    xx
    • 746 posts
    January 3, 2013 4:12 PM GMT
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC143555/

Diane-35 (cyproterone acetate): safety concerns:

Diane-35, an oral contraceptive with anti-androgen properties,
    has been heavily marketed to young women and has seen its Canadian sales jump by 45% between 2000 and 2001 alone.

However, many physicians may be unaware of concerns about the drug's safety profile and the fact that it is not approved for use solely as an oral contraceptive.

The UK Committee on the Safety of Medicines recently issued a warning on the drug's risk of venous thromboembolism,which was repeated verbatim by Health Canada in late December 2002.

The drug: Diane-35, which contains ethinylestradiol (35 μg) and cyproterone acetate (2 mg), provides effective birth control but is not indicated as such.

Cyproterone acetate has anti-androgen effects resulting in part from its blockade of androgen receptors, and Diane-35 is approved only as therapy for androgen-sensitive skin conditions,
    including hirsutism and severe acne unresponsive to oral antibiotic therapy.

Treatment with Diane-35 should be discontinued 3–4 menstrual cycles after a woman's skin condition has resolved.

Warnings to minimize a woman's exposure to the drug result in part from the association with venous thromboembolic disease.
    • 0 posts
    January 7, 2013 9:08 AM GMT

Hi All

Well, any medications are fraught with risks and Hormone Trestments are potentially a deadly cocktail.

Personally, I am not in any of the 'at risk' groups so I don't have those concerns: I don't smoke and never have, etc. etc.

But I have 18 weeks of Dianne-35 which will take me up to the Orchidectomy phase.

I am also using half a gram of Premarin cream nightly as a face cream.   

I hope I can allay any fears for my safety by stating that I will also be taking half or quarter of an aspirin each morning as a fail safe.

Love

Chalice.   

• 746 posts
    January 7, 2013 11:05 PM GMT
    Wish you well...as mentioned previously, there are better ways than how you're going about it!
  • February 22, 2013 1:17 AM GMT
    From what I have heard on the news not that long ago due to FDA Regulations any prescription medication purchased ANYWHERE without a prescription is against the law Just FYI.
    • 364 posts
    February 22, 2013 9:29 AM GMT
    My contact says medication without prescription can still be imported
    • 0 posts
    February 22, 2013 12:44 PM GMT

Hi

Recent comments appear contradictory, but the site displays a clear message.

To satisfy the requirements of Regulation 7 of the UK Medicines (Advertising) Regulations 1994, this site is not intended for those people who reside in the United Kingdom.
    Meds arrive in Australia without complications, although they never sent any syringes with my last order of injectibles. lol

Regards
    Chalice  
    • 1652 posts
    February 22, 2013 1:20 PM GMT
    I've looked into this and found that section 7 says:
    "...no person shall issue an advertisement which is likely to lead to the use of a relevant medicinal product which is a medicinal product for supply by prescription only and which is subject to any of the restrictions imposed by section 58(2) of the Act."
    I think basically this means that they aren't supposed to advertise some of their products to people in the UK. However, there is no law which states they may not *sell* their products to people in the UK, nor is there any law which says we may not buy them.
    Med's arrive in the UK without complications.
    Inhouse Pharmacy have a list of countries to which they can and will ship their products. Consult this list if you need to know if you can buy from them from within your own country.
    xx
    • 746 posts
    February 22, 2013 5:10 PM GMT
    They ship to the USA with no problems...
  • February 22, 2013 8:42 PM GMT
    Hmmm - more implications for Katie Glover then. As this site is UK based it would appear that she needs to look into whether the site can continue to accept advertisements from In House Pharmacy
  • February 22, 2013 9:16 PM GMT
    This is the link to the US Food & drug administration web site which clearly states

Quick Tips for Buying Online
    Make sure the site requires a prescription and has a pharmacist available for questions.
    Buy only from licensed pharmacies located in the United States. The National Association of Boards of Pharmacy has more information about licensing and its program to certify online pharmacies.
    Don't provide personal information such as credit card numbers unless you are sure the site will protect them.

