Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Creative Writing » Some of Linda's Class works

Some of Linda's Class works

Tags : None
  • The Day of Mr. Fat Chin

To start this out Mr. Fat Chin is just an ordinary guy, working a labor job in a machine shop reading a computer to run the machine. You know the one that nothing happens to. Day in day out, same same. Well read what happens to him this one day. Oh lets skip the formalities and just call him Fat.

Fat’s alarm goes off like normal,day in day out work day. He groggily rolls to the side of the bed and puts his feet on the floor and runs his feet over to find his slippers. He shuts off the alarm clock before the buzzer changes over to play his programmed song by Dolly Parton “ Working 9 to 5”. As he does that he tips over the water glass on the the night table sweeping his glasses to the floor. Fumbling to see through his sleepiness and blindness. He says oh this is great. He flops back down on the bed and recoups his thoughts. This is not happening today he thinks in his mind.

As he lays there, for what he thought was a moment was twenty minutes, he re awoke and realized the time and had to pee badly now. As he walks to the bathroom he turns on the coffee pot and puts his toast in the toaster. Again he realizes he is running late but looks back at the clock and says to himself, I am ok enough time. He stops and says Fat gets a grip, it is just another work day, slow down. You don’t matter other than a number on a punch card. As he pauses, the smoke alarm goes off, oh crud the toast burnt again. Waves a towel around to shut it off; I need to get a new toaster.

Ok let’s move on with this day and get the newspaper and a cigarette with my coffee. As he is walking down the stairwell of the apartment building, Miss Jones is coming out her door. She is in a gasp!! Mister Chin she exclaims! What are you doing here in your underwear?  Oops, sorry, Miss Jones, I was getting my paper and I seem to have got up late and didn’t realize I was still under dressed. (Dang! Do I run back up the stairs and hide?) Fat swallows deeply in his blushing and scurries back up the stairs to his door, phew. I am surely not doing well today, he thinks to himself.

As he opens the paper he reaches for his cigarette package and lighter. Opens the box and it is empty. He then says, oh I have some in the draw go to the draw but instead of finding a pack he finds a note he left himself yesterday. The note reads “buy some butts on the way home” funny thing is the note was dated day before yesterday. Ok this is not going well; I will just walk down to the corner store and get a pack. Fat gets semi dressed grabs his wallet and out he goes. As he is walking down the street he is thinking about his coffee and paper just sitting there waiting. As he enters the store the clerk greats him and says “oh my! Mr. Chin is something wrong? “No why do you ask? Well you are in pajama bottoms and they are on backwards and you have one shoe and one slipper on. Fats looks down and turns another shade of blushing red. Fat asks the clerk for a pack of Pimento reds. The clerks says sorry but we are all out we have the green menthols. No thanks I will just get them some where else. Sorry the clerk says.  How is  this day going to be ? he thinks to himself and walks back home. Ahh I will grab the car and go a few more blocks down and get some. Fat gets in his car and starts driving off . As he is driving  he sees something flopping on his windshield, crud another stupid sales flyer.  Arrives at the gas station, parks and gets out. Removing the flopping thing on the windshield he sees it is not a sales flyer but a parking ticket. He exclaims oh aint this damn great! He walks in the store and asks for his brand of smokes. The clerk looks at him oddly and fats say don’t ask. I am sorry sir but we are all out of them the clerk politely says. Oh aint that freaking great. Fat kind of storms out and gets in his car and drives off. Yep right off the curb into traffic. On he goes one more station nearby, Arrives there and goes in, yet another store with out his pimento reds.  As Fat is looking at his watch he drives over to his cousin’s place I Know my cousin Baldlychin will have some. Almost cutting off traffic he pulls in the lot and walks in the store. As he looks at his cousin and his cousin looks at him. Fat, just out loudly, says don’t you even ask I just want a pack of smokes. His cousin looks up at the cigarette rack and there is one pack of pimento reds. Oh my gosh finally some one has some. Fat opens the brand new pack and there is only one cigarette in the pack. Lays the pack on the counter and looks up at his cousin and says you have to be kidding me. This is not funny, give me another pack please. Fat that was the last pack I have. Ok, ok what ever I need to get back home and ready for work and enjoy this cigarette with my coffee and paper. If I don’t, my day will be really bad. Fat drives back across town and goes home. AHH lets sit down and have some coffee and this butt and get dressed for work. Oh, dang to late to read the paper, I’ll just read it tonight.

