Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Significant Others Info » Family will not be seen out with us.

Family will not be seen out with us.

Tags : None
  • Whenever we go and see family we have to stay in the house. All pub visits or shopping is a big no go area with any of my family as someone may see and ask questions. My partner is effectively a prisoner until it's time to go home.
    This puts quiet a lot of strain on us both as family want me to accompany them to various places but my partner is not invited. Has anyone else been in this situation? I would like to hear your story if so.

January 30, 2013 8:25 PM GMT
    Yep chick! Deffo in that situation. My lot has told me that they want nothing to do with Mandy. This all came about when they kept refering to her as he/him and using her previous (male) name. I was all like WTF just stop!

Its very seperate now. Its me and Mandy. Thats pretty much it at the mo.

Me and my mum are building bridges. The things that my brother has said to Mandy will take longer to forgive
    E-J XX
      February 7, 2013 2:04 AM GMT
    How's it going Elsa? Is it still the same?
      February 18, 2013 5:05 PM GMT
  • Pretty much, yes Elle. My mother tries her best to use the female suffix's and my partners female name. My father refuses to and still refers to her as a male. I can see her getting uncomfortable as the night wears on the more times my dad says Mark and 'mate'. :(
    I know it is difficult and I understand why they feel uncomfortable in public with her as she still looks very masculine and people can be very cruel. They have tried it a couple of times in a place where nobody knows them but they spend most of the night looking at everyone elses reactions and wondering whether a fight is going to break out or if the group next to them who are laughing are laughing at my partner. They just cannot rest so it makes me uneasy. My partner isn't someone who blends in. We are both 6 foot and Ama wears 4 inch heals normally and a mini skirt with D cup breasts, so we tend to get a lot of looks.
      February 18, 2013 7:48 PM GMT
    Oh heck Elsa. how long have your folks known about Ama? Do you think they'll ever be comfortable? What about you two.. How do your friends react?
    Sorry I can't offer any practical advice... I don't honestly know how things will be for us... X
      February 18, 2013 10:23 PM GMT
  • They new she liked to dress before we got married in 2002 but she never did when we went out with my parents.
    Ama told my family 4 years ago about living as a female full-time and being referred for surgery. In comparison to many stories I have read my family have been very accomodating. There have been very tense moments, don't get me wrong, it's been a long process of helping them come to terms with what is happening, and the journey is far from finished. Generally though we are welcome in there home, just not in public.
    Friend have been the most accepting really. Only a small handful have bit the dust. I think if you have a strong friendship circle you will find they will be there for you through thick and thin.
    Don't be sorry Elle, it's good to chat. Only time will tell what it will be like for you both. Just take each day at a time and know that there are people here for you :)
      February 19, 2013 1:27 PM GMT