13. Is it illegal for a foreign pharmacy to ship prescription medicines into the U.S.?

It is illegal for anyone, including a foreign pharmacy, to ship prescription drugs that are not approved by FDA into the U.S. even though the drug may be legal to sell in that pharmacy's country. Under the scheme that Congress established to ensure that drugs are safe and effective, drugs are tested and test results are thoroughly reviewed by FDA scientists. U.S. law also requires that products approved for sale in the United States have their formulation approved by FDA, be made in a plant registered with FDA, and be produced under quality standards enforced by FDA.

Prescription drugs available from a foreign pharmacy that are products that FDA has not approved; products with similar, but not identical formulations as FDA-approved products; products not made under the quality standards required by U.S. law or labeled according to U.S. requirements; or products not stored or distributed under the quality conditions required in the U.S. cannot be legally sold in the U.S.

here is the regulation
    • 364 posts
    February 22, 2013 9:57 PM GMT
    Chalice Brendale said:

Hi

Recent comments appear contradictory, but the site displays a clear message.

To satisfy the requirements of Regulation 7 of the UK Medicines (Advertising) Regulations 1994, this site is not intended for those people who reside in the United Kingdom.
    Meds arrive in Australia without complications, although they never sent any syringes with my last order of injectibles. lol

Regards
    Chalice  

• 364 posts
    February 22, 2013 9:57 PM GMT
    Chalice

Syringes can be bought from chemists in Oz.
    • 1652 posts
    February 22, 2013 10:55 PM GMT
    I just want to respond briefly...
    To Carol's point:
    This isn't a problem for Katie because she isn't advertising specific products here; Regulation 7 of the UK Medicines (Advertising) Regulations 1994 is not concerned with links to other websites, it refers directly to advertisers of specific medicines. Katie doesn't advertise medicines here.
    To Samantha's point:
    Inhouse are very careful not to break any laws; ie they only ship to countries where it is legal for then to do so. I am not aware of any of their hormone products, for example, which are not FDA approved.
    As far as I recall, Inhouse do not ship to Canada, amongst other countries, because it would be illegal for them to do so.
    In short, if they ship to your country it is entirely legal for them to do so, as it is for you to buy from them. If they were breaking any country specific laws, or they were causing any individual to break their country's own laws by buying from them, they would be taken to court and closed down.
    Buy in confidence from Inhouse; they are a reputable and law-abiding company.
    xx
  • February 23, 2013 12:26 AM GMT
    OK you guys are talking UK! This is the USA forum & this was directed to the US & technaly speaking if your in the us even though they delever here np your violaitng the federal U.S.F.D.A laws established for the safety of products.
  • February 23, 2013 12:50 PM GMT

Hi Lucy,

I think you might be wrong, but then I am not a lawyer and have never studied law, but the Section 7 specifically states (my emphasis):

"Subject to regulation 11, no person shall issue an advertisement which is likely to lead to the use of a relevant medicinal product which is a medicinal product for supply by prescription only and which is subject to any of the restrictions imposed by section 58(2) of the Act."

Regulation 11 is to do with advertising campaigns for vaccinations against diseases.

It is how the law would interpret an advert on this site, is it the Gender Society who is issuing the advert, or In House Pharmacy??  I think Cristine might have a better idea about this than either of us, or if she doesn't know, she will know somebody who can give her more informed advice.

Carol

• 1 posts
    April 9, 2013 9:36 PM BST
    to sort of stay with the thread. I have used inhouse and I find there service and products to be top notch. I am very grateful for their existence.
    • 0 posts
    April 10, 2013 9:16 AM BST

Joanne Lee said:
    Chalice Syringes can be bought from chemists in Oz.

Hi Joanne

Yes, I now know I can get alcohol swabs, guage 23 and 21 needles, and 5ml syringes at my family chemist for a fraction of what they cost online.

I currently get my meds online because it will save me thousands in the long run.

I have my endo oversee my DIY administration and he arranges the blood work.

All in all, a happy customer.