Fat gets dressed and drives to work and gets there ok. Punches in and work is doing fine.  Few other workers ask what’s wrong and he explains. At morning break he goes out to the roach coach and pays 7 bucks for a pack of pimento reds. This time the pack was full and no silly jokes. Fat, thinking to himself and thinking how things have been so far it has been rather funny morning.  He sits down on the bench and lites one up and inhales and enjoys it and then the bell goes off back to work at his machine running a computer terminal punching out metal parts for washing machines. The rest of the morning goes fine.

Lunch time rolls around and the buzzer sounds off for his crew to take lunch. Dang about time I am hungry with all that running around this morning. I need to wash my hands and punch out and warm up my left overs. Fat walks into the lunch room and into a line because of the over lapping shifts this week. Seems like everyone needs the microwave oven today. As everyone is pushing and talking in line Fat grabs his lunch out of his bag and gets it ready for the glorious microwave treatment. He thinks if I was just friends with some one that owned a tanning salon near work I could broil my lunch. Fat I need to talk to you, his shift boss says to him as he puts his lunch in the microwave. Turns quickly and yes, yes sir. Turns back and sets the timer on the microwave. The boss says your department is down on production this week and I know it is because of the extra shifts so just keep up the good work. The boss walks off; the microwave blows up because you had tinfoil still on your leftovers. He looks back and it is you that did it. You shrug your shoulders and hang your head. Looking back at the line behind you and the people in the lunch room you can’t crawl out smaller than an ant. What does this all mean, Fat asks himself. He is afraid to even answer himself.

As Fat is cleaning up his mess he is looking around and say oh my, what have I done now. Then all out of no where comes the hot blonde from the front office. Gosh he thinks to himself if I could just get up the nerve to ask her, her name.  She glances at him with a smirk look. “Like you have a chance”. She walks off as his hands are fully of paper towels and stuff. I have to get a grip.

Fat walks over to the open table and sets down his lunch bag and his now lunch mess and goes to sit down. Not paying attention he misses the chair and falls to the floor. In a loud crash the whole lunch room turns back and looks at him again. Now where to hide this time again. Fat sits down, see his lunch is now an apple and a mess. He puts the apple in his pocket, throws the rest in the trash, even the container from home. He feels so ashamed and a fool. I better clean my area like I do or I will be even a bigger fool.

Fat looks at the big clock on the wall at the end of the lunch room. It is ticking off the seconds left to his lunch break. Dang I better run out and have a cigarette before I go back my station. As he walks across the parking area to the smoking area in the grass. Fat attempts to lite his cigarette. His lighter blows up with a big flame and that was that for that lighter. Fat asks another worker for a lite and gets ready to sit down and enjoy it. But sure enough the 2 minute buzzer sounds to the end of lunch. He looks up and down and says why me? Why me today? Well, I best get my butt inside and punch in. Fat walks inside and everyone is at the time clock. Finally he punches in. looking at his time card he realizes something is wrong. He punched in an hour late and now is punching in an hour late from his lunch. He looks up at the bulletin board and in a big flyer it reads. To day we need to set the clocks backs so please see your supervisor for the corrections. Oh great. I need to take care of this later I need to get back to work. Fat goes to the restroom to wash up from lunch and gets to his machine and starts back on the line with his crew.

