Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » UK Transgender Law » Home page item saved difficulties with records

Home page item saved difficulties with records

Tags : None
  • Maggie MacDonaldThe receptionist at my GP's has just told me the local authority (southwark) has written to them to change the title on my prescriptions to Mr Margaret MacDonald. It was Ms but now it's Mr. Who benefits from this genius decision? I'd rather have no title ...  more

•  
      Cristine, Shye (GS Admin) Record Keeping
      Medical record-keeping for trans people can be a challenge for clinicians and staff. Names and titles must be changed to reflect current gender status; this should always be done as a matter of courtesy and is not dependent on having a Gender Recognition Certificate. However, most doctors prefer to have evidence of the permanency of the name change, by way of Deed Poll or Statutory Declaration before making official changes to the patient notes. Treatment must not be withheld on the basis that a patient has not provided either of these documents.  less
      • 31 minutes ago
      • -
      • delete
      • -
      • -
      • 1 likes this
    •  
      Maggie MacDonaldI like your style Lucy! X
      • 29 minutes ago
      • -
      • delete
      • -
    •  
      Cristine, Shye (GS Admin) It is good practice to ensure that transsexual individuals, and also those not specifically covered by these laws, but who fall under the wider ‘trans’ or ‘transgender’ umbrella are accorded patient-centred, respectful, sensitive and flexible responses to their unique gender needs. The entire trans population is protected to some degree by the Human Rights Act 1998, that gives further effect to rights and freedoms guaranteed under the European Convention on Human Rights.

• Cristine, Shye (GS Admin) According to the GP notebook site: "Trans patients have a legal right to change their name and gender on their NHS records and would be able to bring a civil claim against any GP or practice which refused to accede to their request".
      "The process is as follows:

• " the patient informs the GP, or directly informs the PCT, that they are transitioning and that in future they would be known by their new name and gender. They can write a "Statutory Declaration", they may have a deed poll document, or they may simply make a request. This request should be in writing, signed by the patient;
      " the GP writes to the Registration Office at the PCT. The GP may write a letter of support confirming the gender role change and that this change is intended to be permanent, but this is not a requirement;
      " the Registration Office then writes to the Personal Demographics' Service National Back Office. The National Back Office will create a new identity with a new NHS number and requests the records held by the patient's GP. These re...    less
      • 9 minutes ago
      • -
      • delete
      • -
    •  
      Lucy Diamond Indeed Cristine, they are in contravention of European human rights. There is no way they'd go to court over this, it'd cost them a fortune! They simply need to be informed of the error of their ways.
      xx
    Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
    This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at February 19, 2016 2:36 PM GMT
      March 29, 2013 8:26 PM GMT
  • Done and now Maggie informs me Everything is getting sorted.

I do have some uses, lol
      April 3, 2013 3:46 PM BST
  • And yet another member of the site, having a problem with their local GP practice about a gender marker. for gods sake they are being treated by that practice and refered by them. how stupid can doctors get.

suggested letter

Dear Sir/Madam

"Trans patients have a legal right to change their name and gender on their NHS records and would be able to bring a civil claim against any GP or practice which refused to accede to their request".
    "The process is as follows:
    " the patient informs the GP, or directly informs the PCT, that they are transitioning and that in future they would be known by their new name and gender. They can write a "Statutory Declaration", they may have a deed poll document, or they may simply make a request. This request should be in writing, signed by the patient;
    " the GP writes to the Registration Office at the PCT. The GP may write a letter of support confirming the gender role change and that this change is intended to be permanent, but this is not a requirement;
    " the Registration Office then writes to the Personal Demographics' Service National Back Office. The National Back Office will create a new identity with a new NHS number and requests the records held by the patient's GP to have the gender marker altered accordingly..

(Change of Name) Regulations 1994, Statutory Instrument 1994 No. 604.

I find your intolerance and attitude discriminatory and contrary to the relevant acts of parliament, the requirement for your co-operation in making the changes requested.

Unless your immediate attention is given to this matter you will leave me no option but to make service upon you by instructing solicitors to act on my behalf, with any ensuing costs and a claim for distress.

''The Adult Deed Poll will enable those persons aged 16 or over to change their legal name by Deed Poll.

**people who have had or who are having gender reassignment may choose to change their gender title from Ms to Mr or vice versa. [in accordance with the UK gender Recognition Act 2004/05 as revised 2008}**''

I must also remind you of the confidentiality clause in the said act,

Yours etc

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at July 11, 2013 11:04 AM BST
      July 10, 2013 9:20 PM BST
  • And many thanks again for your help with this one Crissie.

I read it to the receptionist over the phone and said I'd taken some legal advice.

The letter tells them exactly what they have to do, and about 20 minutes later they called back saying they would be doing just that.

I got my new medical number and card pretty soon afterwards. No more taking in prescriptions with Mr Margaret MacDonald on them! I've got a pretty thick skin but that really did pee me off.

And wouldn't you just know it, I got a breast screening appointment sent to me this very day! If only I had something to screen!

I've never had a proper explanation from Southwark PCT or Southwark Council as to why they got it so spectacularly wrong although they have both sent apologies. It is pretty obvious to me that among other things, there were religious and cultural forces working against me. The manager I spoke to more or less admitted it. If an employee doesnt think its "right" it goes no further than the bin. Worse than that is a culture of not asking what should be done for fear of looking stupid. 

I know one guy whos feeling pretty stupid now! 

As far as the council go, I have been assured that the whole department have been sent for LGBT awareness training.

Us 2 - Southwark 0

This post was edited by Former Member at July 11, 2013 12:43 AM BST
      July 11, 2013 12:41 AM BST
  • Interestingly, here in Germany, at my first appointment with the endo the assistant at reception wrote "address as Ms." prominently on the top of the folder. That was in 2010 and I should perhaps point out that I was, and am, still officially 'Mr' but I've been more or less unofficially full time since 2008! I've got to get a new passport next year so I'm gradually starting to get the paperwork together.

"It ain't what you do,it's the way that you do it............and that's what gets results!"
      September 11, 2014 8:13 PM BST
  • Lynn

Protection. in Germany for non German nationals is not the same as for German nationals, the last time I read up on it, so it might be more expediant to do all your basic paperwork in the UK.

September 11, 2014 9:05 PM BST
  • Christine,

I am fully aware that certain items, e.g. Passport, have to be done in the UK. Everything else follows on from that- UK specific in the UK, Germany specific in Germany.

"It ain't what you do,it's the way that you do it............and that's what gets results!"
      September 12, 2014 9:15 AM BST
  • I am fully aware that certain items, e.g. Passport, have to be done in the UK. Everything else follows on from that- UK specific in the UK, Germany specific in Germany.

However, nowadays everything's done via internet...........

Lynn

October 23, 2017 3:07 PM BST