Chalice     

• 0 posts
    April 16, 2013 11:36 AM BST

Traci Lee O'Gara said:
    Compared to getting a script from a doctor and filling it at a local pharmacy, InHouse is VERY expensive...maybe 6-10 times as much...just depends on your local source. xoxo

Well Traci, this is simply not true, at least it is not the case in Australia.

The cost of buying 'Progynon Depot" from InHouse Pharmacy is comparable to the prices paid for it on a prescription. Needles, syringes, and alcohol swabs are around 50cents each, not much more.

InHouse Pharmacy provides a considerable cost saving because it allows me to bypass visits to a GP.

Each visit costs $70.

The first visit or consultation to obtain a script has no benefit to transitioning. Then a weekly visit to have the medications administered would follow and then continue for the duration of my transition.

I am certainly not paying $70 a week for my GP and another $200 each time I visit my endocrinologist.

The money I save can pay for my 'orchie'. lol 

Anyone who would advise that using InHouse Pharmacy is more expensive than getting a script from a doctor is not talking from experience.

Regards

CB   

• 746 posts
    April 16, 2013 4:45 PM BST
    It's different here in the US Chalice...
  • April 16, 2013 9:34 PM BST

The UK Human Medicines Regulations 2012  (SI 2012 /1916)

Part 14 (advertising) consolidates, with only minor and drafting amendments, the Medicines (Advertising) Regulations 1994, as amended, and the Medicines (Monitoring of Advertising) Regulations 1994, as amended. In doing so, it continues to implement Directive 2001/83/EC. Part 6 of the 1968 Act, which made parallel provision, is repealed, and the instruments made under it revoked.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2010:348:0074:0099:EN:PDF

As far as I can see, no specific drug is being advertised, and it is noted on this site.  ''
    To satisfy the requirements of Regulation 7 of the UK Medicines (Advertising) Regulations 1994, this site is not intended for those people who reside in the United Kingdom''.  ((as ammended))  is in comliance with the act.

I should imagine in the UK Customs and excise would be the first line of control for the declared import of various medicines and drugs.

Seperate FDA regulations are applicable to the USA,  different regulations for Canada. same goes for Australia, where it would seem customs and Import authories have lists of products they will not allow and some they will.

• 0 posts
    April 17, 2013 4:44 AM BST

Traci Lee O'Gara said:

Huh? I thought you were in Ireland.  

• 746 posts
    April 17, 2013 5:11 AM BST
    Ever look at my profile? (smile)
    • 6 posts
    August 6, 2013 11:59 PM BST
    Joanne Lee said:
    Any hormones purchased without a script will cost more.I have been dealing with them for a few years and have nothing but praise for the quality and delivery.

Hi. I am amazed to read that prescription hormones are as low as 6 times cheaper that those from InHouse; I live in Mexico and you cannot order from them but their prices are about half of what the hormones cost at the drugstore.

• 6 posts
    August 7, 2013 12:04 AM BST
    Joanne Lee said:

Hi. I am amazed to read that prescription hormones are as low as 6 times cheaper that those from InHouse; I live in Mexico and you cannot order from them but their prices are about half of what the hormones cost at the drugstore.

• 4 posts
    April 1, 2014 11:10 PM BST
    Traci Lee O'Gara said:
    How is it different?  I live in Kentucky.  So far, JUST to get on HRT (and it's not even a good start!) I've had to pay the following:
    endocrinologist A in Lexington, KY: $75 patient fee + $225 office visit
    * all she did was dismiss my suggestions of treating hairloss, saying "they're all junk, just go buy a wig..."
    * she gave me an order for bloodwork and told me to "shop around, good luck"
    Because I was so unhappy with the way things went I found another endo in Cincinnati, OH.  With him I paid the following:
    endocrinologist B in Cincinnati, OH: $75 patient fee + 43% ($153) of office visit
    * all he did was get my blood taken there and told me he would write up a script and send it to WalMart pharmacy, his stupid nurse couldn't even correctly submit the order after 3 tries, after I called the doctor's office enough times about it they just phoned in the order to pharmacy
    * and what did the doctor order (after I had told him that I've been on HRT before with no negative side effects)?
    1mg Estrace
    5mg Proscar .....that's it.
    This is all without insurance, of course, but even if I had insurance I would have had to pay for it all out of my pocket anyway just to meet my deductible, so ......
    it IS just as bad here in the USA. 
    • 746 posts
    April 1, 2014 11:44 PM BST