A few minuets goes by and his phone on his panel is ringing. He pauses for a second to answer it. Ok, this is the boss calling me up front for something, I just know it is. Or did I forget to change the roll in the panel line? What the heck could this be? As he goes to grab the receiver he hears a big crunch and his computer terminal goes all freaky in front of him. Now, what exclaims. Almost in slow motion as he is reaching out his hand over the loud speaker bellows out.” Fat Chin you have a call on line 5.” And there after in the stern voice of his boss, over the same loud speaker, “Fat you know no personnel calls while on the clock”. What do I do? Fat picks up the phone and it is his cousin Baldchinny. “What do you want? You know I can’t get calls at work. Yes I know but I wanted to tell you I got your cigs in today in the order and I will bring some by tonight at dinner time.  Oh, that’s great sorry I yelled at you like that but could you bring me a couple new lighters also. Mine just blew up at lunch. I will see you later tonight and thank you. Right now I am having a computer and line issue and I bet the boss will be down on my butt soon if it is not fixed. Fat hangs up and wishes he could have a smoke break right now, this can’t get any worse. A few seconds pass by and out of no where the full shop just down alarm goes off. Buzzers and whistles and red and yellow flashing lights going off, you can’t even think except to run to the exist doors and over the loud speaker blazes this voice. Sounded like God speaking and thunderbolts. “Mr. Fat Chin, report to my office right now”  “all you others can resume work once the plant security resets your production lines”. I do not expect this little delay will not hinder the production numbers for the day” “If it does, it will reflect in your pay checks next week” Oh, crud Fat thinks the voice of the company god has spoken. I can’t part my hair right never mind part the company seas. What have I done?

As I walk toward the stairs I sink in my shoes and ask myself “what could I have done”. I punched in late. Punched in late from lunch, forgot to change the toilet paper in the rest room? Ai know blew up my lunch in the lunch line. No, that can’t be it. Did I park in his space last week? No that’s not it. Well here goes. I guess unemployment after 26 years could not be that bad. I will just take it and hope for a good letter of reference. Maybe I could get a ticket to the company party this year.

As Fat walks into his boss’s, bosses, bosses, boss’s office. He sees a table full of company big wigs. There is a letter on the grand marble table, facing him. The man at the other end of this long table says Mr. Fat we need you to sign that and then we can move on. Ok, sir if you say so; do I still have my job? Oh course you do. Your mistake has saved us thousands of dollars in production. That mistake as you put it last month changed the line now and we will get a better product at a better savings. More profit for us, well not more in you pocket but in ours. As Fat signs away he looks up and the big Boss ahs a grin like a lion that just eat a lamb.  So, so Sirs can I get back to work? Sure you can says God, matter of fact you can leave 15 minutes early today since we used up       your break time. Fat responses well thank you sir.

As I walk back down and everyone is looking at me I wonder what the heck just happen. What did I do? Oh well, I only have a job and only 2 hours to go before I get to leave. Back to my hole and grind. I hope it passes fast. I keep watching the clock it is now 4:10 and I get to punch out, yea.

Ok, I need another cigarette, dang it I have no lighter. As I get in my car I realize it had rained some and now my seat is wet. I reach in the ash tray no matches I look over the visor none either. As I reach over to the glove box Ms. Blonde bombshell leans near the window and asks “need a light”. I dang near choke. Yes, please as she hands me the matches I look up and realize it was nothing more than a dream, phew. I turn the key in my rat box car and of course it goes vrumph , click blah and then starts up like I kicked it.

I best just drive home and get this day over. As I walk in the door guess who I meet ? Mrs. Jones and her dog. “Well Mr. Chin, I see you are dressed this time as we meet” Yes ma’am sorry about this morning I will not do it again. As I walked up the stairs, I would swear she said something like nice butt. Well enough of that. As I sit down and look at the morning paper that I never did read I feel as thought I am getting hungry. Fat walks to the refrig only to see a note he left himself the day before go shopping. “ Oh gosh no food, why do I leave notes when I forget  them?”

Ok, MacWays is just a few blocks over and I do like those burgers and I don’t feel like even cooking. So back in the car I go. I go to light another cig and use all my matches up. I am more hungry than smoking so that’s ok. As I pull in the lot,  I see it is full and the drive up is just as full. Well let me turn the radio back on to get rid of that noise from the fender. Nice tune , humming, humming. Over the crackling speaker comes a voice can I take your order, please? In the back ground I hear some one saying will these people ever order right? As Fat clears his thought and speaks loudly , almost yelling. “ I will have a half pounder and a large fry and a cola, please. The speaker goes  silent ,” so dude you want a number four meal combo and what like others hold the grease or just why don’t you just pull up to the heart attack line.  The gal on the speaker comes back so that is a ½ pounder and a fry and cola? Please pull up to the window. As I move up, I was wondering was that some one on the speaker or was that me talking to myself? Gosh, what is? Is my mind today? Thank you it will be 11.95, say what!, 11.95 !!! Well you did include your order with the people in front of you. Pardon me , I did not . Ok, sir that’s fine you are 3.88., well thank you. As I drive off some thing tells me to check my order. Sure enough no burger, damn it . Back in line I go.

