Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Significant Others Info » For the parents of transgender children

For the parents of transgender children

Tags : None
  • Following on from Paris Lee's very moving article about Father's Day, this is why I have so much respect for the parents of transgender children and why I think they deserve a special day where we can thank them and celebrate their love and understanding:-

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/06/16/12/34/transgender-girl-wins-right-to-use-girls-toilets
    This post was edited by Former Member at June 17, 2013 10:23 AM BST
      June 17, 2013 10:20 AM BST
  • I think transgender children are so lucky to have supportive parents things have change dramaticly over the years

Christy Bradford
      June 17, 2013 12:03 PM BST
  • Unfortunately, there are still many parents who will not recognise their child's (both young and older) transgenderism Christy, which is why organisations such as Mermaids Liason are so important as they give families the support and knowledge that enables them to understand and help their child.

I was desperately fortunate in that my mother (and wider family) supported me all those years ago, but we still hear today (even here in this site) of horror stories of how parents are still rejecting their child and casting them out from their families.

This post was edited by Former Member at June 17, 2013 1:23 PM BST
      June 17, 2013 1:22 PM BST
  •  What we really need is a special day for those parents that support the choices in life that their children make.
     Gender choice is one area - but there are many people ostracized by their families for not marrying in the same faith... or the within the same race, or the same social level etc.
     When you love your children... you love them regardless of their gender, religious, or social choices.

<p>Doanna Highland</p>
      June 18, 2013 3:53 AM BST
  • Maybe it is different in your part of the world still Doanna, but over here in the UK, mixed marriages (whether race or religion) are pretty commonplace these days and most people don't think twice about it.  I do think that parents do have a hard time with transgender children though, it is simply not just because of the social stigma that still exisits (although this is being broken down), it is because all too often they have to fight the authorities to get the acceptance for their child (eg schools, other parents, the medical profession etc) - and maybe even more so, the knowledge that by supporting their child's decision they know that they are also accepting that their child will probably have painful and very dangerous surgery in order to become themselves.  This is why I think those parents are so much more special and deserving than the other ctaegories that you mention.

June 18, 2013 8:49 AM BST