Kristy...sorry you've run into some obvious people who could care less about you.  That said, all you really needed to do to get a prescription is either call around to doctor's office and get a nurse practioner to write you a script or find a clinic that allows you file and sign an "implied consent" agreement, which basically means you understand the risks and are willing to do it anyways.  Don't give up so easily when you get crummy advice Kristy...it is YOUR life and the doctors work for you, not the other way around Kristy.  That's a few of the ways it is different Kristy!

Best wishes always...

Traci

• 4 posts
    April 2, 2014 2:33 AM BST

Traci, in this part of the country (Kentucky & Ohio) you're not going to be able to call around and get a nurse practicioner to write you a script.  It doesn't work that way.  They will set up an appointment to see a doctor who, after a conversation, may (unlikely unless you're already self-medicating) or may not write a script.  In almost all cases bloodwork will have to be drawn, and the results looked at, before a script will be written.  In my case the doctor did the bare minimum because he hasn't seen the bloodwork results yet.  Also, in this area there are no clinics that allows you to file and sign an "implied consent" agreement.  Not only do they not agree with that, but it does nothing to line their pockets.  They "have to see you first".  In my case the first doctor said she is not going to write ANY scripts (and will never write anything for treating hair loss) until she has seen bloodwork.  The second doctor said he he would see me in three months and that he'll go from there.  Sounds to me like the doctor is running the show.  What am I going to do, show up with a gun and make them write a script?  

• 746 posts
    April 2, 2014 2:43 AM BST

That stinks Kristy...many states do comply with the "implied consent" agreement today...how far are you from a major city?

Traci 

• 4 posts
    April 2, 2014 3:30 AM BST

What would you define as a major city?  The closest 'big cities' to me are Louisville, KY (2.5 hour drive), Indianapolis, IN (3 hour drive) and Cincinnati, OH (1.5 hour drive).

I think there is some confusion here as to what complied consent is.  Under the old WPATH 6.0 SOC you needed a letter of referral from a therapist in order for an endo to provide you with HRT (the dosages would be up to the endo/doctor).  Under the 7.0 SOC you don't need a therapist's letter, but doctor is still going to make the decision as to what meds/dosages he or she puts you on.  

In my case the only benefit the 7.0 SOC provides, if the doctor is going by the SOC, is that I don't need months and months of therapy before asking the doctor to put me on HRT.  

• 746 posts
    April 2, 2014 4:55 AM BST

Those are all major cities...and they ought to have clinics...and these clinics dipsense HRT easily via implied consent, especially if you have been self medicating.  I know there is a list out there in the 'net that lists such clinics, but I've ben unable to locate it for you.  I'll contact you if or when I find it.  

Traci

• 4 posts
    April 2, 2014 5:56 AM BST

Okay, thanks, Traci.  Someone over on reddit sent me to a list, but there is nothing closer than a 2 hr 40 min drive from me.  There is nothing in Kentucky, and nothing in Southern Ohio.  You simply have to set up an appointment and see the doctor.  If you have the bloodwork ready before you see the doctor, then you are in position to discuss meds and dosages.  If not, then it's basically a wasted visit and you will be at the mercy of the doctor when he or she sees the results of the bloodwork.  

• 746 posts
    April 2, 2014 6:08 AM BST

Yeah, I get that...bummer...it sux...

Best wishes always!

Traci

• 12 posts
    February 8, 2015 4:54 AM GMT

Hi girls, I am having issues with finding out the legality of obtaiing estrogens from outside Australia to self medicate.

Does anyone know if i can get some into Australia legally without going through GP.

Thanks

• 746 posts
    February 8, 2015 11:57 PM GMT

<---USA girl...sorry, cannot help!