Question 13

• 77 posts
    August 5, 2013 10:37 PM BST

Here is the next trans challenge question.

13) Bathrooms.

Ok note I don't write these questions so I'm assuming how do you handle the bathroom issue being trans.

For me it was difficult. Where I live it is a couple of years on probation for using the wrong bathroom. After getting my gender marker changed on my drivers licence I began to use the male restroom since I legally was able to. It was difficult in the begining because I have large breasts and so they are impossible to hide. This is always my fear that someone will notice and I'll have a conflict in the restroom. I now have a homemade device to help me to stand to pee so I'm less nervouse when using public restrooms. When there are to many people I'll use a stall, but when there is only a few to none I'll use the urinal. I still get anxious but that has decreased since I've started testosterone and can now use a urinal.

What about every one else how do you handle the bathroom issues and or what do you think about this topic..

• 2017 posts
    August 9, 2013 6:47 PM BST

Bathrooms are always tricky to begin with but I found the crossover point came naturally and smoothly. For me, it was when I got odd looks for being in a male bathroom or guys coming in would check the door sign to make sure they had the right one. lol. That was when I was very much 'in-between' and didn't wear make up daily. I took it as a sign to switch and have never had an issue since. 

Around the same time, I found I was being addressed as a lady in shops or on the street by vendors so it was easy to figure out that if that if that was happening without any effort on my part, going full time should be simple enough. So it was. 

In some respects toilets easier for MtF's as you have a stall every time, although there is more likely to be a queue and other women in close proximity at the mirrors, driers etc and therefore more interaction. Whereas a guy goes in to pee and get out in the minimum of fuss without looking around him for fear of being labelled gay or something. Too much hanging around in there gets tongues wagging so no one takes any notice of anyone else much. 

It must be very problematic for an FtM to stand and use a urinal for the first time though. 

• 77 posts
    August 18, 2013 5:04 AM BST

I had a simmilar issue when I used female restrooms i often was confronted or women would double check the restroom sign. Since I switched it has been easier and like you said less interation. In the mens restroom no one realy looks or pays attention to who is in the bathroom. In the womens they are nosy and they stay in there forever. Leaning to stand to pee is a challenge or least it was for me. It took a lot of practice, but I learned it is easier to stand at a urinal than a toilet because it dosn't splatter. Due to not having much money though I built a device from a medicien spoon so it is descreate and small enough I can clean it after each time without anyone seeing it.