The Process

• 77 posts
    May 20, 2013 4:08 PM BST

We are all somewhere in or journey to transition. Where is every one at and how was it for you to get to the point that you’re at now?

Right now I have just started hormone therapy and am saving up to get my top surgery done. I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get started hormone therapy, but I did it through the veteran’s services. It took me two counseling sessions which were a nightmare and all together it is a frustrating story all on its own. Anyways $200 dollars later I got a letter that used all the wrong pronouns and stated I was possibly average intelligence. It was very aggravating and belittling. Next step was finding a doctor who would accept my letter. When I found one I actually became greatly ill and they didn't want to proceed until they figured out exactly what is wrong. I later found out that the Veterans health care will cover my hormone therapy and decided to go that route, so I wouldn’t have to pay anything out of pocket and can save more for my top surgery. I had to do a lot of test and make a lot of 3 hour drives because the clinic to do all this was in a different state. They paid for my gas to travel though which was nice. I started this whole process in November of 2012 and got my first shot May 2013. They were also willing to write a letter saying I have transitioned, so I could get my gender marker changed on my driver’s license.

<!--[if gte mso 9]> <![endif]-->

<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} <![endif]-->