Fat goes back through the drive through only to find out any dispute has to be settled inside with the shift manager. He is still calm but getting heated now.  As I walk in I find myself at the end of a 20 some odd person line and I stand and wait. “ I don’t want to ruin some one’s day with my meal order”. Once at the counter, he is met with the same gal from the drive threw window. She exclaims” what do you want? Please hurry as you see we are busy and it is near my break time” Miss, I am sorry but it seems there has been a mistake with my order. “ Oh sure there is. You want a missing  burger that you ate in line and now want another?”  She gets on the loud speaker “ manager to the front we have another missing burger” “oh, don’t rush judging by his looks he ate it”. Sir, if you could step over there some one will be with you, she says under her breath you could use a shave and bath. She yells out next what do you want? I sit back and remember the day when a customer was the reason you got a pay check but I guess that is gone now.

As I walk back to my car as a humble fool, I feel down sided but I will take that because I am me. Off I drive, I fumble for more matches but find none; need to stop at the store but I see the time Baldchinny will be over. I trudge up the stairs for another time today, I flop, my now cold dinner, on the table and I look around my little place, I call this home? Is it really home or just a place? I have no answer to myself. As I go to sit down I wonder about if I will miss the chair again this time.

As Fat begins to eat his dinner there is a knock on the door. He gets up and answers the door, not that the door itself was talking. He opens the door and it is his cousin Baldchinny. Welcome he says, his cousin says man you look like something the cat dragged in. What happen? Fat responds, it is to long and you just don’t want to know. They sit down at the kitchen table and Fat offers some cold French fries to him. “No thanks” his cousin replies. As they sit and talk Baldchinny lites a fresh cigarette from the one he brought with one of the new lighters. Neither one is paying attention. But just talking about the day and things that happen. As they sit there the MacWay empty bag is on the stove smoldering on the warm stove burner. The smoke alarm goes off again. Gosh darn it , I have nothing cooking that things seems to go off any time it wants , Fat yells out and madly gets up and  removes the thing from the wall. “There you piece of crud, I have your battery, take that! Fat goes to sit down but stops to ask Baldchinny if he would like something to drink. No, no thanks Baldchinny says. As they are talking the bag on the stove erupts in flames. Baldchinny swings around in his chair and jumps up in excitement. “Dude the stove is on fire” Fat calmly says I see that and stands up. Yep, what else could go wrong today? As, Fat moves toward the fire in a semi haste the curtains catch on fire and then the wall paper. The fire is now in a rage in the kitchen. Baldchinny is spraying water from the sink and throws Fat’s soda on it. Fat grabs the fire extinguisher but that don’t help. All of sudden the fire department busts down the door and comes crashing in. There is yelling and screaming and smoke is every where. They tear his kitchen apart and put out the fire. As they are leaving they tell him. Thank goodness you are safe and we will send you a bill later this week. Baldchinny sets back and says I guess I should go now.

What kind of day is this? I think I will just go to bed and deal with this in the morning. As Fat lies on his bed and drifts off to sleep, what seemed like hours, the alarm goes off. He rolls over to shut it off and looks at the time and then clicks the tab on the clock again to show the day, it is Saturday. As he, wearily, gets up and looks around his home is just fine. Oh my gosh, he screams out “IT WAS ALL A DREAM” I better not eat peanut butter again before going to bed.

This Story is the collective efforts of Writing Class Session. I would like to thank my class members BeatyLee, Paul D. and Tom T. . I used the class notes to write this story and I fabricated . The lesson for this class was “creating story action”. Sonny 5/29/12

June 27, 2012 3:33 PM BST